Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

Anyone else feel slightly dirty for winning it on boundary count lol 

Think we were the better side throughout the tournament. Beat them in the group stages, finished above them etc. But something deep down just doesn’t feel quite right lol 

Suppose the rules have been there for a while so it is what it is. Ultimately I’m just glad it was our turn to celebrate some good fortune 

Guest MattP
18 minutes ago, Goober said:

Think we were the better side throughout the tournament. Beat them in the group stages, finished above them etc. But something deep down just doesn’t feel quite right lol 

Suppose the rules have been there for a while so it is what it is. Ultimately I’m just glad it was our turn to celebrate some good fortune 

It's outrageous isn't it? A tied match over 50 overs and then tied after a tie break over, the odds on that are unbelievable. 

It's been reported everywhere we "won" it on the super over, we didn't. 

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Add in Archer to that mix too. Guessing I'm not the only Leicestershire fan who had flashbacks to Scott Boswell after that first ball was given wide and the second got carted for six?

I was there that day, nerves completely got the better of him, felt for the bloke as he got little help from senior pros like Daffy and Wells, Somerset fans chanting bring back Bosey towards the end must of been dreadful for him.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It's outrageous isn't it? A tied match over 50 overs and then tied after a tie break over, the odds on that are unbelievable. 

There are times I kinda miss the old days where competitions used to be shared. I don't think anyone could truly argue if that final had been called a draw, both teams played their hearts out and neither deserved to lose. 

That said, the whole world cup isn't just the final and England were probably a better team than New Zealand in the tournament as a whole.

They'd have probably come top of the pile of Roy had played every game. 

24 minutes ago, Goober said:

Not really, it is the umpires call at the end of the day, no different to jason roy being given out on 85 against australia for a clear misjudgement by the umpire.

No team deserved to lose but I do think not having a winner would've made the sport look a bit muggish. Maybe boundaries wasn't the fairest way, but wickets lost penalises the chasing team (as happened in the super over too), so the toss becomes double weighted. We had a higher NRR, won more matches, the highest number of boundaries in the tournament and final, and beat NZ in the group stages. Be interesting to see if the ICC change the rules for next time but they were in place before the final began.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Technically we did win it on the super over. New Zealand required 16 and only managed 15.

3 hours ago, Goober said:

this is why every other sport will always be boring compared to football. people care more about “fair play” than winning. fu ck that.

couldn’t think of a better way to win anything than literally not winning it and still being world champions. only way it would’ve been more enjoyable is if we’d have cheated tbh. 

4 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

this is why every other sport will always be boring compared to football. people care more about “fair play” than winning. fu ck that.

couldn’t think of a better way to win anything than literally not winning it and still being world champions. only way it would’ve been more enjoyable is if we’d have cheated tbh. 

You're such a Scouse. 

• Haha 1

Probably already been said but how great is it that that game was on terrestrial tv. Those of my mates who normally couldn't give a rat's arse about cricket and label it boring were absolutely enthralled by it - let's hope the ECB really capitalise on the interest this WC generated and get people properly engaged in cricket in this country.

Expecting (and hoping) to see some massive crowds at the first t20 blast matches next week. Sky probably won't allow it but I'd love to see the first couple of those games stuck on terrestrial too. Let's really take advantage of the hype around cricket at the moment, because let's be honest, if yesterday's events can't inspire people to play cricket, nothing will.

• Like 1

Just read through that last 25 pages in this thread and it's brought it all back. ****ing hell. I've legitimately never been bothered about cricket but this summer I decided I'd take some genuine interest in this World Cup. Talk about it paying dividends. That was just amazing. I don't think I'll ever see anything like that again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

I’d have loved it if we’d done that to India(Sorry Stan)/Oz. The amount of boiled piss I’ve seen on twitter from them lot has been brilliant.

Just feel a bit for the kiwis, they didn’t deserve losing in that fashion. Hardworking bunch and a proper underdog team. Have a bit of Leicester about them. Think most if not all cricket/england fans would agree.

Didn’t stop me celebrating mind

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

More salt than saxa on the Internet. I’m definitely getting less bothered by the manner of how we won it. Simon Taufel stocking his oar in too cos we marmalised the bogans.

Did make me laugh, people on here saying it would have been glorious to beat the Aussie that way. 

Thing is, if you read social media you'd swear you had. The Aussie reaction has been an amazing outpouring of salt. 

They've taken it less graciously than the Kiwis lol

Not sure who you lot follow but not seen one person say they want the match replayed lol 

Everyone I've seen has been overjoyed at either the sheer spectacle of what occured and how it played out, cherishing and enjoying England's victory and crediting NZ for their part to play in the whole thing.

Anyone disagreeing is salty as fvck regardless of nationality!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not sure who you lot follow but not seen one person say they want the match replayed lol 

Everyone I've seen has been overjoyed at either the sheer spectacle of what occured and how it played out, cherishing and enjoying England's victory and crediting NZ for their part to play in the whole thing.

Anyone disagreeing is salty as fvck regardless of nationality!

Mostly the replies to Vaughan but he seems to be relishing in the controversy lol

Typical isn't it?  We win the WC and we have to find a way to show we didn't really...it's all very English...we won the football world cup didn't we...oh but wait the ball didn't really cross the line.

We won the WC!!!!!!!

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

No team deserved to lose but I do think not having a winner would've made the sport look a bit muggish. Maybe boundaries wasn't the fairest way, but wickets lost penalises the chasing team (as happened in the super over too), so the toss becomes double weighted. We had a higher NRR, won more matches, the highest number of boundaries in the tournament and final, and beat NZ in the group stages. Be interesting to see if the ICC change the rules for next time but they were in place before the final began.

Interesting point that. Perhaps it should go down to Head to Head in the group stages. The Cat amongst the Pigeons is if that game was a draw or rained off too lol

11 hours ago, Goober said:

I feel better about it because they batted second knowing they needed 16.

There was no grey area. Go and get 16 and they didnt.