Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cricket 2019

Guest MattP
9 hours ago, AKCJ said:

Right then chaps, what's your Ashes squad? Archer an absolute must. Do you pick Roy? Who keeps wicket? Who opens?

Loads of questions.

Archer is the interesting pick, massive step up to go from bowling ten overs a day twice a week to twenty five possible three times in five days - sure they will give him a go though. 

Roy has earnt his chance, they might dump Moeen as well now as he looks about finished. 

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Ashley said:

No he didnt, not at the point of the ball touching his bat. He scored 5 not 6.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket-world-cup-final-controversy-ben-stokes-incident-012600872.html

It's 6, you judge it after they have crossed - not whether it's completed.

"If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act,” 

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

No he didnt, not at the point of the ball touching his bat. He scored 5 not 6.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket-world-cup-final-controversy-ben-stokes-incident-012600872.html

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's 6, you judge it after they have crossed - not whether it's completed.

"If the boundary results from an overthrow or from the wilful act of a fielder, the runs scored shall be any runs for penalties awarded to either side, and the allowance for the boundary, and the runs completed by the batsmen, together with the run in progress if they had already crossed at the instant of the throw or act,” 

The wording of this law is hideous. Separating out 'runs completed' and 'the run in progress if they had already crossed...' has to mean crossing the other way to begin the next run surely? Otherwise it would be a run completed - a run isn't in progress if you've already crossed?

Edited by ealingfox

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The wording of this law is hideous. Separating out 'runs completed' and 'the run in progress if they had already crossed...' has to mean crossing the other way to begin the next run surely? Otherwise it would be a run completed - a run isn't in progress if you've already crossed?

It's basically to cover normal overthrows.

You have to have the rule of them "crossing" as that means the fielder is taking a chance to run them out - which merits punishment if they miss and no one is backing up.

I don't like it though you are punished for hitting the stumps and it rebounding for four or hitting the opponents bat and neither do the players given they never run if it happens. 

1 minute ago, MattP said:

It's basically to cover normal overthrows.

You have to have the rule of them "crossing" as that means the fielder is taking a chance to run them out - which merits punishment if they miss and no one is backing up.

I don't like it though you are punished for hitting the stumps and it rebounding for four or hitting the opponents bat and neither do the players given they never run if it happens. 

Yes but if they've already crossed 'at the instant of the throw' then the chance to run them out has gone, so it must mean crossing the other way.

It's definitely 4+2 runs but the wording of that law is not helpful.

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

As soon as the DVD releases I'll be purchasing it!

Me too,I had to use text/ internet to follow it from my hospital bed...  in Germany, planned all spring ,my TV sports priorities...then I miss them all. Still hoping to get out ( high % maybe not) Before 2nd day of 1st Ashes Test ...

I hope we don't need to wait until Xmas.

But it was tense

Guest MattP
10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Yes but if they've already crossed 'at the instant of the throw' then the chance to run them out has gone, so it must mean crossing the other way.

But the "instant of the throw" becomes irrelevant as soon as the ball has hit the stumps or Stokes bat as that's now "the act"

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

New Zealand are an incredible sporting nation

I've never been but I guess, like Ireland, it's a very outdoorsy place. Makes for good sportspeople in multiple codes.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Oh Jimmy 

He's such a good bloke. Genuinely a bit gutted it was them we beat. Imagine doing the Aussies over in that fashion though...

Rules are rules and the madness of that ending was the most entertaining sporting spectacle I've ever seen, but when it comes down to it wickets lost would have been a much fairer tie-breaker than either of the two methods used.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, MattP said:

But the "instant of the throw" becomes irrelevant as soon as the ball has hit the stumps or Stokes bat as that's now "the act"

That still doesn't explain why it needs to be separated out from runs completed, unless it means crossing the other way. A run is not in progress if you've already crossed, whether at the instant of the throw or the instant of it hitting the stumps.

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

I still can't get over that happening at a world Cup final. Stokes and Butler have the biggest balls in English sport. Incredible drama! 

Add in Archer to that mix too. Guessing I'm not the only Leicestershire fan who had flashbacks to Scott Boswell after that first ball was given wide and the second got carted for six?

• Like 1

Hey..all this talk about short runs..what about when players have been given wrongly out,or stupidly mis-use reviews.

Or tread on ropes when catching,make crap throw ins...not accumulating  singles when it doesn't seem to matter or don't run on the last ball,no matter what.or,or, or & again or!!

Our name is on the pot,contesting one of the great finals of all time,after beating a stronger positioned opponent,in the Semi-final...

It's also great when cricket....well just ain't cricket,and the fair game ain't fair!!

If we had lost,the media around the world,would also of looked for the could ofs and should ofs..!!!

We have it, let's discuss for the next 100 years like the 1966 cross-bar...

WE FKING HAVE IT,

Like the song

"SO MANY TEARS HAVE TO FLOW"

Yasaszaaaa

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Oh Jimmy 

Sometimes,even a Kiwi has to feel the pain...

But they played their part,and we go down in their tearfull history like England so many times in theirs at some sporting event..especially the 2 rugby

Disciplines....India,Aussies,Pakistan,

W.indies had to take the backseat,S.Africa always take the Backseat...

Yesterday the pain was always going to be cutting deep whoever lost, but we both created history and had buckets of proud moments....22 players ,giving their all, even those with mistakes turned something into positives..

Guptill,Roy,Wood,Southee!! Archer & Stokes...

Get a life !!  You slimeballs & cynics,the should ofs,could ofs God's and tarat cards came out on the English side for a change...:frantics:

WOW, that was just an amazing match and a privilege to watch. it looked like it was going away from England with the run rate going up and up but Stokes was just incredible and so funny when it hit his bat and went to the boundary.  it just got so nerve racking and the tension was just building and building. well done England

Wow. On holiday in Devon at the moment. I listened to most of the game on the beach and then we went to a family bbq and watched the last hour or so there. A few keen cricketers watching but most people there not fussed to start with. But that last over and the super over. Absolutely incredible drama, and as it unfolded, more and more people flocked to the TV. My two kids, previously never shown much of an interest in cricket were gripped by it. 

Amazing stuff. Every now and again sport throws up moments of pure theatre, but I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that. 

3 hours ago, ealingfox said:

it's if the ball is thrown before the last crossing, then that last run can't be included as the overthrows are the score for that last run.

Astonishing sport, it's up there with the most iconic moments of all time. I don't even know where to start with that?

New Zealand are a phenomenal collective at ODI, really admire the way they play and it was gut wrenching for either team to lose given how they both played. If they had won it would have been typical for England to be on the end of such circumstances but fortunately it went our way. The sporting gods were on our side, so many outrageous things happened in those closing stages.

Ben Stokes just loves it doesn't he? Absolute animal on and off the pitch and no better man for the job under pressure. Buttler as well was ice cool and so much bottle.

Thoroughly enjoyed this tournament and what better for the Ashes now only a couple of weeks away. BRING IT

• Like 1