Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Newcastle (H) Post match thread

3 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

From what I've seen of the highlights we weren't as bad as some in here are making out.  Vardy was dead unlucky with one effort, Barnes too, had one of them had gone in it would have been a different story.

Lucky you only see the highlights. Was a complete waste of 2 hours of my already dreary life. Lol

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

We need 2 centrebacls that bring the ball out and play a forward pass. This slowing down the game by passing across the back 4 is turgid, and only serves to allow the opposition to get back in numbers.  Hopefully Benko next season will change this.  

Absolutely was driving me nuts yesterday. Every time Morgan got the ball just looked for either Chillwell or Maddison. Slowed the game right down. Also really like annoying is the constant Chillwell to Barnes all game long. Wasn't working and kept going to the well. It is so obvious to play against us because you know where we will try to run. Just block Chillwell's lane and we are done for the day. Frustrating

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FIF said:

Dan, if we're supposed to be challenging to break into the top 6, if we're supposed to be no.7 - the best of the rest  - then we can't lose at HOME to Newcastle or Watford or Everton. Those teams we have to put away at home and get a dra away from home. The team that finish 6th this year will have beaten just about every 7th and lower team at home. Our results show that we are a mid table team. I don't have a problem with that but let's not pretend we're better than we are. Reading all the shit about Wolves in the league thread is sad for a team that can't beat Newcastle at home - a team that hadn't won away for four months.

I don't dispute a single one of those comments but I was merely pointing out that you write Newcastle off but use their results against Wolves and Watford against us when in reality those two didn't actually do much better - as previously stated Wolves' goal against them shouldn't have even counted.

I haven't got a clue what you're getting at regarding this whole "pretend we're better than we are". I've not done that at any point this season but according to plenty on here that's called moaning.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Breaking down these stubborn sides who shit-house their way to one-nil wins against us at the KP will be Brendan's biggest test of all I think.

I think he’s got to replace certain personnel.

Bringing on Mendy and Iheanacho to try to get back into the game is not good enough at this level. We’ve spoken about Gray’s inability to produce the final pass and however much I like Wilf, he just gives the ball away too often. 

The side still lacks some spark in key areas imo. 

That's the same problem every manager has But BR failed miserably last night.

Mendy was the right call but he should have done earlier. His presence is What largely gave us a foothold in the midfield were he was able to assist NDiddi. What I'd have liked to see him do was move Maddison right into the heart of their defence and see how they managed to contain him. I bet they would have been petrified with his tight control and sharp turns. While Tilly could have ran the midfield with Ricardo and Barnes playing a free role. Supported by Chilwell.

I'm just so surprised BR was so inept last night and the Master Rafa clearly won the night.

3 minutes ago, M0901 said:

How? Genuinely, how? Define "cleverer?" 

His decision making - with the ball/ without the ball yes he’s playing in a good side yet he still is one of their standouts this season - assists, runs, passing. Has had the odd error , as has chilwell, but when it comes to going forward and linking play he is without a doubt better than chilwell

• Like 1

Last night explained why Puel played Wilf and Mendy for so long. 

Newcastle simply blocked the passing lines into Tielemans and Maddison. Wilf isn’t good enough to thread a ball through. The full back/wingers relationships are not quite there either to utilise that option of getting past the midfield line. 

So Rodgers went for getting Tielemans play a bit deeper and then it puts the burden off Wilf. It was the same issue Puel had - he couldn’t get the ball into Maddison, so he went with two DMs to sit and allow the **** backs to bomb on more. 

I know we had old Rodgers with Plan B comment, but occasionally the manager/players have to realise that for all your tactics/formations, you have to simply up the tempo and quicken the pace of the game. Even to the point of making every throw in quick etc. The game opens up. City did this for a good spell in the second half but Newcastle quickly stamped it out when Ritchie found an injury. 

Gotta get streetwise. Bit of a lesson and a good example for Rodgers to see the issues we have. 

Fair ****s to Newcastle - tactics spot on, their fans came here didn’t mess about with chants about us and support their team. A fair few of them were staying over, judging by the accents in the pubs last night. 

Benitez is however the ultimate proactive manager. He will set up for every opposition rather than believing in what damage Newcastle could cause. I’d be interested to see how much long he can keep getting that squad to work that hard all the time 

• Like 2

A very turgid performance from ourselves on Friday. We seemed to lack that little bit of flair and slick play that has been present over the previous four games. Nothing seemed to really click for us and it was frustrating sitting there watching it. Newcastle were well organised, got in our faces and made it very difficult for us. One of those days. 

I felt we missed Jonny Evan's composure and ball-playing ability at back. Newcastle pressed so high and so quickly that it left Ndidi exposed far too often with Tielemans and Maddison higher up the pitch and in turn this put a lot of pressure on Morgan and Maguire imo. Neither covered themselves in glory. The energy of Ayoze Perez, Rondon and, in particular, Almiron was impressive. 

Only saving grace is that West Ham, Everton and Wolves all binned their chances to get ahead of us. Hopefully Watford do the same on Monday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Last night explained why Puel played Wilf and Mendy for so long. 

Newcastle simply blocked the passing lines into Tielemans and Maddison. Wilf isn’t good enough to thread a ball through. The full back/wingers relationships are not quite there either to utilise that option of getting past the midfield line. 

So Rodgers went for getting Tielemans play a bit deeper and then it puts the burden off Wilf. It was the same issue Puel had - he couldn’t get the ball into Maddison, so he went with two DMs to sit and allow the **** backs to bomb on more. 

I know we had old Rodgers with Plan B comment, but occasionally the manager/players have to realise that for all your tactics/formations, you have to simply up the tempo and quicken the pace of the game. Even to the point of making every throw in quick etc. The game opens up. City did this for a good spell in the second half but Newcastle quickly stamped it out when Ritchie found an injury. 

Gotta get streetwise. Bit of a lesson and a good example for Rodgers to see the issues we have. 

Fair ****s to Newcastle - tactics spot on, their fans came here didn’t mess about with chants about us and support their team. A fair few of them were staying over, judging by the accents in the pubs last night. 

Benitez is however the ultimate proactive manager. He will set up for every opposition rather than believing in what damage Newcastle could cause. I’d be interested to see how much long he can keep getting that squad to work that hard all the time 

Pretty much how I saw/see it too. 

I was just amazed Rodgers didn't change it around at half time. It was obvious Newcastle had a plan on N'Didi and it worked perfectly as N'Didi had his worst match this season. Gray was ineffective and offered little, so he should have gone off at half time too, with Albrighton coming on (who I thought did OK after his terrible injury).

Our tempo was terrible and it didn't improve second half after what should have been an uplifting and inspiring half time talk by Rodgers.

We we so poor, it was worse than anything I saw under Puel, so I'm hoping this was a one off for Rodgers, otherwise what was the point of sacking Puel? Rodgers was completely out thought by Rafa and that is a huge concern.

This is the P/L and you have to be on it constantly, because you get few free matches. I hope Rodgers doesn't think like he did at Celtic, where you get so many easy games with the likes of Hamilton, St. Mirren, Dundee etc and I hope he learns from our terrible performance very quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Babylon said:

Look on the bright side, everyone walked away happy having understood the post match interview. 

Spot on!!

If Puel had still been our manager, he would have been slaughtered on here after that, and had an approval rating of about 5%.

But as you say, at least we could understand the answers to the moronic questions asked to managers after matches!

6 minutes ago, ThaiFox said:

Spot on!!

If Puel had still been our manager, he would have been slaughtered on here after that, and had an approval rating of about 5%.

But as you say, at least we could understand the answers to the moronic questions asked to managers after matches!

This is very presumptuous. 

French, Northern Irish. All sounds the same to me. :ph34r:

We need to play at a faster tempo. We looked most dangerous when we quickened the pace of the passes and went a little more direct, but it happened too few times. We also need Barnes and Gray to stay wider (not always but a lot more often than they did) as this will give Maddison and Tielemans more space in the middle and give our full backs more options going forward. It'll also allow more gaps to feed ball through  to Vardy. I'd prefer Albrighton on one of the wings if we stick with this formation.

I think these little tweaks could yield a lot more rewards against a resolute defensive team like we faced against Newcastle.

Well just back home in Spain after that, £420 for 3tickets in the fosse, £40 taxis £100 for Chang, £35 for trains £15 bus and £100 for my flights thank you City you plonkers ?programme and pen were free but I forgot them

Edited by mazarron fox

1 hour ago, mazarron fox said:

Well just back home in Spain after that, £420 for 3tickets in the fosse, £40 taxis £100 for Chang, £35 for trains £15 bus and £100 for my flights thank you City you plonkers ?programme and pen were free but I forgot them

Plastic

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

Not sure who's the bigger plonker, the players or you spending £100 on Chang lol