Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Newcastle (H) Post match thread

3 minutes ago, Bezzanator89 said:

Although I think the idea is to not get into those situations in the first place. He certainly wasn't very good at that otherwise he would arguably be still in a job. Too many times were up against it by the end of the first half, that cannot he defended and "improved" performances should not be papering over those glaring cracks in his tactics.

of course you always want tobe on the front foot. But people are quick to forget what he had to deal with leaving aside rhe tragedy.

An aging team an inflated squad with too many average or poor players. Poor strikers etc. and yet he managed to keep us top ten, improve the quality of the squad which Rogers has already benefited from and beat Man city Arsenal and Chelsea.

Yes he had problems, the main one I'd say was his lack of English and that seemed to annoy many Fans. His biggest mistake was to disrespect the Cups where we had a chance to win.

That;s one mistake I don't see Brendan Rogers making.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....said it before, I would rather we had a proper right back with Ricardo playing up the pitch, than have Ricardo in defence.

Seems like a lot of goals and chances for the opposition come from his side with players running off him as he is not aware of players around him. Ricardo has more experience going forward than Gray and would have been a better outlet than Demarai.

We have been very lucky this season with teams creating chances and failing to put them away, so this was not so much a surprise as I thought we were off it against Huddersfield despite the scoreline.

Felt Rodgers kept the team the same to see if they could get to 7th. Hope for some changes, with Hamza coming in alongside Tielemans.Poor performance tonight, they need to address the lack of leadership on the pitch where we lacked composure and footballing nous. I am sure we will be up for the last three games but games like tonight are the ones which gets us over the line to make top 6.

His defending has hugely improved since the start of the season but the last few weeks he’s allowed balls into the box. Definitely something he needs to work on. If someone offered decent money for Gray  I would sell. He just hasn’t progressed enough for me, took one step forward in the win over Brighton and two steps back with performances to often like tonight. At the very least he needs strong competition, along with Harvey 

I think people on here need to settle down and take a step back with some perspective.

Everyone on that pitch for us had an off day. We were shite. I could have had two more hours sleep.

It's one game. Everything prior to this under Rogers has shown exciting glimpses of what could be.

In the off-season this team needs to be trained in a formation that can break stubborn teams like Newcastle down. Because we've failed at every attempt this season.

• Like 1

Poor tonight.

Worst game i've seen Ricardo and Tielemans have for us, Vardy was poor too but was feeding off scraps for the most part, they were all poor though.

As we know we simply can't break teams down who defend, defend, defend against us, but as Rodgers said it's the first game he's seen us against that type of opposition and i'm sure he'll address the issue, find a way round it, a solution and make us effective around that type of situation, unlike the previous who seemed happy just to keep doing the same thing over and over whilst unsurprisingly not seeing any progress or change in outcome.

• Like 1

Not buying all the Newcastle this Newcastle that, we were just flat out shocking going forward, chilwell no idea really what to do once in the opponents half, Barnes didn’t make the runs or get on the ball, Maddisons passing was off, ndidi was the poorest - passing and ideas to get the team moving forward just aren’t there at all - doesn’t have that bit extra in the brain that Kante does. Night to forget on the whole, still hyped for next week. Bollocking required and we move on to another hopefully enjoyable away game sat

Edited by Clarkey123

6 minutes ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

I think people on here need to settle down and take a step back with some perspective.

Everyone on that pitch for us had an off day. We were shite. I could have had two more hours sleep.

It's one game. Everything prior to this under Rogers has shown exciting glimpses of what could be.

In the off-season this team needs to be trained in a formation that can break stubborn teams like Newcastle down. Because we've failed at every attempt this season.

What was needed tonight was belief in their own ability. Or is it that BR has them playing safety first. Sound familiar.

30 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Evans seems a far more accomplished centre back at the moment. He does the basic things right and brings out the best of those around him. Maguire is buying into his own hype machine this season.

Totally agree and I cannot understand for the life of me why our best defender was on the bench . 

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

Poor tonight.

Worst game i've seen Ricardo and Tielemans have for us, Vardy was poor too but was feeding off scraps for the most part, they were all poor though.

As we know we simply can't break teams down who defend, defend, defend against us, but as Rodgers said it's the first game he's seen us against that type of opposition and i'm sure he'll address the issue, find a way round it, a solution and make us effective around that type of situation, unlike the previous who seemed happy just to keep doing the same thing over and over whilst unsurprisingly not seeing any progress or change in outcome.

He had 90 minutes to do something about it tonight, but kept doing the same thing over and over whilst unsurprisingly not seeing any progress or change in outcome.

• Like 2

they exploited Ricardo going forward. and were always putting it in the gap he left... that nullified his attacking threat quite well and cut off one of our threats... as well as suffocating us down the middle.

skillful team? far from it. Tactical master class by them? definitely.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

Because maguire gets the team up the pitch better 

We seem to get forward quite well and win games when he doesn’t play .. still rate him but we don’t rely on him/need him like we used to...

Edited by MPH
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

We seem to get forward quite well and win games when he doesn’t play .. still rate him but we don’t rely on him/need him like we used to...

Against Bournemouth and Huddersfield wouldn’t say that statement is justified quite yet 

3 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

He had 90 minutes to do something about it tonight, but kept doing the same thing over and over whilst unsurprisingly not seeing any progress or change in outcome.

This is simply a long, extended pre season, although we had a chance of making 7th the season was done a long time ago as far as I was concerned, the damage had been done, if these problems continue  game after game as they have were i'll be complaining and making my feelings known but 1 match i'll let that slide, I hope to see change, improvement and solutions in the remaining games and going into next season though.

• Like 1

Poor yes but we struggle to break down very well organised teams. Have done all season. I think it shows why currently we are short of a top six finish despite our recent good form.

For what it worth I think, and have done all season that our front four are all similar players in style and qualities especially I'm thinking of Gray and Barnes. I may be shot down here but I actually was disapointed to see Slimani go and obviously we're missing a wizzard like Mahrez. these types of players that we can call on to do somthing different or offer a different approach that could be the difference from being mid table next season and having a real go at the top six. And if to make my point more clear when Albrighton came on I thought his qualities offered something different that we often lack. 

That and I think we also lack defensive strength tonight. to be fair to Newcastle if they got a second it wouldn't have suprised me. 

1 minute ago, baldeagle said:

Yep but then trys to do too much and slows the play down . To be fair I’d have picked him but for me Evans should have played instead of Wes 

I dont think the two cbs were the problem tonight, I think when we are playing against teams that don’t come at you but want to play on the counter ndidi isn’t the man for the job, he really is just a tackler and winner back of the ball, tonight made me realise how good Kante actually was that when he won the ball back he could pick the right pass or make the turn and open play up. It’s not in wilfs locker unfortunately 

Bound to happen every now and then, we've won four on the bounce so it's hard to be too downbeat. These things happen and Newcastle were decent value.

Vardy bags that one-on-one he's been burying recently and it's a well earnt-point against a properly drilled side.

Just wasn't to be, oh well.

5 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

I dont think the two cbs were the problem tonight, I think when we are playing against teams that don’t come at you but want to play on the counter ndidi isn’t the man for the job, he really is just a tackler and winner back of the ball, tonight made me realise how good Kante actually was that when he won the ball back he could pick the right pass or make the turn and open play up. It’s not in wilfs locker unfortunately 

Wilfs been a beast the last few games but I think he was singled out tonight because as good as he is at breaking up play his ball  control , passing and composure are the  complete opposite