Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Newcastle (H) Post match thread

Yesterday was an absolute massive chance to put a further stamp towards 7th place.

The defeat now puts 4 other inconsistent sides in the mix for the battle.

Hope Watford achieve it, if not us, as don't want any splash-the-cash clubs in Everton, West Ham or Wolves to get it.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, weller54 said:

But where was the plan B Col?... 

OK, first half it was clear what their intent was and we needed a tactical change... 

But we came out in the 2nd half and nothing changed? 

That's a worry.. I thought Rodgers was supposed to be a clever tactician? 

We were so narrow throughout the 90 minutes.. Why? 

We needed more width, it wasn't rocket science! 

Come on be fair...Any manager needs time to set out any long term varying tactics....

first he has to find out,what they can deliver,not from our perspective but from his.

we have been watching this group,with slight changes for a season...he has had 4 games.

He himself in post match,we were too slow in our passing and delivery,whether going wide or narrow.

He admitted the players sometimes took the wrong options,and took each other's space when trying to go down the Byeline.

on my own note...and agreeing with you and many others,the players themselves didn't seem to work it out..that was the same under Puel.

for example why didn't Barnes & Gray change sides regularly. On a starting point,I believe,Chilwell-Gray & Ricardo-Barnes would be better pairings.

Though with Albrighton back,it could be either Gray/Barnes miss out.IMO Barnes was too static last night,and forced Chilwell into the wrong channels.

Ditto with Gray. Crossing is not always  about beating taller men,but delivering a cross to players running in, and aiming for that space for the teammate to

run into...We tried 3-5 times last night,but the strength or direction of the cross,was missing.Vardy blew 2 good opportunities,but also tried to get teammates

onto his crosses...

Barnes is still learning,and a bit like Bambi at this level. He doesn't have Grays close foot control,and Gray doesn't have his power,but both under Rodgers

I am sure will develope.

The way a team plays is not always down to the manager,he can't be expected to hold them by the hand,for every movement.

Like under Puel,I still sense,outside Maddison,Vardy,Tielemans,the players can't play direct,rapid ball consistently....and being serious our intensity and commitment on the ball is still too slow...Even in the games we have won,whether that is individual confidence or lack of ability,I really don't know...

Last night,I saw Maddison,Maguire,Ricardo up their games in the 2nd half,Chilwell tried but Ndidi,didn't have the control when supporting him,and made

Chilwell look like he had squandered the move....I

Rafa last week,looked lost,this weekend he is suddenly a genius.......That's football,and Rodgers through to Pep,will always have those days...

Last night was on the cards,after all the hype,but this slip up I put down to the players and not the new manager...We wasn't thinking on foot.

Tielemans was below par....Vardy had 2 decent chances,both Gray & Barnes didn't get themselves into the game,by demanding the ball,by shouting or action.

The goal,was actually a typical Wes weakness he always has had,but with his all round displays,and other strengths,I ain't ever likely to go OTT,like some others.

That said,my preference no matter how good or just decent he plays,I personally would now always play Soyuncu.

We need him to get quickly into the rythme of consistently playing in the PLane to make his mark within the team and the league.Rodgers has Cart Blanche

he should IMO be forcing the issue. Even if Rodgers has behind closed doors,got Harry's handshake he his staying,we need to get the next Young CB playing.

And yes his inclusion would up our quality of delivery and quicker ball,if he pains out to be a good PL CB.Not forgetting that will take awhile,so why not start now.

I am not saying we just dump Wes,he can still give us 2-3 seasons,but from the support and the  subs bench.And injury/rotation cover both he and Evans will be to our. Advantage.   We need to use these 4 games,even against the top sides to see what Soyuncu has in his locker,

with the confidence of the manager now!! behind him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

no one is trying to rewrite history, but neither should you ignore the facts. Puel may have bben stubborn for his own good but when it came to tactics he was good at reading the game and making the necessary adjustments.

Rogers had one go at it tonight and failed miserably.

Well we will agree to disagree. Puel got it wrong tactically so many times, have we already forgotten some of this seasons abysmal home performances which included  the master tactic of 3 defensive midfielders on occasions. I don’t recall him doing much tactically to change the game against the likes of Cardiff, Sourhampton,Everton and West Ham for starters or the master tactic of starting games in vital cup matches with under strength teams. Not sure he did much better at home to Newcastle last season.

Edited by Ian S
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

11th defeat on TV if that is right it could be a case of nerves from the younger players.

Morgan and Maguire do not work together for what ever reason.

Once they scored it was 11 men behind the ball and we struggled to put a pass together, they needed one more win and was more determined than us at the end of the day.

A return to the frustrating says of December and January where we looked clueless in breaking down a stubborn opponent. Desperately need something different in these games because we never looked like scoring in the second half.

Another addition to the home defeats column which stands at an alarmingly high level of 8. This place has to become a tough place for sides like this to play- four defeats to bottom half teams is unacceptable.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Well we will agree to disagree. Puel got it wrong tactically so many times, have we already forgotten some of this seasons abysmal home performances which included  the master tactic of 3 defensive midfielders on occasions. I don’t recall him doing much tactically to change the game against the likes of Cardiff, Sourhampton,Everton and West Ham for starters or the master tactic of starting games in vital cup matches with under strength teams. Not sure he did much better at home to Newcastle last season.

I wouldn't say he got it wrong, more that he  qas trying to instill his vision on the players. You can always pick faults with every game, it's over a period you have to judge people. 

Admittedly he made a big mistake in under valuing the Cups. Over his time here he definitely improved the team and the squad and for that he deserves respect.

4 hours ago, M0901 said:

This is absolutely ludicrous. Name me 3 genuinely, genuinely better full backs in the prem than Chilwell. 

Robertson, rose, Shaw, mendy, azpilicueta, Alonso( could be argued) completely understand why people get frustrated with chilwell against half decent teams he can be made to look very average 

We were dire!

To me it looked like another team with few changes was one game too many. The players looked leggy as was noticeable on some of there touches and in Vards case finishing. They looked lacking sharpness but as mentioned, I put it down to the lack of changes. I dont blame BR but he is getting them to press more so are running more, Im sure BR is working them hard in training to get his ways across but it looked like they blew out for yesterday. 

I felt sorry for Ndidi who seemed isolated and I presume the instruction for Barnes and Gray to get closer to Vardy so kept on cutting in leaving the width for our full-backs didn't work. I have to say the fat Spanish waiter Benitez got the better of BR tactically in this one. Once again I absolutely love Wes for what he has done for our club but he always seems to put the fear of god up me when an oppo striker is closing in as his reactions arent as good as they were. Evans and Maguire are our best options and I would have Benkovic ahead of him if he can get fit. It seems harsh as he made some decent challenges/blocks yesterday but the guys next birthday takes him to 36, way too old to deal with the stresses of the prem as a first team regular. Evans is so under-rated IMO and I always find him more dependable than Wes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Same old same old I'm afraid. We simply don't seem to have the nous or the variety to break teams down like Newcastle.

The immedialte legacy of Puel is that we have some decent young prospects but basically an identikit team of replacements. Looking at the bench yesterday the options for the manager were basically just more of the same.

Not having a different option up front is a big issue in these games. Just for a moment imagine we had Rondon or a similar type of player, our attacking options would be much more varied.

Credit to Newcastle though. They had a game plan, were very well organised and more determined than us and thoroughly deserved to win.

A big wake up call for Rodgers and the recruitment team. We have a very unbalanced squad. I thought he left the changes for too long last night as it clearly wasn't working in the first half.

Pretty much every player had a 5 out of 10 day and the final ball was mostly poor.

Actually thought Wes did a decent job on Rondon and Maddison put in a decent shift. Tielemans was frankly very poor except for one or two passes. Ricardo was done yet again for the cross leading to their goal and showed his defensive weaknesses other times as well.

Virtually all our attacking play in the first half came down our left flank and Gray was hardly ever used. The link between Chilwell and Barnes was especially bad. They simply didn't appear to have any idea of where to move or how to pass to each other. Barnes looked especially what he is, a good prospect but far from the finished article. Personally think he looks like he needs a break.

You simply can't break sides down like Newcastle unless you move the ball forwards and wide more quickly than we did last night. It wasn't quite as bad as one of the turgid Puel displays but it wasn't far off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

From what I've seen of the highlights we weren't as bad as some in here are making out.  Vardy was dead unlucky with one effort, Barnes too, had one of them had gone in it would have been a different story.

Easy to say what might have been. The fact is we didn't take our chances something you have to do in any standard of football not least the EPL.

3 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Robertson, rose, Shaw, mendy, azpilicueta, Alonso( could be argued) completely understand why people get frustrated with chilwell against half decent teams he can be made to look very average 

You know what, I'd put Chilwell third there. Behind Azpilicueta who in my mind is the best, and Robertson second and that's only because he's playing for a top 4 side. You put Chilwell there and he's better than Robertson. Guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, Farrington fox said:

From what I've seen of the highlights we weren't as bad as some in here are making out.  Vardy was dead unlucky with one effort, Barnes too, had one of them had gone in it would have been a different story.

The highlights are clearly not a true reflection, we were very poor but I am sure we will be much better at West Ham.

Breaking down these stubborn sides who shit-house their way to one-nil wins against us at the KP will be Brendan's biggest test of all I think.

I think he’s got to replace certain personnel.

Bringing on Mendy and Iheanacho to try to get back into the game is not good enough at this level. We’ve spoken about Gray’s inability to produce the final pass and however much I like Wilf, he just gives the ball away too often. 

The side still lacks some spark in key areas imo. 

• Like 1

It was a strange feeling this match. Everything a step off. Nothing working out. The first half it was like they had the volume of the stream screwed up. Even the singing and the clappers sounded weird to me.Surreal.

I must of been in the Twilight Zone. I hope never to enter this alternative universe again.

5 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Breaking down these stubborn sides who shit-house their way to one-nil wins against us at the KP will be Brendan's biggest test of all I think.

I think he’s got to replace certain personnel.

Bringing on Mendy and Iheanacho to try to get back into the game is not good enough at this level. We’ve spoken about Gray’s inability to produce the final pass and however much I like Wilf, he just gives the ball away too often. 

The side still lacks some spark in key areas imo. 

I know I'll catch crap for this but I give Gray credit for his bravery on the ball in his effort to take defenders on and try to break their lines. In that way I can accept failure. Unlike other players(unnamed) who always turn in the other direction.

39 minutes ago, M0901 said:

You know what, I'd put Chilwell third there. Behind Azpilicueta who in my mind is the best, and Robertson second and that's only because he's playing for a top 4 side. You put Chilwell there and he's better than Robertson. Guaranteed. 

Robertson is cleverer than chilwell 

We got out of jail today with Wolves and Everton losing. It's still on. 

Those saying would Wolves and Everton lose against Newcastle. Well they've both lost against lower opposition. Southampton and Fulham. So yes they would. 

A long way to go still.

• Like 1

We need 2 centrebacls that bring the ball out and play a forward pass. This slowing down the game by passing across the back 4 is turgid, and only serves to allow the opposition to get back in numbers.  Hopefully Benko next season will change this.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

We need 2 centrebacls that bring the ball out and play a forward pass. This slowing down the game by passing across the back 4 is turgid, and only serves to allow the opposition to get back in numbers.  Hopefully Benko next season will change this.  

Harry and Lord whatsit for me ...   not sure about Benko ...   but I know a man that knows how good he is pretty well ...  :thumbup:

• Like 1