Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nicolo Barella

Newcastle (H) Post match thread

20 minutes ago, srex9 said:

I feel this is a bit of a pessimistic post rather than a realistic one. I agree talk of breaking the top 6 was premature but long term, if any other team in the prem is going to do it, Leicester are on that list. Losing at home with a very inexperienced team...(what was the average age of our midfield?)...against a team fighting to save their lives isnt unheard of. They will learn from this. I for one still can't wait for what the future holds with the new training ground and additions to this young talented squad in the summer. These results will happen. 

I hear a lot of talk about this young talented squad. Potential, unfortunately, doesn't win football matches. Commitment, attitude and sheer bloody-mindedness do. As Newcastle amply demonstrated last night. As Watford showed in the semi. As we did in 15/16 of course.

Don't see much of that from our lads at the moment.

It's nice to think the future's going to be better. It's human nature.

Rarely, though, is it true.

Before I start the replies to these, I want to say that these are just my opinions and as such are certain to disagree with some other people's opinions. It doesn't make mine right or yours wrong so please don't get uppity and start accusing me of vendettas or "disrespecting" legends etc... Furtermore I'm not anti BR and will soon be defending him but I think myself like many others feel that too many here attacked Puel outrageously and therefore will initially come across a litle anti-BR as we point out that really Puel wasn't bad and that managers get short shrift from too many ignorant fans. 

10 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Both needed late equalisers to draw at home to them. West Ham are the only side outside the top six to beat Newcastle at home.

Dan, if we're supposed to be challenging to break into the top 6, if we're supposed to be no.7 - the best of the rest  - then we can't lose at HOME to Newcastle or Watford or Everton. Those teams we have to put away at home and get a dra away from home. The team that finish 6th this year will have beaten just about every 7th and lower team at home. Our results show that we are a mid table team. I don't have a problem with that but let's not pretend we're better than we are. Reading all the shit about Wolves in the league thread is sad for a team that can't beat Newcastle at home - a team that hadn't won away for four months.

10 hours ago, jim5000 said:

Well it is basically the same players trying to break down a team with 10 players behind the ball. Rodgers might be a decent coach, but he's still only got Gray and Barnes as first choice wide attackers.

Puel didn't even have Barnes. Barnes is a thrilling prospect who has been skinning defenders  since his arrival  - oh he's not the finished article , what a surprise but he's learning and looking great. Gray is also doing great for a 21/22 year old. He hasn't done so well under BR and I think that was because he was initially dropped and his confidence is low. He came on in leaps and bounds under Puel. The jury is still out but he doesn't deserve the shit he's getting from "supporters" at the moment.

9 hours ago, jim5000 said:

It's almost like most football teams don't tend win every match :thumbup:

Newcastle came, stuck 10 men behind the ball and played on the counter. We don't have the quality to break that down at the moment. These things happen, even Man City lost to them this season.

What sort of argument is that? If we'd beaten the same teams as Man city we'd be playing CL next season. Newcastle are shit, we should be beating them at home. Marking an attacking player in your box and not passing the ball to the opposition are basics that cost us the match - not some boring tactic from a boring manager that some of our fans wanted managing us.

9 hours ago, glebe_sydneyfox said:

I think people on here need to settle down and take a step back with some perspective.

Everyone on that pitch for us had an off day. We were shite. I could have had two more hours sleep.

It's one game. Everything prior to this under Rogers has shown exciting glimpses of what could be.

In the off-season this team needs to be trained in a formation that can break stubborn teams like Newcastle down. Because we've failed at every attempt this season.

We've only played really poor teams since BR arrived, the best 2 - and one of them was a relegation contender - have beaten us. We have played some good football under BR, we did under Puel too but we have the same problems still, players like Wes starting and other players with too much power behind the scenes.

9 hours ago, Clarkey123 said:

Maguire was arguably our best player tonight 

You must be off your rocker. He was good going forward and that's important under BR but he wasn't that good at the back, he's not on the same page as Ben and he should never partner Wes. He wasn't our worst player but he was far from our best.

8 hours ago, Langston said:

Bound to happen every now and then, we've won four on the bounce so it's hard to be too downbeat. These things happen and Newcastle were decent value.

Vardy bags that one-on-one he's been burying recently and it's a well earnt-point against a properly drilled side.

Just wasn't to be, oh well.

We've beaten absolute dross and that's no excuse for not beating another poor team AT HOME! It's only an excuse for when we play Man city  and the like away. If we go on to finish the season with 5 straight losses, we will be looking very poor. Vardy has been great the last few games, he shut me up after I'd been criticising him at the end of the Puel days but as I said then he is a player who ALWAYS has a massive new manager bounce and he needs to be judged not then, but later after the bounce wears off. He was poor yesterday and really should have got us at least a point if not the win. Maddsion put a couple of great balls through to him that were wasted. Our future depends upon him, we play with 1 striker so he has to score in the majority of games for us to do well. Hopefully this was the exception.

8 hours ago, Chairman of the Bored said:

Hopefully that’s the last we see of Gray in a Leicester shirt. Get rid. Chilwell, £75m to Man City? Yes please. Macguire to Manu? Cheerio. Rodgers has a big building job to do. Shinji, Fuchs, Iheanacho, Gray, Ghezzal, Chilwell, Macguire all out. Many holes to fill. Wes our best player tonight, which says a lot about the rest of the team. The weekend was over before it had begun. Poor. 

Stupidity.

Gray hasn't been doing that well on the attack but he is the type of player BR wants, someone who can dribble, who can control and play 1 touch quick passes. He's young but it's looking more like he'll be hounded out by the boo boys. Chilwell is hopefully our LB for the next 10 - 15 years. Could easily be our player of the season. Maguire is BR's dream CB, BR wants a ball playing CB who goes forward. He needs Ndidi or whoever plays CDM to be able to cover when he does and he needs never to play with Wes again. Partnership made in hell.

These games are for BR to learn about his squad, so I'm not so unhappy with yesterday just very frustrated. I don't understand Wes getting in ahead of Evans or Soyunco. I want BR to try out Hamza and I think Iheanacho needs to be given this run too. Hopefully now 7th and 8th are beyond us BR can rest the old men - Kasper, Wes and Vards and see what the others can do in meaningful games. 

I just got the feeling, watching the match that our players were in their comfort zone, thinking all they had to do was turn up to win and that Newcastle wanted it more.

Some of the players looked well short of where they have been the last few games, like they had proven themselves to the new boss and could now relax and we never really got going.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Chilwell how the hell does he play for England and is touted by Man City and Barcelona?  I would personally drive him to those locations and drop him off for free.

He is without doubt the most frustrating and thick footballer I have ever seen.  What is the point of bombing forwards forty yards get to the edge of the opponents box turn and then pass it backwards to Maguire?  Wash, rinse and repeat.

Barnes marked by three Newcastle players Chilwell 10 yards away passes it to him we lose the ball.  Ball is passed out to Chilwell on the left flank he kicks it forwards straight out of play.  Ball is passed to him sideways he miss controls it straight out of play.

He frustrates the hell out of me and quite frankly is bloody awful.

This is absolutely ludicrous. Name me 3 genuinely, genuinely better full backs in the prem than Chilwell. 

• Like 4

Still amazed at how bad we were last night.

Newcastle were ALWAYS going to turn up and play like that. Rafa got it spot on tactically, and for those saying it was 'dreadful to watch'- they did a shiteload more than we did going forward. Putting them down for being defensively resolute and organised just sounds bitter, so don't bother.

It was up to us to break them down and we failed miserably. Gray did his usual thing of drifting inside when we needed width and Barnes was pretty ineffective, so their defense could just sit narrow and we had no idea at all what to do to get by it.

Sitting deep, waiting for the mistake and hitting us on the break is still the blueprint to winning at our place- back to the drawing board. We need our wingers to stay wide (Albrighton made a massive difference when he came on), pull defenders out to the touchline and allow the full backs to get in behind & attacking midfielders to push forward into the space. If we're going to play attacking possession football, we've got to commit to it fully or we're left with half-arsed performances like last night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Being at the ground, and not really paying attention due to the game being stopped, what was Kasper playing at to get a yellow card for?

I think he, rightly, felt that Newcastle were faking another injury to waste time. Unfortunately, he made his point to the ref too forcefully. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox

There was a nervous energy about the team last night. Felt as though the new manager honeymoon had come to an end. Television and wider audience put pressure on a young team eager to impress, trying too hard and making unforced errors all over the shop.

Thankfully Newcastle's finishing was worse than ours.

In a small way this is a lesson for the squad and should help ground any idea that we are only one step away from Europe. We're not. As mentioned in another thread, we don't currently have a bench that can change a game, merely just see it out.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

I hear a lot of talk about this young talented squad. Potential, unfortunately, doesn't win football matches. Commitment, attitude and sheer bloody-mindedness do. As Newcastle amply demonstrated last night. As Watford showed in the semi. As we did in 15/16 of course.

Don't see much of that from our lads at the moment.

It's nice to think the future's going to be better. It's human nature.

Rarely, though, is it true.

Well yes potential is something that doesn't always happen. But most of these guys have already shown they have ability. Upto Rogers to mesh it all together and find the right combinations. 

The commitment and attitude are factors that also come with experience. We can't panick and act like all is lost because we narrowly lost a match due to an under par performance.

And the future might not be better but I'd rather get behind the lads and give them the belief that it can rather than just accepting mediocrity.

I see all the dome and gloom merchants are out in force after a loss, some even saying we got the wrong man?

This was always going to be a tough game they sit in a 541 vacuuming any space in the final 3rd, at times there were 18 players occupying this area it's hard to walk through this traffic and you can't go over as they step up forcing an offside. 

On the 4 or 5 occasions they did venture into our half we needed to be quicker at playing through them & we never that's all but I'm confident we will learn and BR will have seen this and be making plans to address the issue.

As for getting the wrong man those that prefer the great tactician that is Rafa the Gaffa would you seriously like to watch that week in week out and no it was nothing like what we did in our title win, this is Rafas only tactic which he's been using for years with Newcastle, don't believe me, here's a quote from Pep in 2017 on Newcastle:

“I would like the opponent to play, for football itself and for the spectator, for everybody. But every manager can decide whatever he wants,”

After the previous 4 games i know which manager and football style I'd rather watch on a weekly basis.

Rodgers said in his post match interview that he was pleased with Albrighton crossing it so much because that's what you do with a deep lying defence. Begs the question why are we not after a giant shithouse for these situations then for knock downs and headed goals. 

38 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Chilwell how the hell does he play for England and is touted by Man City and Barcelona?  I would personally drive him to those locations and drop him off for free.

He is without doubt the most frustrating and thick footballer I have ever seen.  What is the point of bombing forwards forty yards get to the edge of the opponents box turn and then pass it backwards to Maguire?  Wash, rinse and repeat.

Barnes marked by three Newcastle players Chilwell 10 yards away passes it to him we lose the ball.  Ball is passed out to Chilwell on the left flank he kicks it forwards straight out of play.  Ball is passed to him sideways he miss controls it straight out of play.

33 minutes ago, M0901 said:

This is absolutely ludicrous. Name me 3 genuinely, genuinely better full backs in the prem than Chilwell. 

You're right, but what he said is exactly what happened last night.

46 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Ok Christian ......calm down ! 

13 minutes ago, srex9 said:

Well yes potential is something that doesn't always happen. But most of these guys have already shown they have ability. Upto Rogers to mesh it all together and find the right combinations. 

The commitment and attitude are factors that also come with experience. We can't panick and act like all is lost because we narrowly lost a match due to an under par performance.

And the future might not be better but I'd rather get behind the lads and give them the belief that it can rather than just accepting mediocrity.

Agreed - but my point is that mediocrity is more likely if the focus is constantly on the future, on 'potential'.

It also provides ready-made excuses for under par performances.

Football, like every other human activity, takes place in the here and now. And right here, and right now, we look distinctly average.

Which we are. Disappointingly so.

• Like 1

One positive last night is how physical Maddison has become. Big difference to how he was at the start of the season. He gets stuck in and hassles now, very impressed. 

Maddison and Morgan were the two good performers last night for me. Oh and Albrighton when he came on.

Edited by TheUltimateWinner
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Lionator said:

This is such a ridiculous overreaction. It was a poor performance however the past few games have indicated that we do not need a massive overhaul and that would be the worst thing to do at this stage. Rodgers isn't a magician, we're not going to suddenly win every game, it will take time to fully implement his style on the team.  

Of course you are right, and there isn't going to be a massive overhaul in the squad except more leave than we sign.

No, were not going to win every game even Man city don't do that with their squad. While the performance of our players was below recent performances you also have to respect the effort Newcastle put in to get the win. They were fighting for their lives, just as we done in the great escape.

But I think what up set a lot of Fans is that BR done nothing to effect the game. He was like a Rabbit caught in Headlights. That's what certainly surprised me. He swapped a few players and hoped that it would work. That really isn't good enough and I expected more from him. His suggestion that by Albrighton firing in more crosses was the answer, well then why did't he put Morgan or Maguire in the hope that they got on the end of something. Instead he left Vardy against 7 or 8 Newcastle players in the box. No that was expecting a miracle.

But it's still early days his real test comes next season.

2 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

lol

Yeah Pep Guardiola what does he know

2 hours ago, suffolk fox said:

:facepalm:

He's started turning back as that's clearly an instruction or as was the case last night, he's outnumbered and it would be pretty stupid to try and take 2 players on and loss the ball, leaving us completely exposed.

England actually have a log of decent full backs for a change and he's the 1st choice, so he must be alright.