Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

England U21's

Well Why Boothroyd took the best player off again at 3-2 I'll never understand. Maddison was bossing it. Best he's looked all tournament. Him and Nilson had good games. 

Overall Gray who had problems hitting the target but who looked great running at defenders (thanks Puel) was one of the better England players over the tournament. Foden was clearly the best in the first match but he didn't make a difference as sub in the second and was not really very good in the third. Madderz was around average in the first and second and the best in the third. 

How different did England look with Hamza ibn that first match first half, compared to the rest of the tournament.

I just hope he goes back to training early because if N'Didi's Nigeria get a good run in the AFCON then Hamza has the chance to start the first couple of matches, if he does he's good enough to keep even N'Didi out of the CDM role.

24 minutes ago, FIF said:

Well Why Boothroyd took the best player off again at 3-2 I'll never understand. Maddison was bossing it. Best he's looked all tournament. Him and Nilson had good games. 

Overall Gray who had problems hitting the target but who looked great running at defenders (thanks Puel) was one of the better England players over the tournament. Foden was clearly the best in the first match but he didn't make a difference as sub in the second and was not really very good in the third. Madderz was around average in the first and second and the best in the third. 

How different did England look with Hamza ibn that first match first half, compared to the rest of the tournament.

I just hope he goes back to training early because if N'Didi's Nigeria get a good run in the AFCON then Hamza has the chance to start the first couple of matches, if he does he's good enough to keep even N'Didi out of the CDM role.

Yeah his starting lineups and subs have been bonkers. Whilst the defence let the team down badly again, taking off our most influential player was baffling to me. 

A shame because the way Maddison takes the next step is when he’s able to dictate the game at the top level by himself / in combination with his midfield partners and in this game he was doing that very well. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's bonkers to think we didn't bring another holding midfielder. A position so critical yet we seemed to bring Hamza and pray nothing happened to him.

It's the same in the NT. Leicester City have more DCMs than England.

Just now, FIF said:

It's the same in the NT. Leicester City have more DCMs than England.

I'd maybe go the opposite of that actually for the NT.  We used Delph, Dier, Rice and Henderson who all can be classed DCMs. Winks is in and around the team as well.

We have so many play that position that arent quite what we need. Hamza genuinely could be that player.

England NT really lacks a box to box midfielder (much like we did until Youri came along). Foden I believe could be that player. 

It's no surprise a back four failed which two centre backs playing at Derby and Vitesse Arnhem last season. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd maybe go the opposite of that actually for the NT.  We used Delph, Dier, Rice and Henderson who all can be classed DCMs. Winks is in and around the team as well.

We have so many play that position that arent quite what we need. Hamza genuinely could be that player.

I'd say that Delph and dier are simply rubbish and shouldn't be anywhere near the NT, Rice is a young kid who really hasn't proven anything yet - for me no better than Hamza, Henderson could be described as a DCM but I see him as a balanced CM, not quick enough to be a good DM but with good intelligence and a nice pass when going forward.

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

England NT really lacks a box to box midfielder (much like we did until Youri came along). Foden I believe could be that player. 

It's no surprise a back four failed which two centre backs playing at Derby and Vitesse Arnhem last season. 

Pure number 8s/box to box midfielders seem to be dying out generally though. Liverpool and Man City play 433s but their  midfielders are mostly converted DMs or AMs. Gundogan and Keita (Milner formerly) are the only pair that jump out at me as natural central midfielders 

• 2 months later...

James Justin gets his first England u21 call up! So congratulations to him!

However; 

Barnes and Hamza both miss out? 

Both are 21 and don't become 22 until December and October respectively, so are both still eligible?

Edited by UniFox21

Who the hell is Panzo and Balcombe? Never heard of them before. Are they goalkeepers? 

No surprise Gray doesn't play (or is he too old now?). 

Surprised with Barnes AND Choudhury both being omitted. 

How does Tom Davies get in? Barely played for Everton. Same with Justin tbf. Not played a minute yet gets in? 

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Who the hell is Panzo and Balcombe? Never heard of them before. Are they goalkeepers? 

How does Tom Davies get in? Barely played for Everton. Same with Justin tbf. Not played a minute yet gets in? 

Choudhury likely to still be banned for at least one game, bizarre with Barnes but Boothroyd has never really used him the twat. How he has kept his job is beyond words.

• Like 2

Just now, StanSP said:

Panzo is a Monaco defender apparently and Balcombe is a Brentford keeper. (Google for ya)

Assume Gray is too old now, but was really shocked by Barnes and Hamza omitted given both have played well for us so far. 

Very surprised on Justin, unless he'd been on the radar and with AWB being moved to the seniors? And god knows why Tom Davies is in

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Choudhury likely to still be banned for at least one game, bizarre with Barnes but Boothroyd has never really used him the twat. How he has kept his job is beyond words.

After we flopped so badly in the Euros with the talent we had its crazy he's still there. 

It's our problem that we have all the talent but the coach just can't get the best out of them and don't get sacked 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Born before 1998 so no longer eligible for selection.