Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UniFox21

England U21's

11 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

We can't have people like Boothroyd managing the youth teams anymore, they're too tainted from their league experiences. It's like us with Beaglehole. It has to be more about the style of play and tactics now, you're better off having a coach take the reins. Was Boothroyd ever known for playing good football?

:shakey:

3 hours ago, l444ry said:

Exactly but the same old story with English football. Individual, technical, golden generation, heard it all before. Nobby Stiles and Roger Hunt wouldn't get a look in with the criteria required to get into an England side these days. 

Out of interest, what are the 'criteria required' differences these days compared to then?

9 hours ago, nwl fox said:

I don't get why the coaching staff that have been hugely successful at u16's-u18's level wouldn't be given the chance, why do we have to have a "name"

Those ages groups have all failed to qualify for their respective competitions this year.

Steve Cooper, who won the U17 World Cup, is now at Swansea.

It’s all gone to pot since Ashworth announced he was leaving. The Talent ID system has been broken up, old man Les Reed has come back to replace Ashworth and Boothroyd has got a two year contract extension.

Just when you thought the FA were changing they revert back to type.

I think the future is bright for the next few years because of the likes of Foden, Sancho, Hudson-Odoi etc but after that I can see us falling back into the mess we were in previously.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

7 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

Out of interest, what are the 'criteria required' differences these days compared to then?

They seem to pick individual talents then hope they'll blend as a team. Being a workhorse, a leader or someone with less obvious ball talent but compliments others. Just my opinion Anglodanlo.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Good to see Tomori learnt a lot during his loan spell at Derby aka being a donkey like Richard Keogh

Apparently he was their player of the season but that was the Championship...

The defending reminded me of our last season or so under Boothroyd.

He did very well to get us promoted but that was more down to the likes of Ashley Young and Marlon King being excellent in attack and having somebody with great experience like Mackay at the back or Ben Foster in goal.

Once they all left we went to pot we certainly came less organised and the morale wasn't good.

Boothroyd's managerial career at club level never recovered.

I suspect he got this gig because he was originally a youth team coach before coming our manager - well over 15 years ago! 

• Like 1

You could see us losing that from the minute he announced the line up. Where's the holding midfielder?

We are so prone to absolute howlers as a team it is utterly beyond belief. The two tournaments this summer have been nothing short of an embarrassment.

18 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

What the **** is up with our back 5 lol 

They don't have Hamza covering them. 0 goals conceded with Hamza on the pitch (1 goal scored), 6 conceded with him off the pitch (2 scored).

18 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

You would never have bet that Romania would have put 4 past both England and Croatia. 

I did mention before England's first game against France that we could easily lose all three games. England do have a decent squad but "British" fans and media don't realise just how good the rest of the world are nowadays.

Glad Pascanu had such a good game, he's still not even in our top 2/3 CBs for u23 team. Knight, Hughes, Johnson and Moore are all better. Pascanu has more chance of making it as a utility player for us but having said that the others play more than one position too - except moore - and of course we have 5 other CBs who are supposedly better than all of these players. Great strength in depth at CB which is why we should cash in on Maguire now.

16 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'd actually suggest giving it to Darren Moore of ex-WBA fame who was very harshly sacked, was responsible for taking a huge punt on an England U21 player (Harvey Barnes)

Agree with the post in general and I think Moore would be great for the under 21s but suggesting Barnes was a huge punt is a bit off, he'd played and scored goals in that division the season before.

28 minutes ago, FIF said:

They don't have Hamza covering them. 0 goals conceded with Hamza on the pitch (1 goal scored), 6 conceded with him off the pitch (2 scored).

I did mention before England's first game against France that we could easily lose all three games. England do have a decent squad but "British" fans and media don't realise just how good the rest of the world are nowadays.

Glad Pascanu had such a good game, he's still not even in our top 2/3 CBs for u23 team. Knight, Hughes, Johnson and Moore are all better. Pascanu has more chance of making it as a utility player for us but having said that the others play more than one position too - except moore - and of course we have 5 other CBs who are supposedly better than all of these players. Great strength in depth at CB which is why we should cash in on Maguire now.

Johnson is not better, not at CB anyway. I've said this a number of times before he needs to focus on making himself an option at RB he's much more effective in that position. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

Johnson is not better, not at CB anyway. I've said this a number of times before he needs to focus on making himself an option at RB he's much more effective in that position. 

Whilst I agree that Johnson is a better RB than CB, I still think Johnson is the better CB. I think that Pascanu is possibly better at LB than CB but that may just have been down to the opposition I've watched him play those positions against.

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

It's been a terrible year u 17's u 19's u 20's all failed to qualify for the major tournaments.

That’s because everyone keeps telling them how good they are. Have you listened to Henderson’s interview, still thinks they are the best players at the tournament ffs. They were the first team to get knocked out! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

That’s because everyone keeps telling them how good they are. Have you listened to Henderson’s interview, still thinks they are the best players at the tournament ffs. They were the first team to get knocked out! 

Convinced this is a big part of the problem with England. It is often down to us making bad errors as well which ties in with that somewhat.

6 hours ago, FIF said:

Whilst I agree that Johnson is a better RB than CB, I still think Johnson is the better CB. I think that Pascanu is possibly better at LB than CB but that may just have been down to the opposition I've watched him play those positions against.

Hmm I think Pascanu is a better CB than full back, and I have him above Johnson in my pecking order for CB's but I agree with you that he's still someway behind Knight and Hughes, it's difficult to say on Moore as I've not seen him play for the best part of 2 years now... All about opinions though isn't it

Edited by nwl fox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Convinced this is a big part of the problem with England. It is often down to us making bad errors as well which ties in with that somewhat.

I’m convinced it’s managers who are not really up to the world stage and primadona youngsters who think that because they’re getting mega bucks and have all gone to the right academies they think they’re the best in the world. Interesting point made by a talkSPORT host was that teams will be snapping up Romanian players that no one had ever heard of now.

6 hours ago, FIF said:

Pascanu is second behind Knight in my opinion. Hughes performances have dropped drastically since his return from injury unfortunately. Johnson has played more games at RB so hard to judge if he’s a better CB. I don’t know how Moore has done at Leuven so again it’s difficult to say where he stands in the pecking order.

Could be argued Pascanu is first in line out of all those options when you consider Knight has been playing as a DM for Peterborough and could end up sticking to that position. 

• Like 1

What we need to take from this tournament is firstly we are producing talented youngsters, their league form shows that as it is.

But we're lacking that edge in the upper 2 age groups, I genuinely think a more tactically minded manager would've gotten more out of this team than Boothroyd. Hopefully with time that'll change and we'll make a break through in the upper 2 teams.

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

What we need to take from this tournament is firstly we are producing talented youngsters, their league form shows that as it is.

But we're lacking that edge in the upper 2 age groups, I genuinely think a more tactically minded manager would've gotten more out of this team than Boothroyd. Hopefully with time that'll change and we'll make a break through in the upper 2 teams.

Agree totally....we lack good coaches at this level...Our players seem to have the quality....but nobody to show and pull them through for the next level...