Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

Our defence conceded three but the fullbacks look half decent and Mitch Clark looked impressive. I think our worst area is the midfield. None of Dewsbury-Hall, Wright or George Thomas impress and I can't imagine any league one team want them on loan. I'd like to see more of Shade in that midfield. Muskwe was vaguely anonymous but Hirst got away a few decent shots and used his physicality well. They've got one more match before the league one window closes and I doubt many league one teams will be tempted tbh.

40 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

it is as if they are caught in two minds!!!

We are playing possession football but we are not good at it. This team contains players who are more direct and play a physical game and are being asked to do something against their instinct.

Got to agree. Nothing worse than possession football without the ability to do it properly. Requires one touch football and snappy forward movement, otherwise just gives the opposition time to get behind the ball. The first team have had the same problem in the past, particularly under Puel.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

13 minutes ago, LCFC1996 said:

Can the club start showing the U18's instead, they've not won yet this season either but it'll probably make for more pleasant viewing lol

I would love that. I want to compare the style of football. I want to know if our u23s are only decent in defence because Petty and Beaglehole are only good at coaching defensively. Or if our academy is only decent at bringing through defenders and defensive players.

From today's midfield we bought Wright, Thomas and Shade from other clubs. We got Leshabela when he was 15. I'm not sure our academy is any good at bringing through attacking midfielders. They may also be a bit rubbish at coaching them too. Barnes seems to be the except to the rule. Beaglehole and Petty aren't great but I wonder if our problems with non-defensive players runs deeper.

Edited by Foxxed
spelling!

How many players have broken through into the Brighton first team in the past few years?

Our youth setup might have its flaws but.....

Choudhury, Barnes, Chilwell....

Ndwuku, Iverson and Knight out on loan to league clubs.

In terms of productivity, our U23s don't do too bad.

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I'd rather have a team full of 17/18/19 year olds playing football than the elder ones we currently have in playing long  ball.

I'm not sure what the u18 team is like. It might actually be better for their development than the u23s.

12 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

That's one of the issues. 

We need to be loaning way more of our talented academy players out.

But a number of them aren't ready for that and we have to keep a certain number of players to remain competitive in the U23 league.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I'm not sure what the u18 team is like. It might actually be better for their development than the u23s.

It just seems like we lack the ability to loan players out from the u23s. Players then stagnate and blocks the development of those younger moving into the squad. 

We need to be shopping the dead wood out, and loaning the promising players for 6 months to a year to get actual league experience.

Just now, Micky said:

But a number of them aren't ready for that and we have to keep a certain number of players to remain competitive in the U23 league.

Competitive as we are now? 

Full of around 22 year olds struggling against those of the same age or younger who will probably never get near the first team?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It just seems like we lack the ability to loan players out from the u23s. Players then stagnate and blocks the development of those younger moving into the squad. 

We need to be shopping the dead wood out, and loaning the promising players for 6 months to a year to get actual league experience.

I'm honestly unsure if we have interested league one teams or if we have the u18s waiting to come through.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I'm honestly unsure if we have interested league one teams or if we have the u18s waiting to come through.

Neither do i, just chatting what I'd like to see happen. 

Knight has developed since going to Peterborough, would like to see others given the opportunity

....surprisingly this dysfunction with the U23s seemed to have started when Rodgers arrived!!!

It looks like he has called for a shake up in the way the development teams play and the subsequent off loading of players and drop in our performances all stems from this.Our roster is still predominantly grafters who are less technical and we will continue to get these performances until we can introduce a more technical group of players and a set pattern of play.

We lack composure, need three touches to control the ball, lack awareness and totally inept in the last third. In a lot of ways we are mirroring the first team with moving the ball slowly and looking to pass back at every opportunity. Clearing out this lot will not be easy and it may take sometime to get to the level of technique we see from other teams performing at.

51 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I would love that. I want to compare the style of football. I want to know if our u23s are only decent in defence because Petty and Beaglehole are only good at coaching defensively. Or if our academy is only decent at bringing through defenders and defensive players.

From today's midfield we bought Wright, Thomas and Shade from other clubs. We got Leshabela when he was 15. I'm not sure our academy is any good at bringing through attacking midfielders. They may also be a bit rubbish at coaching them too. Barnes seems to be the except to the rule. Beaglehole and Petty aren't great but I wonder if our problems with non-defensive players runs deeper.

It would help if we played a formation with an attacking midfield role, we're playing this daft 442 system with a flat central pairing and stupidly narrow wingers making the central areas very congested. I can only imagine they're doing this because they want Muskwe and Reghba on the pitch, and I actually though Hirst looked better because he dropped deep for the ball unlike the other two.

• Like 1

I don’t understand what benefit these player get that we’ve got from lower league clubs certainly doesn’t seem like better coaching and most definitely not in a more competitive environment we should get them and loan them back.

The whole Premier League 2 seems a bad idea and just an excuse for clubs to scoop up the best young players with no real benefit.

Academies should be for players up to the age of 21 then if they’re not pushing for at least a bench spot they should be released to lower league clubs with a first buy option.

• Like 1

Just now, davieG said:

I don’t understand what benefit these player get that we’ve got from lower league clubs certainly doesn’t seem like better coaching and most definitely not in a more competitive environment we should get them and loan them back.

The whole Premier League 2 seems a bad idea and just an excuse for clubs to scoop up the best young players with no real benefit.

Academies should be for players up to the age of 21 then if they’re not pushing for at least a bench spot they should be released to lower league clubs with a first buy option.

tbf most prem clubs PL2 sides will be first team players needing a run out or recovering from injury and 18-19 year olds I doubt many would have a bunch of 20-22 year olds that aren't in the first team clogging up the U23s

Just now, Jimmy said:

tbf most prem clubs PL2 sides will be first team players needing a run out or recovering from injury and 18-19 year olds I doubt many would have a bunch of 20-22 year olds that aren't in the first team clogging up the U23s

That’s not what I’ve been seeing most of them seem to be as us but maybe with some younger players.