Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

7 minutes ago, FIF said:

Our strikers looked fine but in reality it was great passing from the midfield that made us look class. The defenders all did their jobs very well. Sam Hughes should easily get a spot on a championship team so hoping that a league 1 comes in for a loan this week. When he decides the ball in the air is his, it's almost always his. He has more potential than Maguire at 21. 

We really need to be getting ready to shuttle him into the first team environment. 

Should Morgan retire at the end of the year, Hughes could move up to 4th CB.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, FIF said:

Our strikers looked fine but in reality it was great passing from the midfield that made us look class. The defenders all did their jobs very well. Sam Hughes should easily get a spot on a championship team so hoping that a league 1 comes in for a loan this week. When he decides the ball in the air is his, it's almost always his. He has more potential than Maguire at 21. 

Not sure how you can say that when Maguire had played 134 games for Sheff Utd when he was 21. Hughes has played 43 games for Chester. Not quite the same. 

Yes he may be a decent prospect but no more than that you certainly can't say he has more potential at 21 than Maguire. Facts speak for themselves. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I don't think the average age has actually gone down since last year? The introduction of U18 players happened at the back end of last season and were on the receiving end of some hammerings after Knight and Johnson went on loan too. However, the majority of those U18's have since dropped back down to that level or have only been on the bench so far for the U23's. There's currently a transitional phase it looks like, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious plan. We have signed 6 new U23 players varying in age, ability and experience and still have some players in there that appear to be wasting their careers like George Thomas.

Hopefully they can pick up a couple of wins and give them all a boost in confidence, it's certainly not all about results but you fear that's what Beaglehole prioritises. The style of football, the coaching and the ethos seems somewhat outdated for a club with as lofty ambitions as we have. I'd love to have the opportunity to ask some serious questions about our academy to those in charge and more importantly Jon Rudkin who's still heavily influential in the operation of it.

The average age changed roughly when Rodgers came in. We were previously playing older lads and looking great. Then we started playing the lines of L Thomas and Taveras, so the average age came down to about the league average and we started losing.

I'm not sure which is better. Let's accept we'll only get a couple Prem quality academy graduates every couple of years max. So why not concentrate on those promising ones and fill the rest of the team with decent older players? At least the promising players get experience in a semi decent team. And that's surely better than having a load of so-so 18 year olds creating a largely dysfunctional team.

The ideal is to have a load of 18 year olds from our academy who can create a winning team who give everyone a great u23 experience. But I doubt we're at that level. We definitely need to give everyone a chance. But still we surely have holes to fill. I'm okay with some older and more experienced players giving the younger more promising players a stronger team in which to gain experience.

Edited by Foxxed
Spelling, grammar...

Steve Beaglehole was delighted with the winning mentality shown by Leicester City's Development Squad in Friday's 2-0 win at Wolverhampton Wanderers.

- Leicester City's Development Squad secured a maiden win of the season at Wolves on Friday

Going into the clash without a win in three, City's youngsters dominated for long spells as Admiral Muskwe and George Hirst struck to seal all three points at New Bucks Head in Telford.

As well as the performance and result, Beaglehole also noted the defensive solidity on show and the return from injury of striker Josh Eppiah following a back issue.

"I’ve just said to the lads I was as delighted with that performance as I was disappointed with the last one," the Club's Senior Professional Development Phase Coach told LCFC TV.

"They know how disappointed I was with the Brighton match – and they all were – so it took some doing to match it in terms of satisfaction tonight and they did.

"I was really proud of them because they worked hard. We knew Wolves like to play with three centre-backs and we were brave, we pressed right in on them early on.

Watch back the goals as Leicester City's Development Squad sealed their opening win of the 2019/20 season at Wolves.

"Really, we should have been two or three up before we actually scored and you always hope it’s not going to be one of those situations where you dominate but don’t score a goal."

Beaglehole highlighted the personal contributions of several players, meanwhile, including Muskwe, Hirst, Darnell Johnson, Sam Hughes and Callum Wright.

"I was really pleased for Ade, who finished his goal well, and there was some outstanding performances out there," he added.

"Darnell and Hughesy were really solid at the back, we controlled the game in the first half, and they were bound to have a go later on and they did.

"There were some encouraging displays from players who are new to the Club. Hirsty was terrific. We considered taking him off, but he insisted he was okay and he scored.

We showed a real winning mentality, which comes down from Brendan Rodgers, so it was a really good performance.

Steve Beaglehole LCFC TV
"You saw his strength to win the penalty. It was a fantastic ball from Callum Wright and he gets down the right with a clever run and he gets the penalty.

"He’s on his knees really, but he had the mental strength to deliver a really good penalty and that shows you the type of player we’ve got."

Reflecting on Eppiah's return and securing a clean sheet, Beaglehole continued: "I was delighted with Josh too, who’s had a torrid time with injuries.

"I don’t think he’s played two back-to-back 90-minute games in two years. The medics have done a great job and he looked so sharp with his blistering pace, which is a very desirable trait. 

"Keeping a clean sheet and scoring two goals is great. We showed a real winning mentality, which comes down from Brendan Rodgers, so it was a really good performance."

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1329796/beaglehole-a-real-winning-mentality

if you want to see the goals follow the link.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

League experience is great, but at 22 would prefer him being sent to a league one or championship club rather than league 2. Let's see how he fares there.

Game time is good. He'll be great and hopefully be ready to join our first team next season. 

13 minutes ago, The_Rorab said:

I'm just glad he's getting some real league experience. Hopefully a few of the older ones can go out before the window closes for loans.

The loan window is shut now too as far as I can see.

I am fairly sure the only reason Hughes could be done after the 5pm deadline is because the EFL granted them a late extension like the PL do.

Three on loan in league one. Two in league two. One on the Belgium second. Six loans isn't bad tbh.

Pity Ughelumba didn't get a loan. He's got to fight it out with England under 17 captain Luke Thomas now or we play him out of position again.

3 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

The loan window is shut now too as far as I can see.

I am fairly sure the only reason Hughes could be done after the 5pm deadline is because the EFL granted them a late extension like the PL do.

Dang. 

I mean, I'm glad Hughes will be getting some league action, but I'd hoped some of the older players in the development squad might get a loan. I find it hard to see how many of them will develop any this season just playing U23 football - players like Darnell, Dewsbury-Hall who have been playing in and around that level for years.

1 hour ago, LCFC FOX said:

Any youngster over the age of 20 not playing on loan in the championship won’t make it here. 

You've just excluded Josh Knight, our most promising academy player. He's 21 and on loan and tearing it up in league one. And Iversen who's 22 and in league one. I'm hoping this post comes back to haunt you!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

You've just excluded Josh Knight, our most promising academy player. He's 21 and on loan and tearing it up in league one. And Iversen who's 22 and in league one. I'm hoping this post comes back to haunt you!

I hope I’m wrong I do, but it’s just the way it works 90% of the time. Josh knight is probably the closest to coming through next though I admit. Iverson no chance.

Edited by LCFC FOX

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

He probably would have got further in the game if he didn't come here in the first place. Same with George Thomas who is still wasting time playing under 23 football. 

I agree, but I think there were very high hopes for Hughes when signed! He had a very good season for the u23s and was on the bench for first team towards the end of the season! He also scored a few from centre back if I remember right! He then got injured which has massively set him back! Hopefully gets full season at Salford does well and then get a good league 1/championship move! 

Thomas passed up league 1/2 football for the u23s so makes you wonder what was promised to him? Money? First team squad role? 

6 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

I agree, but I think there were very high hopes for Hughes when signed! He had a very good season for the u23s and was on the bench for first team towards the end of the season! He also scored a few from centre back if I remember right! He then got injured which has massively set him back! Hopefully gets full season at Salford does well and then get a good league 1/championship move! 

Thomas passed up league 1/2 football for the u23s so makes you wonder what was promised to him? Money? First team squad role? 

I'd like to think they see it has an opportunity to progress but not many make the step up from under 23s. Especially players that already 20 plus. I think they'd be better served working their way up the league. I don't know about money but I'm going to guess you can earn a decent wage as an under 23 footballer here compared to league 2.