Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

Our average age starting 11 (bar Benkovic): 19.9, and bench: 19.6

Brighton's average age starting 11 (bar GK Steele): 19.5, and bench: 18.4

Our first team U23 players aren't massively older than any team we've faced so far (Everton at 19.5, Blackburn at 20.6, Brighton at 19.5, compared to our 19.8, 19.8, 19.9) - though we are also the only club to have a bench with an average age over 18. They're just either not as good, or poorly coached/managed - or my personal pick, both. We're not playing an unusual amount of older or younger players, we're just 14 games without a win, with a team that for all intents and purposes is no different to the rest in terms of age.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cal21212121 said:

It would help if we played a formation with an attacking midfield role, we're playing this daft 442 system with a flat central pairing and stupidly narrow wingers making the central areas very congested. I can only imagine they're doing this because they want Muskwe and Reghba on the pitch, and I actually though Hirst looked better because he dropped deep for the ball unlike the other two.

Leuven fans seem to think he's a fraud playing on his physicality but Hirst looked easily our best striker - and yeah I was happy when he dropped deeper since the midfield really weren't supplying the strikers with much. Regheba and Hirst next match please.

• Like 2

It can't go on like this. I've always said I wanted performances and development over results at this level but we're getting routinely hammered by sides who should have no advantage over us - at the minute we're getting neither.

Nobody can sit there and tell me this current set up is getting the best from our young players. It would take an extraordinarily good argument to tell me it is.

3 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Brighton are a classic example of a team that have got their best players loans (Connolly to Luton, Molumby to Millwall, White to Leeds, Ostigard and Gyokeres to St. Pauli) and yet they've still beat our best U23s 3-0 away tonight.

Connolly scored the first goal. Returned from a loan when he hardly played at Luton because  of an injury. Brighton have got at least ten players in over 20 (under 23) age group out on loan to second tier clubs, which seems a bit over par (most PL clubs have about six, Chelsea have about 15).  And at least one youngster not playing in contention for the League Cup game. PL2 is like the fourth XI of each club. 25 man squad, first and second teams, third team players out on development loans.  Only about three players per PL club make it through to the first team squad.  

• Like 1

I don't think PL2 really knows what it is and neither do the clubs. 

We call our team U23s and development but whilst it is normally the first, it's not clear it's the second.

Players returning from injury and squad players NOT in the first team need to play competitive football . There is no reserve league, so where should they be playing? That's the first question we need to resolve.

We have the number for 2 teams of players over 22 years of age. We need a reserve league where the fringe players can play and show they should be in the first team.

Then we have loads of u23 players who need to play and improve. It seems that PL2 is for these players. First question here is why U23? we all seem to agree that if you haven't proven yourself by 21 then you should be playing football in the lower leagues. Second question for me is are we developing players? And what does that mean?  There are leagues for the U18s and the U16s (is there one for the U19s?) an U19s and then a league for U21 developing players seems good for me. Scrap the PL2 or make it a reserve league. Better than that I'd allow any teams with enough players to name a first team squad and a second team squad and play the second team squad in division 2 ( with the right to promotion into Div 1 - maximum) . I wouldn't allow any changes to the squads that players can play in other than as a "transfer" in the january window.

15 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

It's telling when Hughes and Thomas are still playing PL2 football into their third year of three contract years, and both would have to be in the 25 man squad to even be eligible to make their Premier League debut (1997 born).

It's even more telling that those two and Raul Uche are older than James Justin who moves here having played 114 senior games at the age of 21. Bolkiah, Muskwe, Johnson, Dewsbury-Hall, Johansson, Pascanu, Eppiah and Hirst are all less than 12 months younger than Justin, and most of those are 'key' players to this U23 side.

Now I'm not saying that Justin's route is the only way to the top, but it's clear to see that 90 league games in L1/L2 have done him a world of good, from a player who would have joined our U23s in 2017 when we first wanted him, to Ricardo's first backup two years later.

Brighton are a classic example of a team that have got their best players loans (Connolly to Luton, Molumby to Millwall, White to Leeds, Ostigard and Gyokeres to St. Pauli) and yet they've still beat our best U23s 3-0 away tonight.

I don't understand the Hughes/Hirst/Thomas situation. They have done well in the lower leagues and they aren't improving their chances in PL2 - they're getting more money perhaps and at a "big" club but this isn't helping them. 

James Justin would fit in with our present U23 team I think! 

What the team are missing is a midfielder like Hamza or N'Didi who close players down and win the ball - we have too many "offensive" midfielders without any grinder.

I think my suggestion of a second team in the lower leagues would be much better for them, our club and football in general.

Edited by Guest

Pointless building a state of the art facility and staffing it with people that are probably past their sell by dates.  You would hope changes will be made next season. 

50 minutes ago, FIF said:

I don't think PL2 really knows what it is and neither do the clubs. 

We call our team U23s and development but whilst it is normally the first, it's not clear it's the second.

Players returning from injury and squad players NOT in the first team need to play competitive football . There is no reserve league, so where should they be playing? That's the first question we need to resolve.

We have the number for 2 teams of players over 22 years of age. We need a reserve league where the fringe players can play and show they should be in the first team.

Then we have loads of u23 players who need to play and improve. It seems that PL2 is for these players. First question here is why U23? we all seem to agree that if you haven't proven yourself by 21 then you should be playing football in the lower leagues. Second question for me is are we developing players? And what does that mean?  There are leagues for the U18s and the U16s (is there one for the U19s?) an U19s and then a league for U21 developing players seems good for me. Scrap the PL2 or make it a reserve league. Better than that I'd allow any teams with enough players to name a first team squad and a second team squad and play the second team squad in division 2 ( with the right to promotion into Div 1 - maximum) . I wouldn't allow any changes to the squads that players can play in other than as a "transfer" in the january window.

I don't understand the Hughes/Hirst/Thomas situation. They have done well in the lower leagues and they aren't improving their chances in PL2 - they're getting more money perhaps and at a "big" club but this isn't helping them. 

James Justin would fit in with our present U23 team I think! 

What the team are missing is a midfielder like Hamza or N'Didi who close players down and win the ball - we have too many "offensive" midfielders without any grinder.

I think my suggestion of a second team in the lower leagues would be much better for them, our club and football in general.

Yeah let's screw over even more "smaller" teams and let them die as the bigger clubs take over league2 as you say. 

The reserve teams would  have to take the place of smaller clubs in the pyrimid forcing even more teams to go bust. 

You really think this sounds better for football in general? Or sounds better for the bigger clubs like ourselves. 

Don't you think the big clubs have not screwed the smaller clubs enough  already? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

Yeah let's screw over even more "smaller" teams and let them die as the bigger clubs take over league2 as you say. 

The reserve teams would  have to take the place of smaller clubs in the pyrimid forcing even more teams to go bust. 

You really think this sounds better for football in general? Or sounds better for the bigger clubs like ourselves. 

Don't you think the big clubs have not screwed the smaller clubs enough  already? 

You are aware that smaller clubs are going bust because they can't survive in the professional game aren't you? They may be better served by becoming semi-pro or if you think the opposite then let's open another professional division where the "b" teams can play with even more smaller clubs. Having a few rich teams who hoard and don't play a 100 players is far more detrimental to football imo.

These teams can benefit from playing against a few big teams second teams. It works on the continent. 

As for your final question, yes I do think big clubs have screwed smaller clubs, but that's irrelevant to the problem. That isn't changing by maintaining the status quo - it's actually making it worse  - the richer are becoming richer and hoarding more. Banning over 21s from PL2 is a step to correcting that.

btw - you do come over as very aggressive in your reply posts to me - not sure why, but if I've sleighted you at sometime, sorry, it didn't register.

Edited by Guest

I understand why they have an under 23 league but not sure it’s used correctly to get players developed as the better ones go out on loan etc. There also needs to be a way more first team fringe players of clubs can get a game. I remember my youth going Monday night football and crowds being loads bigger if someone like Walsh or Heskey are coming back from an injury! 

4 minutes ago, LCFC1996 said:

U18's lost 2-0 away to Brighton today, 16 year old 6ft 6in Goalkeeper Chituru Odunze made his debut for us

Maybe he has a chance of replacing Jakupovic when his contract runs out in the summer.

Can see Brendan wanting to work with a young talent with his attributes 

On 24/08/2019 at 14:29, themightyfin said:

Don't think you came back to me on this.

Are you aware that Bolton AND Bury are about to disappear from league1 because they can't afford to play in it?

At least the "big clubs" could afford the costs and keep the league running.

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, FIF said:

Don't think you came back to me on this.

Are you aware that Bolton AND Bury are about to disappear from league2 because they can't afford to play in it?

At least the "big clubs" could afford the costs and keep the league running.

I think we'd lose some of the love and passion of the lower leagues if premier teams had the option of having a second team. 

The EFL is a hugely competitive league system and I think it would be detrimental. Would you stop the progression of these teams at a certain point? To stop a man city B being a prem team eventually? 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I think we'd lose some of the love and passion of the lower leagues if premier teams had the option of having a second team. 

The EFL is a hugely competitive league system and I think it would be detrimental. Would you stop the progression of these teams at a certain point? To stop a man city B being a prem team eventually? 

As I said the "B" teams would have restrictions that other teams don't have. Age, nationality limits, maybe even a limit to the number of eligible seasons etc... We should be seeing the Demarai Grays of the world getting the chance to play competitive football to see if they can make the big time.

And yes, I wouldn't allow them to progress above League1 ( or league2 if that was thought to be a better idea) meaning if they won it then a lower placed team is promoted. The idea is to improve the standard of English football and make games even better.

Just now, FIF said:

As I said the "B" teams would have restrictions that other teams don't have. Age, nationality limits, maybe even a limit to the number of eligible seasons etc... We should be seeing the Demarai Grays of the world getting the chance to play competitive football to see if they can make the big time.

And yes, I wouldn't allow them to progress above League1 ( or league2 if that was thought to be a better idea) meaning if they won it then a lower placed team is promoted. The idea is to improve the standard of English football and make games even better.

Apart from the game time and ability to play against pros; would players just take this as seriously as the u23s? And do you think fans would support the "B" team given they're most likely playing the same time as the main team? 

In terms of the promotion system, would you feel almost "gifted" the promotion if you finished outside the places yet were promoted due to a "B" team being in the places? 

I think it's a good idea in concept that would give young players game time in a competitive environment, just think there are a lot of issues that will probably get in the way of this happening