Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

3 hours ago, FIF said:

As I said the "B" teams would have restrictions that other teams don't have. Age, nationality limits, maybe even a limit to the number of eligible seasons etc... We should be seeing the Demarai Grays of the world getting the chance to play competitive football to see if they can make the big time.

And yes, I wouldn't allow them to progress above League1 ( or league2 if that was thought to be a better idea) meaning if they won it then a lower placed team is promoted. The idea is to improve the standard of English football and make games even better.

I get where you are coming from. It would be nice if there was some sort of League Cup prestige competition where the second team players/youth prospects could get playing time, and the competition was meaningful, but more than 1 or 2 games for the vast majority of the teams. I am not sure playing reserve teams in the lower divisions would work, for the reasons others have mentioned. In Spain, it causes problems, since their B teams have absolutely no support, home or away.

There are 92 teams in the Premier and Football Leagues, and at least a dozen in the Conference -- why not have 10-team regional leagues, which contractually are considered "first team" (so the results "count" and playing bonuses are fulfilled) and the prize money is linked to wins and final league standing -- enough money that a League 1 or 2 side would care enough to play with some intent. 9 games a season, and let's the Gray's (and the performing U23's) get a run out and a chance to impress.

3 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Think that’s what the EFL trophy tries to do, hence why they have the group stages and not just straight knockout rounds. Don’t think it has worked as well as they would have hoped tho as not many U23 sides have done that well in it.

Yes. But the EFL trophy isn't considered a first team competition for the Premier League sides, they play their u23's -- I am thinking of a competition where a Premier League's "cup team" would play, and would count in official results. I paid money to watch our B team play Fleetwood (twice!), but I have never even felt an urge to go to an U23 match (although, I pathetically watch them on lcfc.com) 

10 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I suppose there would just be a lot of loopholes around the whole ‘cup team’ thing, because we could just say it’s a second string side then still play our best players, I just don’t know how you’d make it work, it is a good idea tho.

In all honesty, for it to work, there would be scenario's where you might play your best team (nothing wrong with that) -- for example, you are safe mid-table, and it's the only trophy you can get (imagine being two points back facing Forest in the "East Midlands League"). And just like early cup games, some of your top players would always be on the bench. In other words, squad selection would work pretty much like it does in the League Cup.

But I think too much about things that will never happen....

33 minutes ago, brucey said:

Just what we need, more centre backs :D

If we need a CB why don’t we just promote Husek from the u18s...

Where is Tavares, Arlott-John, Thomas, even Pennant. These lads should be playing in the u23s 

• Like 4

On 26/08/2019 at 15:21, FIF said:

Don't think you came back to me on this.

Are you aware that Bolton AND Bury are about to disappear from league1 because they can't afford to play in it?

At least the "big clubs" could afford the costs and keep the league running.

There's a difference between "horrendously mismanaged to the point of bankruptcy" and "can't afford to be in a league". That difference is down to the FA's shitty rules on "fit and proper" owners for clubs, and not some weird notion that clubs can't afford to play in League 1 anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucey said:

Just what we need, more centre backs 

Actually if Pascanu is off to Steaua Bucharest and there's a loan in the pipeline for Hughes or Johnson, then a CB would be much needed if PL2 success is valued by the club.

One of Hughes/Johnson plus Husek and Kranthove would be pretty thin.

On 26/08/2019 at 12:43, FIF said:

As I said the "B" teams would have restrictions that other teams don't have. Age, nationality limits, maybe even a limit to the number of eligible seasons etc... We should be seeing the Demarai Grays of the world getting the chance to play competitive football to see if they can make the big time.

And yes, I wouldn't allow them to progress above League1 ( or league2 if that was thought to be a better idea) meaning if they won it then a lower placed team is promoted. The idea is to improve the standard of English football and make games even better.

You really think D Gray playing in league 2 rather than having him in and around the first team set up of a top half of the table Premier league club will futher his development? Come on. League 2 Is hardly better than u23s standard. 

I really don't see the logic of putting B teams in the league Pyrimid, it can only have a detrimental effect on the lower league clubs and will see more going out of business. 

You think that's good for the game? 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, jeffschlupp said:

Actually if Pascanu is off to Steaua Bucharest and there's a loan in the pipeline for Hughes or Johnson, then a CB would be much needed if PL2 success is valued by the club.

One of Hughes/Johnson plus Husek and Kranthove would be pretty thin.

Yeah but only if. We had a similar problem last year after we loaned out Knight and Darnell - I think we ended up putting Kalvin at centre half which was stupid. The transfer deadline ends on the 2nd for league one so we'll see.

Edited by Foxxed

16 hours ago, Shane said:

If we need a CB why don’t we just promote Husek from the u18s...

Where is Tavares, Arlott-John, Thomas, even Pennant. These lads should be playing in the u23s 

Fair point about Husek. And I don't know enough about Arlott-John.

But Luke Thomas is in the u23s.

Taveras is back playing in the u18 and that's understandable since he doesn't look ready judging by the hong kong 7s. 

Pennant is only 16. Probably better off in the u18s this year.

Edited by Foxxed

7 hours ago, themightyfin said:

You really think D Gray playing in league 2 rather than having him in and around the first team set up of a top half of the table Premier league club will futher his development? Come on. League 2 Is hardly better than u23s standard. 

I really don't see the logic of putting B teams in the league Pyrimid, it can only have a detrimental effect on the lower league clubs and will see more going out of business. 

You think that's good for the game? 

I think it could benefit everyone if done properly. Allowing Premier League B teams in the league structure but not able to go above League 1 would be accepted by EFL clubs if it guaranteed that we wouldn’t see what is happening to Bury and potentially Bolton ever again. More money from the Premier League being pumped into the lower leagues could help stop clubs going bust in the future. 

6 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I think it could benefit everyone if done properly. Allowing Premier League B teams in the league structure but not able to go above League 1 would be accepted by EFL clubs if it guaranteed that we wouldn’t see what is happening to Bury and potentially Bolton ever again. More money from the Premier League being pumped into the lower leagues could help stop clubs going bust in the future. 

I've not kept up with this whole debate, but if prem teams had B teams in the league structure then EFL clubs wouldn't be able to get any loans in which is the cheapest way for them to fill out their squad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

For a start PL2 teams are not just from the PL they include some Championship Teams, for every PL2 team that is allowed into L1/L2 a current L1/L2 would have to be relegated, 

Currently there are 24 PL2 teams if they all take up a place in L2  24 teams would have to go and what's to stop all of the PL and Championship teams, made up of 20+24 having a team in the lower leagues. Even just the 24 PL2 teams would totally defeat the object of this idea as they'd end up just playing each other

Frankly the whole idea seems daft and does nothing to benefit the teams in L1 and L2.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark said:

He was outstanding in that pre season friendly he played in

Seems to be one to keep an eye on, scored and assisted a few already this season in the U18's and only just turned 16. Maybe we will progress him properly rather than keep him in lower age groups until he's 20.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Seems to be one to keep an eye on, scored and assisted a few already this season in the U18's and only just turned 16. Maybe we will progress him properly rather than keep him in lower age groups until he's 20.

Barnes and Chilwell seemed to force their loans themselves, looks to be down to the player to make it happen

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mark said:

Barnes and Chilwell seemed to force their loans themselves, looks to be down to the player to make it happen

Pennant looks well ahead of his age group as well, hopefully they'll keep progressing. Both left footed wingers....