Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What do we think about these deportation flights?

I’ve no issue deporting people who came to uk as adults, but reportedly one guy has lived in the UK since he was three.  Two problems with this 1) If he was raised here it’s our problem.  2) extension if Windrush type failure to clarify citizenship rights for people here more than ten years.

It’s a good question. 

Without knowing more details about each individual case, it is impossible to decide whether the decision is correct or not. 

It does seem a bit underhand, though, coming so soon on the back of the Windrush balls up. 

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

New Hampshire primaries today:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51408569

While it won't fill in the whole picture of who might get the Dem nomination (if there is going to be a clear winner and no contested convention), it will give a bigger idea.

Surely a comfortable win for Bernie in New Hampshire isn't it?

Location and demographic both perfect for him.

18 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Oh, and a useful flowchart:

84416517_2937578072990199_68995907917866

I'm a Bloomberg voter lol

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

But you have to go left on question 1 to be a Bloomberg voter :P

6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Perhaps - the other contenders know they have to have at least a reasonable showing though to keep any kind of momentum going even if subsequent states are more favourable for them (hence my thoughts that this one will give us an idea, but not the full picture until Super Tuesday), so I'm assuming very little until the counts are concluded.

I flip-flop between Bernie and Warren based on my current thoughts about capitalism lol

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What do we think about these deportation flights?

I’ve no issue deporting people who came to uk as adults, but reportedly one guy has lived in the UK since he was three.  Two problems with this 1) If he was raised here it’s our problem.  2) extension if Windrush type failure to clarify citizenship rights for people here more than ten years.

Looks a bit of a shit storm tbf. 

In my view, I regularly get told how privileged I am to be born here, so following that logic, you've got to be additionally privileged if you've come from somewhere else to be here. Surely if you know you're from somewhere else and don't have British citizenship then you know you can be deported if you commit a serious crime. 

The offenses some of these lot have commited are dreadful and I won't shed any tears for seeing less rapists and violent criminals around. You could make an argument for drug dealing not being that bad, but for how many people are getting stabbed over this shite I'd say it's bad enough. 

As for the I've got family here sob stories, nothing stopping them from joining them in their country of origin I'd imagine. 

2 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Looks a bit of a shit storm tbf. 

In my view, I regularly get told how privileged I am to be born here, so following that logic, you've got to be additionally privileged if you've come from somewhere else to be here. Surely if you know you're from somewhere else and don't have British citizenship then you know you can be deported if you commit a serious crime. 

The offenses some of these lot have commited are dreadful and I won't shed any tears for seeing less rapists and violent criminals around. You could make an argument for drug dealing not being that bad, but for how many people are getting stabbed over this shite I'd say it's bad enough. 

As for the I've got family here sob stories, nothing stopping them from joining them in their country of origin I'd imagine. 

I Lean towards you on this..but it seems there is some politics Making from both sides of this issue...

It surely must depends on the individual Cases and Not looked has a group Deportation of 35-50 people.

Just for example..

Its been mentioned that One of the potential deportees, is an ex-serviceman who has done 2 tours of Afgahnistan..and suffered various levels of war-illness & trauma,and his digressions were well After returning....And ones commiting Crimes After being here since birth or under 9-12,when entering the UK

Common-sense says to me we also cant Approach this blindly....

Edited by fuchsntf

4 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I Lean towards you on this..but it seems there is some politics Making from both sides of this issue...

It surely must depends on the individual Cases and Not looked has a group Deportation of 35-50 people.

Just for example..

Its been mentioned that One of the potential deportees, is an ex-serviceman who has done 2 tours of Afgahnistan..and suffered various levels of war-coolness & trauma...und his digressions were well After returning....And ones commiting Crimes After being here since birth or under 9-12,when Sterling the UK

Common-sense says to me we also cant Approach this blindly....

I agree. Each should be treated on their individual merit. But I don't have information on each of them, nor am I (or want to be) in charge of saying good or bad for each person. 

My thoughts are more of a general observation than based on this one batch of deportees. 

What's the main reason that some of these people don't take up British citizenship even when they're entitled to it? I fully agree that it seems ridiculous to effectively wash your hands of someone and send them 'back to their own country' when they have grown up here, come through our education system, been subject to our state institutions and potentially been groomed into county lines style drug gangs (which are subject to the jurisdiction of our law enforcement authorities).

The same can be said for Shamima Begum, in my opinion - she was raised here, radicalised here, groomed here and went to Syria aged 15 - to strip her citizenship on the basis of a very tenuous Bangladeshi citizenship doesn't sit well with me at all. A self-proclaimed civilized, tolerant nation should deal with its own dirty laundry and seek to address the problems at hand and deal with people like Shamima Begum here, not just make them another country's problem.

Edited by theessexfox

So they're going ahead with HS2.

If it's such a good thing why does it take so long to build, why can't they put more people on it and work on different sections 

2031 for the Brum link

2040 for the Manchester/Leeds 

That's if they even manage to stick to them.

Who knows what will happen to transport by 2040?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davieG said:

So they're going ahead with HS2.

If it's such a good thing why does it take so long to build, why can't they put more people on it and work on different sections 

2031 for the Brum link

2040 for the Manchester/Leeds 

That's if they even manage to stick to them.

Who knows what will happen to transport by 2040?

Perhaps a shortage of labour and expertise. Also, I assume such huge costs have to be spread over a number of years.

How long would it take the Chinese to build HS2 - probably about one month at most. After all, they've just built a hospital in 6 days, following on from building a 57-storey sky-scraper in 19 days, a 30-storey building in 15 days, and a railway station in 9 hours. Maybe us Brits need a kick up the arse when it comes to big projects!

51 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Perhaps a shortage of labour and expertise. Also, I assume such huge costs have to be spread over a number of years.

The longer it goes on the more it’s likely to cost and the sooner it’s built and in use the better and quicker they’ll get a return on their investment.

When I worked in new product development this was our overriding mantra.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, String fellow said:

How long would it take the Chinese to build HS2 - probably about one month at most. After all, they've just built a hospital in 6 days, following on from building a 57-storey sky-scraper in 19 days, a 30-storey building in 15 days, and a railway station in 9 hours. Maybe us Brits need a kick up the arse when it comes to big projects!

Yes they have thousands of miles  of high speed track already.

Rather than waste money on getting to London faster from Birmingham, put the infrastructure in place to deal with electric cars.  Having watched Top Gear, embarrassing to hear there's only 4 charging points in the whole of the UK that can charge a Porsche in 20 minutes.  

Edited by Legend_in_blue
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Best bit about HS2 is it highlights that eco warriors should be put on permanent ignore. Must cut CO2 but must not build public transport cos will destroy 0.01% of country's ancient woodland. K lads. 

Kinda hoping that a happy medium can be reached where neo-Luddites can be ignored (rather than being treated as a convenient strawman to burn whenever necessary) while the actual facts underpinning the green movement are acknowledged and acted upon, tbh.

But if you look in places other than the UK that's sadly not really happening either.