Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BrianSwan

You look like us (Swansea) from 8 years ago

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

True, I think we’re savvier in the market than Southampton though. Getting £90 million for Maguire opposed to £30 million for Mané, replacing Kanté with Ndidi or bringing in Ricardo - not replacing Wanyama with Oriol Romeu or Mané with Elyounoussi. Of course we are still only Leicester, it’s not impossible for us to go down but I’m sure we’ll be fine for a while yet. 

But that discredits all the good replacements they signed. They sold Lovren and bought Van Dijk, sold Lallana and bought Mane, sold Callum Chambers and bought Ryan Bertrand. They were superb in the transfer market for a good few years. I think the problem was the lack of youth products coming through that did for Southampton more than a couple of poor signings. Bringing through the likes of Lallana, Chambers, Shaw, Clyne their academy was a gold mine. The production line seems to have dried up and the magic touch in the transfer market too. Coupled with some poor managerial appointments it is no surprise they are struggling.

Wolves are a decent side, who clearly had a game plan to counter attack and were happy to sit back. If we have the same issue against the bottom half sides, then we can start to worry but if anything having that much of the ball against a top side like Wolves is a positive development in my view. 

• Like 1

Guest Markyblue

8 years time, after winning the champions league at 50000 capacity kp stadium, singing champions of Europe youll never sing that to Liverpool fans. 😎

Indeed, it's hard to say where we'll be in 8 years time regardless of all 'logical' possibilities : as it's a long time in football indeed! Little did we know about the tragic fate that would await the much loved Vichai last October of course - a flight which could easily have included Top too had he also flown in the same helicopter. Had he done so then that could have changed the whole scenario at the club ownership and direction of course.....just saying you never know what's around the corner.

As for the immediate-short term-foreseeable reality then if things continue the way they are with Top at the helm then I think we should be ok. After all he and Dad did the decent thing with Ranieri in the nick of time when they sensed we might be relegated a mere year after doing the unthinkable! Also although it seemed harsh and pressing the panic button at the time, then 8 years ago we were labouring and flattering to deceive under Sven in the Championship before his somewhat unceremonious sacking in the October 2011 after the 0-3 disaster at home to Millwall : while Swansea were enjoying life in the Prem. under Rodgers at the precise same time with an attractive, quirky brand of football. Easy and interesting to see why the Swansea fan has picked up on this topic in relation to Rodgers.....and even gone to the trouble of boldy posting about it on here! 

Edited by Guy

17 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Dunno why people are taking the piss. It's a logical point. He obviously watches Swansea.The Newcastle game last season we dominated possession and did nothing and Rodgers said it wouldn't happen next season (this season).

We didn't create anything decent yesterday.

What surprised me was both teams have such attacking intent and pace & yet only managed two shots on target between them in the whole game. 

The last scoreline I was expecting was 0-0.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, woddyuk said:

What surprised me was both teams have such attacking intent and pace & yet only managed two shots on target between them in the whole game. 

The last scoreline I was expecting was 0-0.

It was the one I was most expecting (poss 1-1)

neither side wanted to give ground to the other as both sides intend to be challenging for the top six - that’s why you should expect a similar conservative approach at the bridge on Sunday .....keep it tight and aim for a smash and grab 

i expect to see the ndidi/choudary axis against all of the top six and poss Everton, West Ham away.  Brendan has been given a target and he intends to make it happen, irrespective of how exciting you think we should be. it will be more like the pragmatic second half of the 15/16 campaign rather than the gung ho first half. 

Novel time #382

I think the only issue, as we saw yesterday, is adapting a possession game to teams that sit back. As much as I hate to say it, we're simply not going to be getting joy against any side that comes to the KP with a back five and play on the counter. It's not new to Rodgers' reign - we've had exactly that problem on our own turf since the second season under Claudio when he tried to change our style in a similar manner. Teams sit deep and "do a Leicester" to Leicester. We hold onto the ball and create some nice interplay, but we still rely heavily on either set pieces or the opposition having a high line to make the killer blow. That Crystal Palace game under Puel was the worst one - it felt like being on the other side of the mirror in 2015-16 watching them tear us apart with every counter attack while we farted around with the ball in midfield without ever threatening, waiting for the next inevitable picking of our pocket.

That said, I'm VERY positive about the side this year - I don't think we've ever had a more talented matchday squad overall and I've every confidence that it's going to take a few years of decline before we seriously see ourselves flirt with relegation again. The pace of change has been gradual, we've bought players that actually fit the system and (for the most part) IMO the fans are on-side this time and understand we're developing a style that may have teething issues at times.

Above all though, the squad balance is the best it's been in memory largely because, despite the media doom-mongering, we have an excellent defense overall. One swallow doesn't make a summer, but in Evans we still have a top quality CB and Soyuncu showed on Sunday he could well be the real deal, and even though Chilwell had a stinker on Sunday we have some of the best fullbacks in the league. We just need to find ways to diversify our goal threat to really step onto the next level, because Wolves are going to be far from the last club to come to the KP and sit deep.

(Though admittedly, few opposition numbers are going to come here and put in as much of a beast mode performance as Boly did - he was immense, so fair play). :appl:

Never take anything for granted, but we're in a really healthy position as a club. We should look at the fate of the Swanseas and Stokes of this world as a warning not to bin off a winning formula, and to invest wisely to build a playing identity rather than reinventing the wheel overnight or failing to fill gaps left by departing players. And I think we're doing that with the changes brought about by Rodgers and (whisper it) Puel.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

Is it a bad thing? No. It's pretty easy on the eye.

I think Rodger's possession style is more of a defensive one though than someone like Bielsa, Pochettino, Sarri etc who like to play forward more often.

Interesting you say that, as Rodgers has a reputation as being an advocate of attacking football and demands goals from his team. He likes to remind everyone of his Liverpool side scoring over 100 goals in 2013/14. Our previous manager was pragmatic and said possession meant the other team didn't have the ball and therefore couldn't score and that was the main interest. Rodgers tactics in the last 3-4 league games for us starting at the back end of last season are concerning me somewhat and i'm curious to see what happens in the coming weeks.

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 14:13, pmcla26 said:

I think the fact that the club are great negotiators and putting faith in youth is going to extend our longevity at this level much longer than the likes of Stoke, Swansea, West Brom, amongst others. We haven’t been handing out big money contracts to fringe players at top clubs for the sake of getting a big name in. Maybe it’s naive, but I think it’d take catastrophe for us to get relegated for a while now. 

West Brom and Swansea never had the financial backing we have so were totally different cases to us. They simply used the TV money and appointed the correct managers to stay up for a decent period of time. Stoke did appear to have a bit more backing with the Coates family and looked well set for many years, but eventually made too many bad decisions. We also appear to be well set whilst we have the financial backing and people involved making good decisions.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting you say that, as Rodgers has a reputation as being an advocate of attacking football and demands goals from his team. He likes to remind everyone of his Liverpool side scoring over 100 goals in 2013/14. Our previous manager was pragmatic and said possession meant the other team didn't have the ball and therefore couldn't score and that was the main interest. Rodgers tactics in the last 3-4 league games for us starting at the back end of last season are concerning me somewhat and i'm curious to see what happens in the coming weeks.

I share your concerns, that 1 winning Premier game out of the last 6, and we're still talking about European Football next season, it has to take a sharp upward turn before heads start dropping in the team and the spirit is lost.

1 hour ago, norwichfox said:

I share your concerns, that 1 winning Premier game out of the last 6, and we're still talking about European Football next season, it has to take a sharp upward turn before heads start dropping in the team and the spirit is lost.

Happily take a high scoring draw on Sunday though haha

• Like 2