Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BrianSwan

You look like us (Swansea) from 8 years ago

3 hours ago, BrianSwan said:

Highest possession in the league currently, but very ineffectual and mostly along the back 4.

I wonder if you will have more average possession than the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Spurs.

But you were a good and effective team. You were a decent side under Rodgers.

Having more intelligent footballers will always lead to more possession, because the ball isnt just lumped forward every week. We are in that position now. However, I still think that once we are up to match fitness we wont be having much more of the ball than our opponents because we will be playing at a faster tempo and trying to get creative.

BTW, how many £50-80m players did Swansea have in their side LOL? How many Internationals?! I dont think there is a comparison to it apart from us trying to keep the ball a bit better.

1 hour ago, Analysethis said:

Having more intelligent footballers will always lead to more possession, because the ball isnt just lumped forward every week. We are in that position now. However, I still think that once we are up to match fitness we wont be having much more of the ball than our opponents because we will be playing at a faster tempo and trying to get creative.

BTW, how many £50-80m players did Swansea have in their side LOL? How many Internationals?! I dont think there is a comparison to it apart from us trying to keep the ball a bit better.

This - the sides who keep the ball the most generally do the best 

6 hours ago, Koke said:

But you were a good and effective team. You were a decent side under Rodgers.

And don't forget Roberto Martinez before.  They had a style they set up to play and found managers and players who fit.

I expect much the same as here when Rodgers leaves. Puel and Rodgers are here to set up and refine the system.

Dunno why people are taking the piss. It's a logical point. He obviously watches Swansea.The Newcastle game last season we dominated possession and did nothing and Rodgers said it wouldn't happen next season (this season).

We didn't create anything decent yesterday.

• Like 1

Is there a cautionary tale in this?

When we were promoted, a Stoke fan, somewhere online, said that they were nothing like Leicester, as they did not have to worry about relegation anymore.

I remember getting pretty complacent when we were finishing in the top 10 with O'Neill. I could not see a situation where Leicester could blow all the achievement since Little was appointed back in 1991. We were an established Premier League time...weren't we?!?!

With our current owners, I find it even harder to see us slipping down the leagues again.

But...think back to when you first started watching football. I bet clubs, apart from a handful, are pretty much where they were back then. I've seen club which I always considered lower league, such as Swansea, Hull, Reading, Wigan, Notts County and Bolton, to name a few, all have periods in the top flight, and with some success too.

Where will we be in 8 years time!  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Deucalion said:

When we were promoted, a Stoke fan, somewhere online, said that they were nothing like Leicester, as they did not have to worry about relegation anymore.

I remember getting pretty complacent when we were finishing in the top 10 with O'Neill. I could not see a situation where Leicester could blow all the achievement since Little was appointed back in 1991. We were an established Premier League time...weren't we?!?!

With our current owners, I find it even harder to see us slipping down the leagues again.

But...think back to when you first started watching football. I bet clubs, apart from a handful, are pretty much where they were back then. I've seen club which I always considered lower league, such as Swansea, Hull, Reading, Wigan, Notts County and Bolton, to name a few, all have periods in the top flight, and with some success too.

Where will we be in 8 years time is a great thread title.

Start it up, pal. I don't want to take your credit.

12 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I think the fact that the club are great negotiators and putting faith in youth is going to extend our longevity at this level much longer than the likes of Stoke, Swansea, West Brom, amongst others. We haven’t been handing out big money contracts to fringe players at top clubs for the sake of getting a big name in. Maybe it’s naive, but I think it’d take catastrophe for us to get relegated for a while now. 

I do agree but sometimes I worry. We see Southampton lose 3-0 at Burnley on Saturday and less than 5 years ago they had a good manager in Koeman leading them to 6th with a squad that includes the likes of Van Dijk, Mane, Tadic and Wanyama.

We're in a good position atm. It's not often a club like us/in this position is relegated out of the blue. Usually there's a season or two of struggling before you eventually go down.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

It's a fair point, we've all been looking at Rodgers style from Celtic and Liverpool wheras the Swansea team had a particularly distinctive style and I think that's when we would have first appeared on Top's radar as I remember many comments from players about how impressed by Swansea they were. 

This doesn't mean we're headed down the same route entirely but the comfortable "knitting together" of passes is similar to the Joe Allen and Leon Britton interplay. Hopefully with Vardy, Maddison and the full backs we have more cutting edge to go past players in the final third than that side did.

A lot of Sundays game was tight, bitty, lots of fouls, not much space, there will be easier games against more open opposition, but then again there will be some harder ones too.

51 minutes ago, Deucalion said:

In 8 years time, our '22 year old' players will be 30.  Hmm where will we be indeed!

1 hour ago, Deucalion said:

Where will Manchester City be? Economics is volatile. Nothing lasts forever in this crazy world.

Edited by SO1