Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Still not watched that Deeney goal back to this day. 

You should watch it. It's an amazing piece of theatre.

And of course history tells us it was part of our bigger and better journey.

1 hour ago, weller54 said:

Spurred us on to bigger and better things!!..

I'm happy now to celebrate it 😁.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

You should watch it. It's an amazing piece of theatre.

And of course history tells us it was part of our bigger and better journey.

Totally - but nope, that’s in the vault I’ll avoid it all costs. I can’t describe how I felt watching it unfold at the time, don’t want to think about it. I’ve just seen you’ve conveniently re-tweeted it so I’ve hid that tweet lol 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Manini said:

Totally - but nope, that’s in the vault I’ll avoid it all costs. I can’t describe how I felt watching it unfold at the time, don’t want to think about it. I’ve just seen you’ve conveniently re-tweeted it so I’ve hid that tweet lol 

Hats off that you’ve managed to avoid it to be fair. Seems to be around every corner on my social media recently lol  

4 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Hats off that you’ve managed to avoid it to be fair. Seems to be around every corner on my social media recently lol  

The muted words feature on Twitter is good if you don’t already use it. To be fair I think I‘ve got as far Knocky winning the pen then I just can’t do anymore after that lol 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Manini said:

The muted words feature on Twitter is good if you don’t already use it. To be fair I think I‘ve got as far Knocky winning the pen then I just can’t do anymore after that lol 

Don’t think I’d have anything left on twitter if I used the muted words feature lol  

1 hour ago, Manini said:

I'm more embarrassed by the Knocky penalty claim than I am by the nature of our defeat and squirm a little every time I see it.

44 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Crazy to think for a lot of Watford fans that will genuinely be the highlight of their lifetime of watching their team. 

Makes me think how lucky we are to witness what we have. 

Well we have won a few play-off finals and promoted a couple of years later but I suppose in terms of a moment for many younger fans yes. 

Ofcoutse getting to the cup final was great but again that game was one to forget!!

Blt like as I say the play off final !!

Ofcourse you have had some success since ..

;)

41 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm more embarrassed by the Knocky penalty claim than I am by the nature of our defeat and squirm a little every time I see it.

Still to this day can’t believe the ref gave it - he must have shit himself when he’s seen him go down, big game like that and at that time in the game too, and just had to make a decision on instinct. He got it wrong but it didn’t matter anyway in the end! 

19 minutes ago, Manini said:

Still to this day can’t believe the ref gave it - he must have shit himself when he’s seen him go down, big game like that and at that time in the game too, and just had to make a decision on instinct. He got it wrong but it didn’t matter anyway in the end! 

No chance that it gets overturned if it happened in the PL today, though. I agree that it's not a penalty, but it's the sort that Salah, Mane et al get on a regular basis. If there's contact of any sort the ref's gagging to point to the spot. Unless it's Vardy against Watford, that is....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Crazy to think for a lot of Watford fans that will genuinely be the highlight of their lifetime of watching their team. 

Makes me think how lucky we are to witness what we have. 

it's one of the best moments in football history, of course its the highlight of supporting a pretty irrelevant club like watford. 

even with all that's happened to us since we've never had a pure "moment" of madness on that scale. 

1 minute ago, ScouseFox said:

it's one of the best moments in football history, of course its the highlight of supporting a pretty irrelevant club like watford. 

even with all that's happened to us since we've never had a pure "moment" of madness on that scale. 

Guess Burnley away in the survival season is closest we've had in recent years. They miss a pen and we score within 60 seconds to help us massively towards survival.

Obviously not on the same dramatic scale as last minute in a Play-off semi.

1 hour ago, Manini said:

Michael Oliver was involved in that Brentford v Doncaster which had the same situation a few weeks earlier !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ScouseFox said:

But you wouldn't trade would you.

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

But you wouldn't trade would you.

our last ten years for that moment? no. 

but it's hardly "crazy" that it's a high point of supporting watford. outside of us, city, united, liverpool, arsenal and chelsea, i don't think any other clubs will have had anything to celebrate on that scale since the turn of the century. 

• Like 1

The game there six months later was glorious. Their mascot taking the piss before the game by "diving" in the box, Wood's face goal, the angry ginger kid on camera during the celebration, Knockaert thumping one in and joining the fans, Deeney blasting wide an open goal, Lloyd notching a third, our fans were on top form that day too.

The play-off ending was horrible, and I'm not usually one who looks back on bad things happening for the greater good, but that match made the team stronger, we didn't suffer badly unlike relegation and we went out to prove the doubters wrong, which we did emphatically.

The Cardiff defeat three years before hurt a lot more- that team had given everything for the cause, deserved the top six place and took it all the way. In 2013, we'd buggered up a very gettable top two place and lost our nerve when it mattered.

• Like 1

Cardiff and Deeney day today.

Really contrasting emotions. Cardiff despite the Kermit moment, i was so proud of us as a team and a fanbase that evening.

Watford however I was so pissed off and gutted at the time. Closest I'd come to actual tears at the football since Swindon in 93. And having to get the train back to tring with to many yellow shirts didn't help my mood, was meant to go back to my sister in laws, but I was so pissed off I went to a pub and got the wife to pick me up from there. Nice little place, sat in the lounge with my mate and sank a few beers.

Went for a piss and there must have been 50 or so watford all watching and cheering man utd on on the tv, bizarre.

Anyway the minute knocky scored the following season, I felt great, redemption for him, us as a club, as a fan base I felt we had the final laugh.

But like many I have still never watched the whole episode from the penalty incident to the goal in full and I'm not sure I care too.