Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Remembering stuff like bagging a last minute equaliser at home to Yeovil (who are now 15th in the National League) only seven years ago really gives you sense of perspective about our journey.

That keeps me sane when we lose the odd game or when our "big time bottlers" lose a Cup semi final or "only finish fifth" in the Premier League.

Isn’t that the point though Geoff - most of us realise that this is quite likely to be a transient  ‘successful’ period of our club’s history before we return to our normal level of lower half prem/top half championship 

hence the general anxiety to squeeze every last positive result and outcome from it ....

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I interviewed him just before lockdown last year and he was still annoyed about it.

Remembering stuff like bagging a last minute equaliser at home to Yeovil (who are now 15th in the National League) only seven years ago really gives you sense of perspective about our journey.

That keeps me sane when we lose the odd game or when our "big time bottlers" lose a Cup semi final or "only finish fifth" in the Premier League.

Also, in the 11 years after coming out of Div 3, Manchester City finished as high as fifth once (2010), not as glorious as us in the same timeframe.

The idea that we are bottlers is weird.  Every game is a big one and our current manger bests our best win percentage of any of our managers.

When we 'bottled' against Slavia Prague, we had previously not bottled to the extent that it was our second best European campaign ever.   When we 'bottled' against West Ham last week, we showed character to nearly fight back for a draw.

• Like 2

4 years ago we played Atletico in the champs league quarter final. 12 years ago we beat Southend 2-0 to confirm promotion from league 1. And here we are today in our 1st fa Cup semi in my lifetime. Been a mad journey for us over the past 12 years 

Edited by jayfox26
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Six years ago today we beat Swansea 2-0 in the great escape .....

That, for me, was a massive result in our history. 

Vards at West Brom as well, but the Swansea game, I think, we were the only side at the bottom, playing that day. 

Still think they could have had a penalty when we were 1-0 up as the player stayed on his feet to get the shot in, which Kasper saved. 

A huge moment 🦊

5 minutes ago, Hollyfox said:

That, for me, was a massive result in our history. 

Vards at West Brom as well, but the Swansea game, I think, we were the only side at the bottom, playing that day. 

Still think they could have had a penalty when we were 1-0 up as the player stayed on his feet to get the shot in, which Kasper saved. 

A huge moment 🦊

I had to miss that game as my 4 yo was having an op 

Every year she says it’s x number of years since his op and I say it’s x number of years since we beat Swansea 2-0 .... you can imagine how that goes down but somehow I never seem to learn !!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

I had to miss that game as my 4 yo was having an op 

Every year she says it’s x number of years since his op and I say it’s x number of years since we beat Swansea 2-0 .... you can imagine how that goes down but somehow I never seem to learn !!

It's funny how dates are remembered by football matches. 

The amount of times my wife's said about holidays in the past and I've remembered it saying 'yeah, we watched Leicester v whoever in some bar' 

I've had mates that have had weddings during a world cup or a euro, and asked them why they'd tie the knot on a day when England are playing? 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Six years ago today we beat Swansea 2-0 in the great escape .....

Christ six years :o massive win. Wasn’t Nugent supposed to start instead of Ulloa and got injured in warm ups so Leo started. Then scores a massive goal. 

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Isn’t that the point though Geoff - most of us realise that this is quite likely to be a transient  ‘successful’ period of our club’s history before we return to our normal level of lower half prem/top half championship 

hence the general anxiety to squeeze every last positive result and outcome from it ....

Let's hope we take another big step forwards today pal.

3 hours ago, majaco said:

The idea that we are bottlers is weird.  Every game is a big one and our current manger bests our best win percentage of any of our managers.

When we 'bottled' against Slavia Prague, we had previously not bottled to the extent that it was our second best European campaign ever.   When we 'bottled' against West Ham last week, we showed character to nearly fight back for a draw.

Yep, words like 'bottlers' and 'failure' get chucked around far too easily these days.

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This will never get old to watch. 

I remember this guy so clearly. When the penalty was awarded for some reason I pulled my phone out to check out remaining fixtures and thought we’d blown it. It was missed, we scored and my emotions changed to we’ll win every game. It’s ridiculous how a football fans emotions during a game can change so drastically.

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Another one where I remember exactly what I was doing that afternoon.......

I was in the Burnley end trying to conceal my joy! That was a momentous game in our recent history. Who knows what may have happened had Taylor converted his pen.

Bottlers is a popular moniker at the moment but that team epitomised lacking the fight. Home match, sell out crowd against another absolutely crap team and a dismal performance.

The lot of them should be ashamed at dragging us into the third tier.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Corky said:

Bottlers is a popular moniker at the moment but that team epitomised lacking the fight. Home match, sell out crowd against another absolutely crap team and a dismal performance.

The lot of them should be ashamed at dragging us into the third tier.

Worked out alright though, didn't it?