Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Four years ago today, Leicester killed Ranieri. 

Thank **** our owners knew better than all the patronising willy pullers across the country. 

still makes me sad - i remember i was having a 'tom tit' when it was actually reported on five live …...strange how you remember some things ……….. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Corky said:

Probably the oddest feeling I've had about the club. It was completely the right decision, the owners made a bold and brave choice and took the flak but the whole thing was just strange and regrettable, such a shit way for an icon to go.

Fortunately, it didn't end with the turmoil of relegation and we can remember his season of brilliance. And also mock the faux outrage from pundits who 18 months before queued up to take the piss that we'd appointed a clown.

It was absolutely the right decision and one I remember begrudgingly calling for a couple of weeks before.

Sadly there is no sentiment in going down. I got the impression at the time that football fans around the country thought we should have been happy if he took us down to the Conference, and suddenly everyone’s opinions seemed to hold more weight than ours.

On 23/02/2021 at 17:44, Danizen said:

I bet all the neutrals that said Ranieri should be able to take us down and not get sacked are all on Twitter nowadays, admiring how well run we are with absolutely no sense of irony.

Exactly. Wouldn't be where we are now if we hadn't sacked him. No Europa League, no top 4 challenge, no Maddison, Tielemans, Forfana, Soyuncu, Ricardo etc. Ndidi gone, others probably too. Barnes probably not developing into the player he is. No £80m for Maguire as he never joins. No big money for Mahrez as we're forced to sell at relegation. No new training ground, no planned stadium expansion. The whole future of the club hinged on that decision. Were we going to revert to type or push on with the project.

39 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Exactly. Wouldn't be where we are now if we hadn't sacked him. No Europa League, no top 4 challenge, no Maddison, Tielemans, Forfana, Soyuncu, Ricardo etc. Ndidi gone, others probably too. Barnes probably not developing into the player he is. No £80m for Maguire as he never joins. No big money for Mahrez as we're forced to sell at relegation. No new training ground, no planned stadium expansion. The whole future of the club hinged on that decision. Were we going to revert to type or push on with the project.

I get where you're coming from, but you have no way of evidencing any of those things not happening as a result of that one decision not being made :) 

Top marks for backwards speculation though...

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

I get where you're coming from, but you have no way of evidencing any of those things not happening as a result of that one decision not being made :) 

Top marks for backwards speculation though...

I have no evidence we would definitely have gone down, but its very likely. We also would have been extremely unlikely to have signed most of the players we have since due to the fact we hadn't changed manager. We may actually be in a better place now, but the evidence at the time suggested not and where we are now is proof enough it was a justified decision.

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I have no evidence we would definitely have gone down, but its very likely. We also would have been extremely unlikely to have signed most of the players we have since due to the fact we hadn't changed manager. We may actually be in a better place now, but the evidence at the time suggested not and where we are now is proof enough it was a justified decision.

Oh don't get me wrong, it was definitely the right decision to sack him. But there's no way of knowing what would have happened otherwise...

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

When you put it like that, sacking Ranieri was so pivotal. Had he stayed, at best we would now be a yo-yo club like Norwich with loads of OK-ish players. At worst we would where Huddersfield are now, 16th in the Championship. 

Chilwell would be sold for £12m to West Ham. Vardy and Mahrez would have gone for £30-35m each. 

*all speculations of course since we don't know exactly how things would have transpired.

• 2 weeks later...

Look at Barnes second goal. Loads of two touch pass and move. Tielemans creates that goal by his brilliant movement. He doesn't get the assist stat to prove it but he passes the eye test. I miss us playing like this. Sometimes these days I feel we take too many touches and slow things down. 

Edited by Koke

44 minutes ago, Koke said:

Look at Barnes second goal. Loads of two touch pass and move. Tielemans creates that goal by his brilliant movement. He doesn't get the assist stat to prove it but he passes the eye test. I miss us playing like this. Sometimes these days I feel we take too many touches and slow things down. 

Different times different team. Before full on Covid and injuries.

We nearly didn't go to the game. Almost gave the tickets away.

We were out of town on a break and would have had to drive back home midway just for the game. In the end, decided to and so glad we did. Top performance and who were we to know it will be over a year before we go back :cry:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...