Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

So basically a funding gap?  Easily fixed.  Student visas already exist, and more people have been recruited to process them.  I should think most people coming to the UK to join courses would start in September, so 10 months to sort that out.  Or indeed the government could just agree to continue with the programs noted above, or waive the visa requirement for EU students.

Wouldn't that involve a deal?

Edited by Ali Begbie

22 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Utter utter crap.  Even the most apolocalyptics forecasts suggest an impact of 0.5% of GDP growth.  Which is sod all in the greater scheme of 

The IMF non-apolocalyptic prediction (based om no border delays whatsoever)is 3.5% of GDP lost over 3 years. Which is approx £60 billion. 

Added to the £100 billion in lost growth we've already had since the referendum. 

Their prediction for the EU was 0.5% of GDP in the same circumstances. 

• Like 1

Regarding simply EU research funding within the UK, it accounts for just over 10% of the total.

UK government is pushing more for Middle East cooperation at the minute (and last few years) according to my supervisor.

Edited by Beechey

1 minute ago, Beechey said:

Regarding EU research funding within the UK, it accounts for just over 10% of the total.

UK government is pushing more for Middle East cooperation at the minute (and last few years) according to my supervisor.

Not just about the money tbh, more about the ease of collaboration and maintaining existing collaborative projects given additional border and other concerns.

I'm guessing by "Middle Eastern" this means "Israeli", as that's the only player in the region the UK would be seen with, besides the obvious arms deals to the Saudis of course?

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Not just about the money tbh, more about the ease of collaboration and maintaining existing collaborative projects given additional border and other concerns.

I'm guessing by "Middle Eastern" this means "Israeli", as that's the only player in the region the UK would be seen with, besides the obvious arms deals to the Saudis of course?

Certainly very true. Won't hear any arguments from me on these points whatsoever.

Regarding the second point, my group just finished a research project with King Saud University, and are about to start something with a Turkish university (name escapes me).

Edited by Beechey

The collaboration part is as important as the funding. Say you're trialing a new drug - it'll go through multiple trials, and in each trial you'll need to use it on a certain amount of people to have any confidence in the results. With many institutions working in many countries on the same project, you get data much quicker, which allows the project to move on much quicker.

With things like treatments for aggressive cancers, medications to slow down Alzheimer's - a non-medical example would be ideas to tackle climate change - we want (need) the research to move as quickly as possible.

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

So if the government guaranteed to match EU funding for 2-5 years that would be ok?

Has there ever been a suggestion from the government to do this, or similar, in the case of any deal on Brexit?

If not, why not? 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Has there ever been a suggestion from the government to do this, or similar, in the case of any deal on Brexit?

If not, why not? 

This is it as far as I'm aware. EU research grants to the UK account for about £800m per year, though.

It's no small figure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-pledges-to-protect-science-and-research-post-brexit

Edited by Beechey

12 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Certainly very true. Won't hear any arguments from me on these points whatsoever.

Regarding the second point, my group just finished a research project with King Saud University, and are about to start something with a Turkish university (name escapes me).

Interesting to hear - I'm always of the opinion that more research collaboration is better.

1 minute ago, Swan Lesta said:

Accusing Directors of health foundations being full of self serving crap for raising concerns is arguably a tad ironic if you think the current government (who are of course the least self serving group of individuals imaginable) can and will sort all these challenges and issues around health and education by October the 31st to minimise the impact of a no deal.

I’ll think you’ll find Lord Rees-Mogg is one of the most philanthropical benefactors in the Kingdom! He once allowed the local orphans free rummaging in the bins and gave them 2 minutes head start before he called the dogs! Much more generous than these ‘Health Foundaton’ chaps! 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I’ll think you’ll find Lord Rees-Mogg is one of the most philanthropical benefactors in the Kingdom! He once allowed the local orphans free rummaging in the bins and gave them 2 minutes head start before he called the dogs! Much more generous than these ‘Health Foundaton’ chaps! 

In fairness the reason that those children are orphans is down to over-breeding. Why can't they follow suit with JRM and only have 6?  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Why can't they follow suit with JRM and only have 6?  

Well they may not be all his, (I very much hope they are) but I don't know. Horrifyingly, on a personal level Mogg believes that life is created at the moment of conception and does not believe it right that women should have the right to choose even in cases when they have been raped. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Well they may not be all his, (I very much hope they are) but I don't know. Horrifyingly, on a personal level Mogg believes that life is created at the moment of conception and does not believe it right that women should have the right to choose even in cases when they have been raped. 

Fortunately he is sensible enough to separate his unpleasant religion based beliefs from his political ones.

19 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

You seem to have a lot of opinions.

Are you getting them from Putin via the internet?

So far they all seem to have been blown out the water ( you probably think by the EU Navy).

I am fed up with reading never ending lists of potential problems with no attempt to suggest any solutions or mitigating opportunities.  People need to wake up and actually work on solutions - Brexit is happening, and pissing around arguing about it is why we are in the mess now.

• Like 2