Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

10 minutes ago, simFox said:

As well as being an internet constitutional expert, you can now understand why the supposedly impartial speaker Bercow is considered to be overstepping his mark.

And do you think Andrea Leadsom of all people will be impartial? Not a chance in hell.

Its more gaming by Johnson/Cummings to shut down Democracy and usher in Conservative Authoritarian rule. Say what you like about Bercow and what you perceive to be overstepping but we are in uncharted waters politically so there will be times where he will use his judgement for what he thinks is best for all of parliament and not just the Government. Which has been arguably right because there has been a majority in Parliament to rule out no deal since day dot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

I wouldn't consider myself an 'expert' in anything to be honest.

Arguably, part of the reason we're in this predicament is far too many people are quick to assume they're experts in matters they don't truly fully understand or comprehend.

Well thanks for your quick Google analysis on the subject of SO24.

:facepalm:

27 minutes ago, simFox said:

Well thanks for your quick Google analysis on the subject of SO24.

:facepalm:

My quote was straight from Erskine May. I then reiterated that the implications for such were beyond my knowledge and better suited to someone with a genuine background in the field. 

Life’s a lot easier if you’re not immediately on the offensive against anything that may not align perfectly to your views :thumbup:

40 minutes ago, Dames said:

This is where the Brexiteers are mostly getting angry because they feel that the referendum vote must come before anything else. There are rules and procedures to follow and the Leavers voted for Parliament to have full 'Sovereignty' and this is part of that Sovereignty.

All the speaker does is allow the MPs to have a fair say, whatever their viewpoint. The problem is that Leavers have now got to the point that they want to shut down all Remainers - I'm sorry but this is part of the democracy you all harp on about, everyone has a say.

But some have more say than others...

Should have went ages ago, he knew the writing was on the wall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/24/vote-may-open-door-to-more-parliamentary-bullying-claims

2 hours ago, HappyHamza said:

By going before the next election, Bercow is ensuring that it is the current parliament that will decide upon the next speaker. Well done him.

Thus ensuring another partisan remainer.  When this is all said and done, the damage the man has done to the position of Speaker will be revealed to be unrepairable.

This pretty much sums it up:

Bollocks to Bercow.

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

he just went on some rant on corbyn spouting bollocks you'd regularly read in the dailymail, i'm pretty sure you'll be able to find it on twitter. 

Funnily enough I just found it ....seemed a bit odd to be making that speech now but perhaps he’s getting it in as he may not get another opportunity ! 

tbh, the Labour front bench may not want to hear it but it wasn’t particularly unfactual ......... just need one of the Tory rebels to fell it how it is about bojo! 

18 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Why do brexiteers think it's ok to have another GE but not have another referendum? I can't see the argument for one but not the other. 

A general election may not solve anything. At least a second referendum would show what the public wants now it has a clear idea of what brexit entails. 

Well how many shall we have until you get the result you want? 2? 3? 4?  What version of remain would be on the ballot paper?  If remain narrowly won a 2nd vote, how would you respect the wishes of leave voters?  Soft remain?

Also, what would be the point of a 2nd vote when the leaders of both the Liberal Democrats and Greens have said they wouldn't respect the vote if we voted Leave again.  Can guarantee many in Labour wouldn't respect it either.

The House of Commons now holds many MP's who have renaged on the manifestos they stood on in 2017 to win their seats.  A General Election is needed to allow the country a say on this and whether they agree with the way parliament is conducting its current business.

If the country votes in Labour either as a majority, or as part of some sort of coalition then I'm sure there will be a second referendum.  But first we need that General Election.  

• Like 1