Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

I'm really not sure what remainers think they are doing. The extension is down to their paralysing tactics, which anyone can see is designed to stop brexit.

The inevitable GE will come and we can hold them accountable for it.

I won't be voting for a party, I'll be scrutinizing the actual MP, to ensure they are best aligned with my views. None of them have stood by their parties manifesto pledge anyway.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

The legislation only solves a small part of the problem on FOM, not the whole thing in its entirety. It doesn’t solve the suppression of wages, it just attempts to stop welfare migrants.

Surely there are reasonably simple ways for the UK government to ensure businesses are not exploiting migrant labour. I'm sure the Netherlands have such laws. 

• Like 3

I know this has been said before but I'll say it again: regardless of what happens from here the enmity Brexit has brought to the fore is going to last an awful long time, because I don't see an amicable solution being applied - either one side or the other is going to fall hard, and whichever one it is the divisions it causes will remain deep.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I was just replying to a post that implied that the euro was doing better than a “project fear weakened pound”. Patent nonsense.

A weak pound is highly beneficial for some businesses, particularly those exporting, but may cause prices to rise for consumers due to higher priced imports.

All true except that we aren’t an exporting economy ..... and can’t take the opportunities that the soft pound presents in the same we could when we were ........

i know from my own experience that the lost margins re the currency drop can’t have just disappeared........ my assumption is that many business’ were accruing much larger profits than was being declared in their accounts ........ (probably via undervalued inventories) .......  goods being sold since 2016 haven’t increased enough to cover a maintaining of profitability from that period ....... we will probably never know how much we have lost as a country from this period of dither and indecision ..........

was thinking about the governments apparent lack of discussion with the eu over a solution to the existing situation ........ my conclusion is that they are either completely relaxed with ‘no deal’ (v v high risk political strategy) or they expected to get a mid October GE with subsequent decent majority which would force the EU into making many quick concessions to avoid no deal (which they desperately want to avoid despite what they may be saying publicly).  The point here being that there is no point negotiating now from a weak parliamentary position when they expect to be in a strong one by third week October.  Now they are hamstrung and making badly thought through decisions as a result ........ and still Rome burns .......

1 hour ago, bovril said:

And what guarantees are there that after Brexit businesses will stop employing and underpaying migrants? Since a lot of Brexiters seem bottom-line libertarian types, I'm not sure we'll see a massive boost to British workers' rights and pay. 

Businesses won’t on their own but making the process more difficult to come here will naturally stem the flow. Migration has already slowed and wages are moving up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-49328855

If employers are finding it difficult to recruit, then they should look to investing in improving their workforce, by means of better training for efficiency. 

Its not just about current workforce efficiency either, why invest in training school leavers in any particular industry when you can take ready made/trained staff from the continent?  The EU has a huge problem with youth unemployment and freedom of movement has to take its share of the blame.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sly said:

A friend explain it like this to me: 

1. You all decide to go out for a meal on Saturday. You put it to a vote and Nando’s wins, 7 votes to 6. You don’t agree but heah, that’s what the majority want, so you’ll run with it.

2. On the Tuesday, it comes out that Nando’s has had a major bout of food poisoning and the place has been labelled “crazy if you go there”. You contact your friends to advise and suggest having another vote, as you don’t want to be Ill. 

3. Crazy Bill is a Nando’s radical and will only eat their or he isn’t coming. Jane believes they were dupped and wasn’t aware of the situation however the original vote should stand (so let’s just go and get unwell, shall we guys). 

...... would you still go to Nando’s, or would you look at having a re-vote?! 

I take it 'Crazy Bill' was the friend who told you this.

• Haha 1

We’re in uncharted water really. In days gone by, we’d most likely have had a civil war to sort this out. 

Which ever way you voted, you can not say that this entire saga has impacted us all. It’s all we’ve spoken about for 3 years. How much money has it cost businesses in purely discussing and preparing for it.

No one knows what will happen if we leave without a deal. 

No one knows what a deal will look like.

If we have a “peoples vote” and remain wins, do we then have a third and deciding vote? 

This isn’t going away and to a degree, the use of social media has basically made it the first digital war of manipulation of information. 

Which ever way we go, we just need to draw a line on it and move on. Unfortunately it just isn’t going to happen. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You forgot about the 3 friends who are coming along who wouldn't have voted to go to Nando's, but arrogantly assumed that the rest of us would never vote to go to Nando's, so they just sat on their fat arse watching Love Island instead of getting back to you with their vote. And now funnily enough they're the ones bitching most of all about having to go to Nando's. And me, who voted not to go to Nando's, is left thinking, 'Thanks a lot you lazy tosspots'.

Yes! 😂 

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

Businesses won’t on their own but making the process more difficult to come here will naturally stem the flow. Migration has already slowed and wages are moving up.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-49328855

If employers are finding it difficult to recruit, then they should look to investing in improving their workforce, by means of better training for efficiency. 

Its not just about current workforce efficiency either, why invest in training school leavers in any particular industry when you can take ready made/trained staff from the continent?  The EU has a huge problem with youth unemployment and freedom of movement has to take its share of the blame.

That’s FOM’s major weak spot in a nutshell.Why bother training the next generation when you can simply import labour from abroad.This isn’t helped by the fact that a lot of that labour will come from countries with weaker economies.Didn't anybody see the potential for problems here. It doesn’t help anybody in the long run except the big bosses.FOM also has an effect on the rental market.Its the people at the bottom who bear the brunt of all this.Yet the EU is seen as a left wing organisation 😂

1 hour ago, Sly said:

A friend explain it like this to me: 

1. You all decide to go out for a meal on Saturday. You put it to a vote and Nando’s wins, 7 votes to 6. You don’t agree but heah, that’s what the majority want, so you’ll run with it.

2. On the Tuesday, it comes out that Nando’s has had a major bout of food poisoning and the place has been labelled “crazy if you go there”. You contact your friends to advise and suggest having another vote, as you don’t want to be Ill. 

3. Crazy Bill is a Nando’s radical and will only eat their or he isn’t coming. Jane believes they were dupped and wasn’t aware of the situation however the original vote should stand (so let’s just go and get unwell, shall we guys). 

...... would you still go to Nando’s, or would you look at having a re-vote?! 

I think its more akin to a pyramid scheme.

A few guys have told certain people quit your jobs and join our scheme. Youll get rich. In the process theyve not discussed how, when, why, or the legitimacy of whether you will, but theyve made it appealing to think you will.

These people then recruit their friends into the scheme. They talk about them at work where facts, rationality and plausibility dont matter very much. A good conversation, some sensationalism and a dash of self pity matters more. 

As more and more people become invested in the lie, just like a pyramid scheme it becomes obvious the only people who stand to make anything out of it are the people at the very top. Theyre going to make you go away and sell some useless product at a high cost to people already recruited, or, as in this case, people realise that its not in their interests to be part of the scheme.

They obviously dont want to look daft though. So they dig their heels in and become further invested in their mistake.

It doesnt even matter anymore what the point of the scheme is, no one can win anyway. Its about not looking silly or admitting their mistake.

And there you have the situation we have now.

Take people off the record. Remove their friends and peer groups and the media they consume, their opinion would be very very different.

If people like for example, richard tyce were properly questionned on why he thinks the GATT24 article can be used and then demonstrated, whilst he is in presence, exactly why it cant from a wto lawyer etc, it would fall apart. We know it cant but they both need to be discussing the issue together.

People criticse corbyn for not wanting thr general election on the basis really he would lose.

Yet the same people surpress any talk whatsoever of the second referendum, which is clearly a DIFFERENT referendum as you would have to put known quantities, or PLANS against each other to decide whats best.

No deal still has to have a plan. But it doesnt. Its still anything to anyone and thats why it has support. There are hardly any brexiteers out there who can develop the conversation beyond "just leave"... so when 1st november comes around, what do you do?

I see plenty of contingencies put in place but these just seem like trying to run the country as if we were in the eu and mitigate the difficulties of being out, rather than a better way to run a country.

But the 2nd referendum is met with huge resistence by leavers, because theyre also scared of losing their majority, and they know Boris probably wont implement the plans he discusses anyway. They know the other side knows that.

I have no opposition if brexit is done with a sensible plan. Being as there is not one i will keep arguing remain is the better option. There are more like me around and the whole operation is focused on silencing such people.

Edited by Donk

6 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I thought John Mcdonnell's use of the words honest and honestly was quite amusing.

Stuck to his point whether you agree with him or not. Javid was contradicting himself within the space of one sentence.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Stuck to his point whether you agree with him or not. Javid was contradicting himself within the space of one sentence.

He did indeed, a point that changes with the wind. Some may say dynamic others may say shambolic, it's all down to interpretation. 

Edited by The Guvnor

Just now, The Guvnor said:

He did indeed, a point that changes with the wind. Some may say dynamic others may say shambolic, it's all down to interpretation. 

What? No to a general election until no deal is off the table. Pretty chear stance. Javid was all over the shop, unable to answer, unable to give detail. The prime minister will respect the law but in the same breath saying he'll break it.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

What? No to a general election until no deal is off the table. Pretty chear stance. Javid was all over the shop, unable to answer, unable to give detail. The prime minister will respect the law but in the same breath saying he'll break it.

From Sajid's response to the question over respecting the law,  and incidentally I personally hope the law is respected, it did appear from his response some of the cards have been kept very close to their chest, don't be surprised if some counter measure is revealed over the near future. 

With regards Labours position it has changed more times than a babies nappy , quite a decent analogy actually.

Edited by The Guvnor

31 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Labour’s stance is anything but clear. If they want to remain then they should campaign for remain and not this nonsense of negotiating an alternative deal and then campaign against it! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fMu17LvBj7E

• Like 1