Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

People leaving early when we are 4 or 5 nil up

1 hour ago, Yes N'Didi said:

I'm also entitled to think that it would be nicer if the people behind me didn't ask 'What on earth does Ayoze Perez do' every five minutes in every match he plays in.

It would be nicer to think that we don't sing 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' to teams who have won it more than us.

It would be nicer to think that we don't sing '**** VAR* when it performs a check, and then when someone goes down in the box, chant 'VAR, VAR, VAR' making us look like imbeciles.

Interesting.   But I'm not sure what it has to do with this topic?   Maybe we need a new "it would be nice to have" thread.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

You are THE best supporter ever, we get it. Bravo here's your trophy, now concentrate on your masters, which I presume is focussed on other peoples lives also. 

s-l300.jpg

Quite a few people have made sarcastic comments about people who stay til the end rather than LEAVING EARLY every week being in some way 'better fans'.

Well I don't see what's so controversial about the point generally, if someone walked out of a Morrissey concert early I would think he perhaps wasn't as much of a Morrissey fan as the fellas staying til the show actually ended. If someone left the Impractical Jokers live show at the 02 in London to avoid traffic rather than sit through what they paid for, I would think they perhaps weren't as into it as many of the other patrons.

So yes, I think those that are dedicated enough to see the whole match through and show one of the best teams we've ever had their appreciation, rather than go to the pub/get home a bit earlier or any other similar reason are in some ways better SUPPORTERS. 

@old koppite drew a distinction between 'supporters' and 'fans' and was ridiculed by some (undoubtedly by those who regularly leave early yet were offended by these comments). But he is completely right. A supporter is someone who SUPPORTS their team throughout the whole match and finds a few minutes to show their appreciation afterwards, as most would do after any live entertainment event. A fan is someone who follows Leicester City from near or afar, and like my Morrisey/Impractical Jokers analogy, can't really be arsed most weeks to see the whole thing through.

The fact is this problem does seem to be getting worse, and it most probably is a cultural thing, but that doesn't make it something we should all accept as good or that it should be a taboo subject. I think some people just treat the football as a routine/a thing to check off their list, and maybe take their ticket for granted. I don't have a season ticket now, but in the 16 odd years I had one I never left early of my own volition. People have a choice in most scenarios over whether they LEAVE, or SUPPORT, and I don't understand why supporting your team is not viewed by some in here as a trait of a more dedicated supporter than those who simply can't be bothered to stay

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I sit at the end of a row in the East Stand near the penalty box and every game people block the view by arriving late , going to the concourse before half time , leaving early stopping to watch an attack...I would stand but there are elderly fans behind so that would be unfair on them. So at 5-0 and 90+ mins on the clock I left. I go to all the away games , stand and stay to clap players off win lose or draw. I THINK THERE SHOULD BE AN EXIT SHUTE BUILT AS PART OF THE GROUND EXPANSION SO THOSE LEAVING EARLY DONT BLOCK MY VIEW🤓!!! 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Quite a few people have made sarcastic comments about people who stay til the end rather than LEAVING EARLY every week being in some way 'better fans'.

Well I don't see what's so controversial about the point generally, if someone walked out of a Morrissey concert early I would think he perhaps wasn't as much of a Morrissey fan as the fellas staying til the show actually ended. If someone left the Impractical Jokers live show at the 02 in London to avoid traffic rather than sit through what they paid for, I would think they perhaps weren't as into it as many of the other patrons.

So yes, I think those that are dedicated enough to see the whole match through and show one of the best teams we've ever had their appreciation, rather than go to the pub/get home a bit earlier or any other similar reason are in some ways better SUPPORTERS. 

@old koppite drew a distinction between 'supporters' and 'fans' and was ridiculed by some (undoubtedly by those who regularly leave early yet were offended by these comments). But he is completely right. A supporter is someone who SUPPORTS their team throughout the whole match and finds a few minutes to show their appreciation afterwards, as most would do after any live entertainment event. A fan is someone who follows Leicester City from near or afar, and like my Morrisey/Impractical Jokers analogy, can't really be arsed most weeks to see the whole thing through.

The fact is this problem does seem to be getting worse, and it most probably is a cultural thing, but that doesn't make it something we should all accept as good or that it should be a taboo subject. I think some people just treat the football as a routine/a thing to check off their list, and maybe take their ticket for granted. I don't have a season ticket now, but in the 16 odd years I had one I never left early of my own volition. People have a choice in most scenarios over whether they LEAVE, or SUPPORT, and I don't understand why supporting your team is not viewed by some in here as a trait of a more dedicated supporter than those who simply can't be bothered to stay

It’s a sad thing that people who want to improve the atmosphere and maintain a positive image of our fanbase (rather than have other fans looking at empty seats after a 5-0 win on sky and laughing at how bad our tinpot support is) are met with ridicule and sarcasm or viewed as unreasonable.

if people are happy with shite atmospheres and half-hearted support and polite applause from a feeble amount of people who stay the full 90 when we score 5 and when we could potentially get champions league this season then by all means carry on.

Just know that no other club is like this, and in this case, difference is not a good thing.

Edited by WhatTheSchlupp?
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

It’s a sad thing that people who want to improve the atmosphere and maintain a positive image of our fanbase (rather than have other fans looking at empty seats after a 5-0 win on sky and laughing at how bad our tinpot support is) are met with ridicule and sarcasm or viewed as unreasonable.

if people are happy with shite atmospheres and half-hearted support and polite applause from a feeble amount of people who stay the full 90 when we score 5 and when we could potentially get champions league this season then by all means carry on.

Just know that no other club is like this, and in this case, difference is not a good thing.

come on that isnt true is it. Such a sweeping statment to say that Leicester fans are the ONLY team in the land that fans leave early.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

come on that isnt true is it. Such a sweeping statment to say that Leicester fans are the ONLY team in the land that fans leave early.

When they win 5-0 yeah I’d say it is.

with any team in probably every division, a 5-0 home win would be met with a full house celebrating. Even if another club might not care about a winning 5-0 and also leave early, we are in a very small minority as a club regarding this issue.

Our City has core support, always has done, but it’s not as hardcore as the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Chelsea, Sunderland, Man City etc.

Okay, now clubs like Chelsea have tourists, but there is a bigger hardcore of what you could call “natural” fans than what Leicester have.

I do recall going to St James Park years ago and I think there was only around 12,000 there, but that is very rare and I think certain Cities have a more committed fan base than ours.

As an example they used to say in the 80’s that productivity in the factories would be up or down on a Monday in the North East dependent on the result on a Saturday.

Having been a fan of LCFC for 45 years, i can honestly say certain other clubs have a more hardcore fanatical fanbase than ours without question.

With regards to leaving early, let’s just look at crowds when we were around the play offs in the Championship. Think it was 18 to 20k per match, which means suddenly we have found 12 to 14k more fans who want to go to a game. These are fans who follow us dependent on how we perform, so I would think a lot of these are the same who wouldn’t be that fussed if they missed the last five minutes of a game as it probably isn’t such an important thing in their lives as the 18k who watched us in the Championship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

It’s an interesting question however, just to see the difference in attitudes between generations, and to add a bit of context to other posters viewpoints with consideration to my (and others) attitudes and how they’ve changed.

Years ago I would be in the ground an hour or more before kick off (going by your name I’m guessing you were as well), sometimes waiting for the gates to open, stay to the very end no matter what the score, and clap the team off. Now we roll in just before kick off, while I’ll stay and clap the team off after a win or good performance my mates head straight off to the pub  unless it’s a pretty special match  like v spurs. Our support isn’t any less but our attitude to how we support the team has changed. I’ll still try and stay to the end but sometimes like Sunday, I’d got my kids with me who were cold and wet and wanted to get off so on the final whistle we legged it out the ground, got to the car and still beat most the traffic.

However thinking about it, usually when ive got my kids I do make a point ensuring they follow like I used to. I try to get into the ground early and I tend to stay behind to clap a little longer than usual. Sunday the kids wanted to go a few minutes early, as I mentioned above they were cold and wet, however I made them stay and Ndidi allowed me to teach them a valuable lesson about not leaving early. I guess I want to instil an attitude in them that was similar to me as a youngster while not necessarily adhering to it strictly myself now I’m older.   

Very good post. 

I fully understand about leaving with your children when they’re cold and wet.

I think for me, I don’t stay just to show other City supporters that I think I’m better than them ( I don’t), I don’t stay to prove anything to the opposition supporters, I stay to show the players my support (and the club as a whole).

I’m glad the kids got to see the Ndidi goal. Off topic, I remember 2 or 3 seasons ago , Norwich got  in the habit of scoring very late crucial goals, but my friend always left early to beat the traffic ( he did work Saturday nights) and missed the goals! Hee hee- lots of leg pulling of course.

Its interesting that the majority of the posters on this topic are not concerned about it ( sad that some resort to childish insults against the OP, when the lad is genuinely passionate about our club), but I’m happy to be in the minority on this one. You’re right about my old habits, which haven’t changed! All the best

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

with any team in probably every division, a 5-0 home win would be met with a full house celebrating. Even if another club might not care about a winning 5-0 and also leave early, we are in a very small minority as a club regarding this issue.

No it wouldnt. If people had plans or trains / buses etc to catch it wouldnt matter on the result life is more important than football for the majoirty. They wouldnt miss a train for instance for the sake of clapping their team off. You might but 90% of people wouldnt.

42 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

Also i dont mean to sound rude but how old are you? As age i think plays a massive part of this arguement.

44 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

Mate you can't honestly believe that?

Have you ever been to another clubs game?

2 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

Also i dont mean to sound rude but how old are you? As age i think plays a massive part of this arguement.

Age hasn't got much to do with it, he's a similar age to me yet has a different view. 

50 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

I'd say a one-sided 5-0 win is more likely to see early leavers. Let's see if there is a similar exodus if the game is closer against Everton in a couple of months with it being the same kick-off time.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Rob1742 said:

Our City has core support, always has done, but it’s not as hardcore as the likes of Newcastle, Leeds, Chelsea, Sunderland, Man City etc.

Okay, now clubs like Chelsea have tourists, but there is a bigger hardcore of what you could call “natural” fans than what Leicester have.

I do recall going to St James Park years ago and I think there was only around 12,000 there, but that is very rare and I think certain Cities have a more committed fan base than ours.

As an example they used to say in the 80’s that productivity in the factories would be up or down on a Monday in the North East dependent on the result on a Saturday.

Having been a fan of LCFC for 45 years, i can honestly say certain other clubs have a more hardcore fanatical fanbase than ours without question.

With regards to leaving early, let’s just look at crowds when we were around the play offs in the Championship. Think it was 18 to 20k per match, which means suddenly we have found 12 to 14k more fans who want to go to a game. These are fans who follow us dependent on how we perform, so I would think a lot of these are the same who wouldn’t be that fussed if they missed the last five minutes of a game as it probably isn’t such an important thing in their lives as the 18k who watched us in the Championship.

I think @Rob1742 has raised an excellent point here. The fact that we now have a lot of people who only show up because we're actually good now must have a positive correlation with the number of people who can't be arsed to sit through a full 90 minutes. These guys simply aren't that bothered, hence why they failed to show up when we weren't in the Premier League, and undoubtedly would leave if we were to get relegated

Edited by What the Fuchs?

1 hour ago, What the Fuchs? said:

No, that's your definition... something you don't quite seem to grasp and why people will continue to be sarcastic about this total pile of horse plop. 

By your definition some old bloke who has followed city home and away for 70 years, but leaves early now because he doesn't want to get caught in a rush of people and be pushed, is lesser of a fan than you. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

I think @Rob1742 has raised an excellent point here. The fact that we now have a lot of people who only show up because we're actually good now must have a positive correlation with the number of people who can't be arsed to sit through a full 90 minutes. These guys simply aren't that bothered, hence why they failed to show up when we weren't in the Premier League, and undoubtedly would leave if we were to get relegated

Mate you make a good point about newer fans coming because of our success. 

But then completely ruin your argument with "can't be arsed to sit through a full 90 minutes." Have you not taken anything on board of people saying why they have to leave early? I had a friend who ran numerous fan pages for his club, but had to leave early every midweek game to get the last train home. Does that make him a bad fan? 

Guest Cujek
5 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I think the majority of us think that murder, torture, armed robbery and rape is wrong.

Let me just pause and reflect on that ...............................

But you are confusing the meaning. 

If you even have to question if those activities are wrong or right in a moral sense, you are exactly in the place that the quote is aimed at. 

8 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

People used to leave early when we were in the championship, people always have and people always will FFS. 

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

They don't anymore. They sing 'Champions of England, YOU MADE US sing that.' 

Thanks for the clarification, I am fully aware of the words to Vichai had a dream. It was sung as it's on independant chant as recently as Sheffield United. 

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

People used to leave early when we were in the championship, people always have and people always will FFS. 

and league 1. It happens everywhere! you go down to watch a non-league game and people will leave early to get out of the car park.

1 hour ago, What the Fuchs? said:

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

No, that's your definition... something you don't quite seem to grasp and why people will continue to be sarcastic about this total pile of horse plop. 

By your definition some old bloke who has followed city home and away for 70 years, but leaves early now because he doesn't want to get caught in a rush of people and be pushed, is lesser of a fan than you. 

Straw man argument again bud, point out where I mentioned elderly fans who have a valid reason to avoid being in a jostling crowd. The fact is @Babylon and @UniFox21 it's all very well categorising every single fan who leaves early as needing to catch a train or being too frail to endure having to queue to get out of the ground, but we all know that's not true for the vast majority of those who leave early. They just want to avoid a bit of traffic.

Edited by What the Fuchs?
  • Like 3