Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

People leaving early when we are 4 or 5 nil up

It’s more the fact people want to isolate this as if we are the only club this happens to. The Etihad was by no means full at the end of an 8-0 win over Watford. It is what it is. It is drastic to call this a ‘situation’. Sure in a perfect world everyone would stay, but perfection doesn’t exist. Let’s just support the team how we want to support it and not judge other supporters who leave when they want to leave. The ground was by no means full at the end, but by no means half empty either! It’s their choice at the end of the day. Our fan base at home is no more “embarrassing” than any other home crowd. People go down early to get stuff at half time, but they aren’t lambasted for not staying in their seats to applaud the first half. In the grand scheme of things, a few thousand leaving early is immaterial compared to the things going on in our world today 

10 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

In my original post I correctly predicted people would say, ‘I paid so I’ll leave when I want thanks’

Thats all well and good, but you can’t deny it’s embarrassing given the result on Sunday.

if I ever saw other fans leave, whether we were away or at home, the way you all do after any victory let alone a massive one I would quite rightfully take the piss as would most Leicester fans. 

Bet the Newcastle fans couldn’t believe their eyes. Fans of other clubs often comment on how bad our support is and I’m inclined to agree based on what I’ve seen and most of your responses to this thread.

I can deny it's embarrassing, because it's the most over used word on here, and I tend not to be embarrassed by such an unimportant thing. 

Do I agree that it would be nicer if everyone could wait until the end to show their appreciation? Yes of course I do. But life isn't perfect, people have their reasons to do as they wish, and I'm old and mature enough to not judge others' actions if they aren't inflicting themselves on me 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

In my original post I correctly predicted people would say, ‘I paid so I’ll leave when I want thanks’

Thats all well and good, but you can’t deny it’s embarrassing given the result on Sunday.

if I ever saw other fans leave, whether we were away or at home, the way you all do after any victory let alone a massive one I would quite rightfully take the piss as would most Leicester fans. 

Bet the Newcastle fans couldn’t believe their eyes. Fans of other clubs often comment on how bad our support is and I’m inclined to agree based on what I’ve seen and most of your responses to this thread.

Match of the day said it was one of the best grounds to visit in the country many watch the last few minutes onthe TV .I must admit I was amazed at the newcastle support as they had a reputation for leaving home matches at half time when playing poorly 

2 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Why bother going then? I'm reading an awful lot of "they might have to get home to their sick relatives" etc. How likely is that to be true for the 50% that leave most weeks when the game is done and dusted. Yet their relatives aren't so sick when there is a nail biting conclusion to a game. No, they just can't be arsed to clap their team off and would rather sit on their sofa to listen to Rodgers' interview than in their car

13 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

Out of interest, how old are you guys?

This isn't me trying to be funny or anything, just general interest on the effect some age has on there view of his topic?

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

This is getting ridiculous now, anybody would think the players were left playing in front of an empty stadium at the end of every game the way some are going on, it’s a minority in my opinion and not worth getting your knickers in a twist over, it’s always happened even back in the O’Neil era, it’ll never change.

Why is it ridiculous though? It’s a good point. Not as many left before the end in the Prem winning season as do now ( and not just our club- please don’t ask me to quote figures!). 

We get our knickers in a twist partly because we believe it makes our club look tinpot. Some people on here just have lame excuses. 

If I had the privilege and skill to be a pro footballer, what would really make my game complete would be see my club’s  fans staying to the end and clapping me off after the whistle. Wonder how much better Will would have felt if they stadium had been full when he scored his goal, and belted  out his song? I’m old fashioned and naive, but still like to think those little things will sometimes help persuade a player to stay with us if they perceive we’re a special club (ala JV maybe?). I know, some of you will scoff, and say modern players don’t give a.....

• Like 1

Can we all just agree on a new procedure for anyone wanting to leave early?

I propose the following:

Anyone wishing to leave early must present their case to @WhatTheSchlupp? Or @What the Fuchs? Detailing the reasons why they wish to leave before the final whistle. They will be allowed to leave without judgement if and only if they are granted express permission from the above mentioned people.

• Haha 1

Just now, HighPeakFox said:

No. I stayed until the end on Saturday. I'm saying that I won't be told off for exercising my prerogative to leave of my own volition, depending on my circumstances. 

Fair enough, I'd be interested to hear from those who regularly leave early what score line or trophy would compel them to stay for the duration of a match. And do they leave the 02 arena early after they've paid to watch a band or a comedian, or do they leave the theatre before the end. If they stick by their logic on this topic, they should leave all events early to avoid traffic surely? Lol

• Like 2

Doesn't bother me at all. I don't know their reasons or how long their journey home may be. My ex-Father in law lived in Mablethorpe and drove to and from every home game without fail at the age of 70. I would not object to him leaving to save a chunk of time on his return home. 

As long as people who decide to leave do so without obstructing others view by standing and gawping at the football when something happens, then fair enough. 

Live and let be. Easy for people to judge who don't have any other commitments outside football and probably have a 15 stroll home/to the pub. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Out of interest, how old are you guys?

This isn't me trying to be funny or anything, just general interest on the effect some age has on there view of his topic?

Very good question. I’m old! How old are you?

I think I know what you’re getting at, that it’s us old farts who get wound up by this subject, and you’re probably right!

Just now, What the Fuchs? said:

Fair enough, I'd be interested to hear from those who regularly leave early what score line or trophy would compel them to stay for the duration of a match. And do they leave the 02 arena early after they've paid to watch a band or a comedian, or do they leave the theatre before the end. If they stick by their logic on this topic, they should leave all events early to avoid traffic surely? Lol

Not quite. Whilst I get the analogy, often getting away from such events is easier, or the number attending is lower. Plus, I suspect a lot of people leaving early are on the older side of 60/whatever age you think, and I can fully understand why that someone getting more tired of crushes/frail/afraid/needing the air might choose to escape before the majority.

3 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Can we all just agree on a new procedure for anyone wanting to leave early?

I propose the following:

Anyone wishing to leave early must present their case to @WhatTheSchlupp? Or @What the Fuchs? Detailing the reasons why they wish to leave before the final whistle. They will be allowed to leave without judgement if and only if they are granted express permission from the above mentioned people.

And me! Ha ha - but I haven’t been to a home game recently so maybe I don’t count. I’m a plastic streamer , or those big gaps and rows of empty seats drives me crazy! 

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

No. I stayed until the end on Saturday. I'm saying that I won't be told off for exercising my prerogative to leave of my own volition, depending on my circumstances. 

So you stay to the end but don’t care if people leave after a win. Would you not agree then that there is something seriously wrong with the game and the mentality of our fans where pride in your team, joy at having your biggest pl win ever, and appreciation of the efforts of one of our best sides in recent years who are in 3rd place, are bettered by a desire to get to the car a few minutes early? 

We go to the football for fun, to support our local team, because we love our club, but I just think it’s sad people view it as a chore to tick off that weeks checklist. 

We go to the football for enjoyment, so when it’s been a great game, celebrate and enjoy it! I travel 3 hours each way to get to games and the guy I sit with has a train to catch, yet both of us don’t rush off to beat the traffic.

i am in no way saying I’m a better fan which I’m sure someone would have been quick to accuse me off. I’m just saying the mentality of many of our supporters who obviously value sitting in a non-moving queue of traffic listening to stringer et al after the game above soaking up the moment and celebrating it with our team and fellow fans is all wrong.

18 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

@Houdini Logic Does this apply to you? I'm guessing it does 😆

I care because I think it's embarrassing, a bit of a cumulative waste of a season ticket and it's probably a bit disheartening for the team that their own fans can't be bothered to even applaud them off after a 5-0 win.

Why do you care that I care, but you don't care about supporting your team til the end?

Edited by What the Fuchs?
  • Like 1