Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

People leaving early when we are 4 or 5 nil up

I think one of the reasons why there are so many threads on this topic is the OPs are desperately trying to understand why fellow human beings do not think or behave in the same way as they do. Having spent most of my working life trying to comprehend human behaviour the only conclusion I've reached is that you can't. Even if you ask folk why they've behaved in a certain way some will lie, others will obfuscate and a fair proportion will have no idea why they've done something. 

EE did a survey in 2016, small sample size of 2000 and found fans leave an average of 7 minutes & 37 seconds before the final whistle equivalent to one and a half games missed each season. 40% gave the reason 'to avoid queues'. So even improving transport infrastructure will not help 60% of the time if the respondents are to be believed.

It isn't just us, it isn't just football and it isn't just an English phenomenon. Neither is it new.

As for those who come to the game and spend all the time on their 'phones ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

Crazy thought but maybe people have more going on in their life than just football? :dunno:

Why bother going then? I'm reading an awful lot of "they might have to get home to their sick relatives" etc. How likely is that to be true for the 50% that leave most weeks when the game is done and dusted. Yet their relatives aren't so sick when there is a nail biting conclusion to a game. No, they just can't be arsed to clap their team off and would rather sit on their sofa to listen to Rodgers' interview than in their car

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Why bother going then? I'm reading an awful lot of "they might have to get home to their sick relatives" etc. How likely is that to be true for the 50% that leave most weeks when the game is done and dusted. Yet their relatives aren't so sick when there is a nail biting conclusion to a game. No, they just can't be arsed to clap their team off and would rather sit on their sofa to listen to Rodgers' interview than in their car

What a ridiculous question. People go to watch their team and (hopefully) get personal enjoyment.

It's not up to you to determine how they should support their team or live their lives. Live and let live.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

If you need to leave then fine - my problem is with people that do it every week win lose or draw, i’d like to know what the team would have to do to get everyone to stay to the end if 5 goals don’t cut it, lifting the trophy again I imagine might make a few change their mind but that’s about it.

My main problem is not only that so many people leave after a massive win, but that that is normal for most of you, and that I’m unreasonable for questioning it more than everyone else is for leaving.

Ps. I leave "my seat" early every week, normally for the same reason as a result of beer before the game and weak bladder (although it was my dad this time)

No point asking if that's ok with yiu as it clearly isn't, but I'm ok with that.

Your point has been duly noted and will no doubt remain summarily ignored.

I look forward to our next debate about this, but figure thats pretty much brought this one to its conclusion (for now)

"Kind regards" 🤣😘🤘

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Houdini Logic said:

What a ridiculous question. People go to watch their team and (hopefully) get personal enjoyment.

It's not up to you to determine how they should support their team or live their lives. Live and let live.

Funny that people didn't seem to leave early during the 2015/16 season. Maybe out already poor fanbase has become a little complacent. I guess winning the Champions League would be the only thing to get supporters to stay for a full game, cos doing well in the Premier League, been there, done that, right?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

But that’s up to them, why does it matter to people why others don’t. The majority stay. If we want to apply this principle, the players must be so disheartened when we play a league cup tie against lower league sides (Fleetwood for example) and only one stand has been opened by the club. People will actively choose not to go to that because they can’t sit where they normally sit and it’s only Fleetwood. This leaving early will always happen, bitching and whining about it won’t change it. Enjoy the game how you want to enjoy it! 

19 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Funny that people didn't seem to leave early during the 2015/16 season. Maybe out already poor fanbase has become a little complacent. I guess winning the Champions League would be the only thing to get supporters to stay for a full game, cos doing well in the Premier League, been there, done that, right?

This is getting ridiculous now, anybody would think the players were left playing in front of an empty stadium at the end of every game the way some are going on, it’s a minority in my opinion and not worth getting your knickers in a twist over, it’s always happened even back in the O’Neil era, it’ll never change.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I get both sides of this argument. I get people have commitments and Sky decimating our fixture list makes it hard for people. I'm also conscious that it must be absolutely shit for Brendan and the lads to have just secured our biggest ever PL win and to look around and see the place two thirds full at the final whistle. 

Yep. 

Everyone has different circumstances and plenty will need to leave early, but I doubt that we have 15,000 far-flung and/or incontinent fans. Brendan and the lads deserve a bit more from us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, What the Fuchs? said:

People certainly did leave early that season especially early on, Dyers Winner against Villa was missed by a load of people 

what amazed me the most that season was people leaving with 5 mins to go against Everton and missing the trophy being lifted 

• Like 1

What's embarrassing is our home and away support quite frankly.

If you went to Wimbledon would you leave before the final game just to 'avoid traffic'? How about leaving the cinema before the conclusion of the film? I don't know why people spend the money on a ticket if they're not interested enough in the game to see it through, those missed minutes (and inevitably goals) add up, as someone above has said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

If you went to Wimbledon would you leave before the final game just to 'avoid traffic'? How about leaving the cinema before the conclusion of the film? I don't know why people spend the money on a ticket if they're not interested enough in the game to see it through, those missed minutes (and inevitably goals) add up, as someone above has said.

...said the guy who admitted on the first page that he watched the match on Sky

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

Next home game we should just have a competition to find the biggest fan we have. Last fan in the ground applauding wins. 

When Whattheschlupp has been in there 3 days solid he can rightly come on here and point out every other fan is plastic compared to him. Problem solved. 

I think you’ve somehow managed to both miss and prove my point.

its not not a competition about who is the best fan, it’s about trying to work out why you all think it’s normal and perfectly acceptable to leave after a 5-0 thumping, in similar numbers to if we had lost 5-0. 

You've proved my point that leaving early no matter the result is normalised and anyone who thinks it’s embarrassing after such an amazing game and result is unreasonable. 

If any of you were present at any other pl game away and we’d lost 5-0, you know the stadium would be full still at the final whistle, to applaude the efforts of the players.

Our home support is demonstrably a joke given the amount of people that leave after such a great game, and it’s even more clear how bad our support is that the vast majority seemingly would rather criticise someone for questioning the situation rather than the culprits. At what point would people stay and applaude the players, if we score 6, 7 8 or even more?

If people don’t think it’s embarrassing to have a half full stadium after a 5-0 win when that would not be the case with any other team, frankly you should take a look at yourself.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

its not not a competition about who is the best fan, it’s about trying to work out why you all think it’s normal and perfectly acceptable to leave after a 5-0 thumping, in similar numbers to if we had lost 5-0. 

You've proved my point that leaving early no matter the result is normalised and anyone who thinks it’s embarrassing after such an amazing game and result is unreasonable. 

If any of you were present at any other pl game away and we’d lost 5-0, you know the stadium would be full still at the final whistle, to applaude the efforts of the players.

Our home support is demonstrably a joke given the amount of people that leave after such a great game, and it’s even more clear how bad our support is that the vast majority seemingly would rather criticise someone for questioning the situation rather than the culprits. At what point would people stay and applaude the players, if we score 6, 7 8 or even more?

If people don’t think it’s embarrassing to have a half full stadium after a 5-0 win when that would not be the case with any other team, frankly you should take a look at yourself.

Until the ticket comes with a binding contract, I'll leave when I like, without judgement or hectoring from you. 

7 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

I think the point you seem to be missing is that you are not the arbiter of what is normal and perfectly acceptable.

if you want to feel embarrassed, that's up to you. Others clearly don't. You don't get to tell them they should feel otherwise.

• Like 1

couldnt care less if people leave early, i'm sure they have their reasons.

BUT if you are the person in SK3 that makes there way to the bottom of the stairs and stands clapping blocking everyone else from leaving. Do us all a favour and stay in your seat to do it, its the same guy (and i think his Mrs). I admire your dedication to clap everyone off but you're in the way jsut clap in your seat. The players cant see you / hear you any better at the bottom of the stairs.

2 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Until the ticket comes with a binding contract, I'll leave when I like, without judgement or hectoring from you. 

In my original post I correctly predicted people would say, ‘I paid so I’ll leave when I want thanks’

Thats all well and good, but you can’t deny it’s embarrassing given the result on Sunday.

if I ever saw other fans leave, whether we were away or at home, the way you all do after any victory let alone a massive one I would quite rightfully take the piss as would most Leicester fans. 

Bet the Newcastle fans couldn’t believe their eyes. Fans of other clubs often comment on how bad our support is and I’m inclined to agree based on what I’ve seen and most of your responses to this thread.

28 minutes ago, What the Fuchs? said:

loads of people leave literally every "event" early, every day. the evening games at wimbledon are pretty much always less than half full. people get off from days at the cricket at tea if it's not very exciting. people leave gigs to go for a piss then head into town if they're already seen their favourite songs. 

stop being a weirdo and just ignore it, it couldn't have had any less of an affect on your life. 

• Like 1