Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
WhatTheSchlupp?

People leaving early when we are 4 or 5 nil up

10 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

So you stay to the end but don’t care if people leave after a win. Would you not agree then that there is something seriously wrong with the game and the mentality of our fans where pride in your team, joy at having your biggest pl win ever, and appreciation of the efforts of one of our best sides in recent years who are in 3rd place, are bettered by a desire to get to the car a few minutes early? 

We go to the football for fun, to support our local team, because we love our club, but I just think it’s sad people view it as a chore to tick off that weeks checklist. 

We go to the football for enjoyment, so when it’s been a great game, celebrate and enjoy it! I travel 3 hours each way to get to games and the guy I sit with has a train to catch, yet both of us don’t rush off to beat the traffic.

i am in no way saying I’m a better fan which I’m sure someone would have been quick to accuse me off. I’m just saying the mentality of many of our supporters who obviously value sitting in a non-moving queue of traffic listening to stringer et al after the game above soaking up the moment and celebrating it with our team and fellow fans is all wrong.

No. I'm saying that although I know what you're driving at (and I appreciate that you're not resorting to abuse), I was once 23, I remember it well, but I'm now 49, many of those that attend are older, and believe me, as you get older you gain commitments and priorities. I'm pleased for you that you want to stay until the end, that's great. If your point is a societal one, then you also have my ear, but this really isn't the place for a sociological debate.

It took me a long time to realise that making an argument based on shoulds and oughts is fraught with difficulties. Yes, of course, the team deserve plaudits for smashing Newcastle 5-0. However, life isn't perfect, and people gave great support during the game. I'm trying not to patronise you because goodness knows we need youthful enthusiasm in our fanbase. I'm encouraging you to imagine that quite a lot of people might have lives and/or needs more complex than yours currently are.

Edited by HighPeakFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As I've said before I don't begrudge people leaving ever so slightly before the end, we do from time to time especially midweek games.

What really ****s me off is the amount of people who arrive late nowadays. Yes everyone can get stuck in traffic or happen to them now and again but it's the same people around where we sit time and time again.

And the same people get up at 40 mins to beat the half time rush for food. Ridiculous that is for me. 

If you look around the stadium around 40 mins especially during a break in play, there are hundreds of people getting up and leaving.

At Luton, there was one tosser on our row who must have got up and left and returned a total of five times. Ridiculous

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

No, we do happen to know each other though if that matters, and I think we both agree re matters involving our support or lack of it.

Lack of support? :doh:

You should really be a politician, you're doing a great job at ignoring anyone with a differing opinion and ignoring valid reasoning. 

• Haha 1

i can understand some people leave early tbh, as some might have further to travel, work or other commitments etc that they need to attend to after the game and being caught in traffic wont help that,

imo there are alot more annoying things that people leaving say 10/15mins early.....

....like people who get pissed and watch the game(whats the point) and ones who getting up loads of time during the game t head downstairs

50 minutes ago, old koppite said:

Why is it ridiculous though? It’s a good point. Not as many left before the end in the Prem winning season as do now ( and not just our club- please don’t ask me to quote figures!). 

We get our knickers in a twist partly because we believe it makes our club look tinpot. Some people on here just have lame excuses. 

If I had the privilege and skill to be a pro footballer, what would really make my game complete would be see my club’s  fans staying to the end and clapping me off after the whistle. Wonder how much better Will would have felt if they stadium had been full when he scored his goal, and belted  out his song? I’m old fashioned and naive, but still like to think those little things will sometimes help persuade a player to stay with us if they perceive we’re a special club (ala JV maybe?). I know, some of you will scoff, and say modern players don’t give a.....

It’s ridiculous to use the premiership winning season in comparison to now, fans will always stay when there’s something at stake, I wonder if fans were leaving early in the first few home games of the title winning season? I can’t remember but I’m sure as this season goes on there’ll be less people leaving early should we stay in the top four, and it’s not just about being successful, when something is at stake fans stay, the home game vs Oxford when Tony James scored and we stayed up, people stayed and it was one of 2 occasions I got on the Filbert St pitch. 

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I was there the day we beat Pompey 10-nil in October 1928 and can confirm a lot of fans left early to avoid getting stuck in a penny farthing jam on Walnut Street.

And they had to because they needed to "send t'kids up chimney before dark"

Also on their departure they were all moaning about Channy missing a stack of chances in between his six goals that day ("Flat track bully" "Get rid" "he should've scored 10 'imself")

And many bemoaned how Filbert Street would have a better atmosphere if they swapped the Kop and Family Stand.

They were also blaming our Scottish boss Willie Orr for not speaking the Queen's English. "He should use words like 'qualiteh, intensiteh, mentaliteh' in the Leicester dialect only" 

And when the fans got home they wrote furiously to the evening newspaper, using their finest quill pens, to say it was better in the old days and "yer won't win owt w'kids."

I remember that match very well. My flat cap was never the same after a swan crapped on it.

• Haha 1

My opinion is that I personally would never choose to leave early unless it was absolutely necessary. I’ve payed for a ticket for the entire football match and until the entertainment (or distinct lack of on some occasions) is complete then I think it’s bad value for money to not stay until the climax. But that is just my opinion on what I want to do.

I also understand that everyone else is entitled to do what they want unless they’re getting in the way others so this matter doesn’t annoy me as much as others on here.

Although I must say I really don’t understand fans who stand about in the pub or the concourse for an extra pint and then rock up 20 minutes late blocking everyone’s view without a care in the world. They’ve missed a quarter of what they’ve payed their own money to witness! But again each to their own

4 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s ridiculous to use the premiership winning season in comparison to now, fans will always stay when there’s something at stake, I wonder if fans were leaving early in the first few home games of the title winning season? I can’t remember but I’m sure as this season goes on there’ll be less people leaving early should we stay in the top four, and it’s not just about being successful, when something is at stake fans stay, the home game vs Oxford when Tony James scored and we stayed up, people stayed and it was one of 2 occasions I got on the Filbert St pitch. 

I don’t think it is, because I believe we are seeing a trend of football supporters doing it across the country, but in the title winning season I recall fewer left early because we had continued the great run from the great escape, during which the fantastic support at home started. I remember the Villa game was very exciting and tense- can’t remember seeing many people leaving early.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens as the season progresses. I predict that no matter how successful we are in the league or cups, we will still see noticeably large numbers leaving before the end. It’s becoming the mindset of a significant number of fans, sadly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TamworthFoxes said:

I leave every game 2 minutes before the end so I can get round to the away end and start fights with the away fans leaving. You people that stay and clap the team off are not real fans. You are letting me and the team down as I get little or no back up every week. A little support next game would be appreciated. You are not helping our off the field reputation politely clapping the team in your seat while I’m getting the shit kicked out of me by their real fans.

Ran out of reactions but this made me laugh 😂 Sounds like the Baby Squad needs some new recruits, maybe put an ad in the next program, try and get big Cags to come help out?

I agree with the sentiment but you ain't ever changing it so just don't stress about it and remember, you're better than those people. 

look at yourself in the mirror every morning and feel tip top that you stay til the end and those people are only a fraction of the fan you are.

a mere spec of dust on the dizzying chart of football fandom

It winds me up something chronic. I can't even laugh about it. Every game now, on about 37 and 88 mins, streams of people leaving. You're missing 10% of what you paid for and usually the best bits. I'm sure I sure Rodgers looking around on about 89 mins thinking "wtf is this?". So annoying. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sdb said:

It winds me up something chronic. I can't even laugh about it. Every game now, on about 37 and 88 mins, streams of people leaving. You're missing 10% of what you paid for and usually the best bits. I'm sure I sure Rodgers looking around on about 89 mins thinking "wtf is this?". So annoying. 

you must remember, the most important part of the football is the supremely high standard pies and warm piss in a cup they call beer

the kicking of the small round leather thing is merely a time-waste between the opportunity to eat pie, drink beer and walk back to your car quicker than anyone else

• Haha 1