Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Guest An Sionnach

He seemed much happier today , wing back is his best position and he will get better at it . He probably will have to play in a back four again but if he does then Hamza will need to be in the side as well.

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Now that's a tad OTT

Chilwell is a good LB, a very good one but world class??? 

People forget that he's only 23 years old and still has room for improvement, but it fair to say his delivery is not his strong point. 

I’m pretty sure he would fetch serious money in the transfer market - based upon the opinion of elite coaches and scouts.

1 minute ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I’m pretty sure he would fetch serious money in the transfer market - based upon the opinion of elite coaches and scouts.

True, but he woudn't be leaving mid season. Our problem is finding a replacement - there aren't many quality left backs around. Suggestions?

On 27/12/2019 at 17:09, reynard said:

He's the first choice England left back. He has his faults but we would struggle to find a better left back. Fuchs for all his great service is not the future. Yes Chilwell has some faults but he's still got time to improve.

On 27/12/2019 at 20:44, Aus Fox said:

I can’t believe after the last couple of seasons this still gets thrown around. He has made huge improvements in this area.

On 27/12/2019 at 19:55, HankMarvin said:

A tad OTT

Not really. Being Englands 1st choice means nothing. Theres plenty of other nations out there.

He has improved his fitness granted but his end product is still woeful. How many assists does he have to his name. And it took him 2 attempts to score in a 9 nil win.

TTA cant defend for shit either but at least he offers something at the other end.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

He would, but only because he's young and english, not because he's world class. On that basis he must be better than Ricardo (he's not) because the rumours only value him at £30million and on the same point Maguire is also world class............

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I struggle to understand threads that go this way .....

we have a player who some of the best coaches in world football want (eg. klopp and pep) but posters on FT think he’s not up to it .....

Wheres this evidence?

Just because klopps former assistant recommended him 3 or 4 years ago. We assume that's true. Andy Robertson is a twat of the highest order. But he's clearly right of this moment a better footballer than Chilwell. Apparently Steve Walsh wanted Harry at Everton. He looks great playing for the self proclaimed biggest club in the world right now doesn't he.

And I'm yet to see any firm evidence Pep wants him. I mean he's stuck with Mendy through all his injury problems. And even plays Zincenko there. Yet never put any bid on the table for Chilwell.

Yes he clearly has talent, his left leg his so much better than mine. Mind you my right foot is better than his. He's an athlete yes.

He's improved in the last 12 months yes. But honestly if a player that gets caught out, defensively, and can't deliever crosses consistently is the best we have to offer as a nation I really do worry.

I accept LB is one of the hardest positions to replace. But the club have actively been looking for at least 18 months. Not sure if rodgers arrival has changed that position. But he won't be around for ever and a bit like Harry when he goes for silly money to a top draw side. We will look back 6 months later and he will have been found out unfortunately.

He will end up a millionaire due to his hard work and endeavour, but he's not exactly a modern day Roberto Carlos. 

As fans we observe games and he's not immune to criticism. 

Rodgers proclaims to be one for developing players, I'd love to know if chilwell stays behind and spends time with his bromance Madders and Fuchs and works in his final ball. If he doesn't he should and if he does, hopefully it bears fruit.

But like Harry I see him being the next big sale but we wont miss him if we recruit correctly.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

Harry Maguire did also, but I'm sure we can all agree he's not even close to being world class. 

• Like 3

Guest An Sionnach

Andy Robertson is World class , Ben is certainly  not as good as he is but as he becomes more experienced he should erase most of his weaknesses . In the meantime he can become a very effective wing back for us . He needs to make full use of his attacking instincts and back himself to beat defenders.If he does our wide left problems should be largely cured.

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Harry Maguire did also, but I'm sure we can all agree he's not even close to being world class. 

This is the same conversation I had about Mahrez with various posters. I think Chilwell is a superb player as do the England selectors and Rodgers. World class was probably a daft choice of term as it is impossible to define, but trust me Chilwell will only leave us for one of the so called big 6 or a European Titan. If you disagree then fine.

2 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

This is the same conversation I had about Mahrez with various posters. I think Chilwell is a superb player as do the England selectors and Rodgers. World class was probably a daft choice of term as it is impossible to define, but trust me Chilwell will only leave us for one of the so called big 6 or a European Titan. If you disagree then fine.

Well even I'd conceded that. He's hardly gonna leave us for West Brom.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I’m unable to give you solid evidence but both pep and klopp have enquired about his availability, admittedly, klopp was a few years ago ...

Legit love to know how you know Pep did. 

Paper talk? Seen it on $ky sports. Or did I miss Pep making a direct quote. Stand corrected if I did.

• Like 2

Just now, Bayfox said:

Well even I'd conceded that. He's hardly gonna leave us for West Brom.

So we have a player who is an England international and would be a target for the largest clubs in Europe....and I responded to an absurd post saying his end product is a ‘disgrace’ it’s clear this kind of overly negative comment is pointless in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I don't, but then he's hardly likely to leave for Watford is he. So it's not exactly a big call. 

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, AylestoneRaider said:

So we have a player who is an England international and would be a target for the largest clubs in Europe....and I responded to an absurd post saying his end product is a ‘disgrace’ it’s clear this kind of overly negative comment is pointless in my opinion. 

I never assess a player on international recognition because the standard is so poor , but in truth he has very little competition for that position. As much as I dislike the bloke you have to judge Chilwell by the Ashley Cole standard among English players.

9 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I never said it was a disgrace I said it needed work. I also accept that he may only leave us for a so called big club, but if you were sat scouting him what would your reports say. 

Gets up and down the pitch, has great energy. Often found wanting defensively, such as sending Mahrez inside over and over again.  And lacks end product going the other way. Often panics, cuts back onto his weak foot, over hits crosses and lacks conviction.

If I'm wrong please let me know what I'm missing. I reckon he's probably up there in the top lbs in the league right now. But his competition is poor. Other than Robertson, you are talking, mendy, shaw, vertonghen is playing lb for spurs, the lad at arsenal cant defend either. Alonso gets slated at Chelsea.

Edited by Bayfox
  • Like 1

Chilwell is not world class, and of story. It's not even an argument, just because a big club wants you, it doesn't make you world class. 

He's a very decent player, but being English makes it more likely to get a big move because they all want decent English players to meet the quotas. If he was Spanish, would there be as much interest. Probably not. 

• Like 2