Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Guest An Sionnach
On 02/01/2020 at 23:03, FLAN said:

Matt Elliott describes him perfectly. Split the pitch into 5 sections and he’s great in the middle 3. In the final parts each end is where he is weak 

There is a serious misunderstanding here that I do not rate Chilwell , any slightly critical comment and the Ben Chilwell Appreciation Society are out in force. He is the epitome of a "curate's egg" player so he divides opinion perfectly. All I say is that we use his strengths and avoid exposing his weaknesses. Against West Ham ( with a back three) and Newcastle ( two DMs) he played pretty well and looked comfortable and our left hand side was solid. I am pretty sure Rodgers would have made a strong note of that. I watched the Wigan game ( once again two Dms) and Hamza covered any attempt to cut in against him no doubt under instruction. I have to say though that I never saw him use his right foot at all and that has got to be fixed asap.

I do rate him and he is not England first choice LB for no reason. But can someone please coach him on how to use his right foot? Time and again, he makes a great run but if he gets turned back he has no option but to go backwards as he does not seem capable of using his right to whip in a cross or play a Crossfield ball and this often leads to us losing momentum.  As for cutting in and shooting it just ain't gonna happen (albeit that is really Barnes/Albrighton/Gray's job).

Also, I know it is a knack but I would have thought that we would have had Fuchs coaching our full backs on long throw techniques as, if used sparingly, this can be a useful weapon.

Despite the above, he is still one the best attacking left backs in the league and an integral part of what we are trying to build. Even if Fuchs signs up for another year we really cannot afford to lose him just yet.

33 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I do rate him and he is not England first choice LB for no reason. But can someone please coach him on how to use his right foot? Time and again, he makes a great run but if he gets turned back he has no option but to go backwards as he does not seem capable of using his right to whip in a cross or play a Crossfield ball and this often leads to us losing momentum.  As for cutting in and shooting it just ain't gonna happen (albeit that is really Barnes/Albrighton/Gray's job).

Also, I know it is a knack but I would have thought that we would have had Fuchs coaching our full backs on long throw techniques as, if used sparingly, this can be a useful weapon.

Despite the above, he is still one the best attacking left backs in the league and an integral part of what we are trying to build. Even if Fuchs signs up for another year we really cannot afford to lose him just yet.

No issue with his lack of a right foot, my only issue is that he can’t ever deliver a telling ball. His build up play and ability to get into the final third either through dribbling or movement is fantastic, it’s been just a shame he can’t cross a ball to save his life.

• Like 2

Just now, TJB-fox said:

No issue with his lack of a right foot, my only issue is that he can’t ever deliver a telling ball. His build up play and ability to get into the final third either through dribbling or movement is fantastic, it’s been just a shame he can’t cross a ball to save his life.

Thought the ball for Perez to get his hatrick at Saints was a thing of beauty if I am honest

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

There is a serious misunderstanding here that I do not rate Chilwell , any slightly critical comment and the Ben Chilwell Appreciation Society are out in force. He is the epitome of a "curate's egg" player so he divides opinion perfectly. All I say is that we use his strengths and avoid exposing his weaknesses. Against West Ham ( with a back three) and Newcastle ( two DMs) he played pretty well and looked comfortable and our left hand side was solid. I am pretty sure Rodgers would have made a strong note of that. I watched the Wigan game ( once again two Dms) and Hamza covered any attempt to cut in against him no doubt under instruction. I have to say though that I never saw him use his right foot at all and that has got to be fixed asap.

:rolleyes:

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach
49 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

Sorry but the lack of a right foot in a pro. footballer is not good enough, maybe an attacker can get away with being one footed but not a defender. Everybody has a stronger side but you work on the other until you are confident in using it .Hudson Odoi ( who is younger than Chilwell) is very capable with either foot so there are no excuses.

Edited by An Sionnach

2 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Sorry but the lack of a right foot in a pro. footballer is not good enough, maybe an attacker can get away with being one footed but not a defender. Everybody has a stronger side but you work on the other until you are confident in using it .Hudson Odoi ( who is younger than Chilwell) is very capable with either foot so there are no excuses.

Tell that to arjen robben or Gareth bale. Chilwell is fine. Hudson odoi?

What a great comparison with a totally irrelevant winger who plays for another club in another position. 

Edited by TJB-fox

Chilwell is a good player, a very good player, but he is still young and still has a lot to learn. Doesn't bother me that much that he doesn't have a right foot. 

I've read comments about him being our weakness as shown against Man City. That's not the case, the weakness came from lack of cover. He was left with no choice but to tuck in and mark KDB in that game. My only gripe with him from that game was showing Mahrez inside onto his much stronger left foot. 

We all can see his delivery needs work, other than that he's a great left back 

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Chilwell is a good player, a very good player, but he is still young and still has a lot to learn. Doesn't bother me that much that he doesn't have a right foot. 

I've read comments about him being our weakness as shown against Man City. That's not the case, the weakness came from lack of cover. He was left with no choice but to tuck in and mark KDB in that game. My only gripe with him from that game was showing Mahrez inside onto his much stronger left foot. 

Nobody ever says Pereira suffered from lack of cover, or that he is one-footed or that his delivery is poor . If you were an opposing manager which side would you target eh?

27 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Nobody ever says Pereira suffered from lack of cover, or that he is one-footed or that his delivery is poor . If you were an opposing manager which side would you target eh?

If Pereira is where the bar is then there are only a couple of good full backs in the world.

Guest An Sionnach
8 minutes ago, Foxymcoxy said:

If Pereira is where the bar is then there are only a couple of good full backs in the world.

When you have players as good as Pereira, Evans and Soyuncu that is indeed where the bar is.

My big concern with Chilwell is that he rarely tries to get out to the oppositions winger and stop the crosses coming in, he almost looks lazy the way that he strolls over rather than sprinting to close them down. Several times this season the opposition right winger has had time to pick his target and not only the Man City and Liverpool matches, the Everton goal came from the same thing. I’ve been impressed with how much Chilwell has improved and seems to be proving me wrong but he has to improve this side of his game. 

16 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

When you have players as good as Pereira, Evans and Soyuncu that is indeed where the bar is.

There’s not actually that many good left backs out there though. Who is better in the Premier League? Robertson, that’s it.

So if Chilwell is so crap, bearing in mind he’s England’s first choice LB, still only 23 and still improving, who would you have instead of him?

Yep, still waiting......

So ok, he could do with working on his right foot. But he’s supplied a number of assists this season both for Leicester and England, is getting better defensively, and is always a menace going forward. Yes, he got turned inside out by Mahrez a couple of weeks ago, but many international/world class defenders have been.  We have to remember he’s still a young player who is developing.

Once again guys, let’s support our own

Edited by car1os
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, car1os said:

So if Chilwell is so crap, bearing in mind he’s England’s first choice LB, still only 23 and still improving, who would you have instead of him?

Yep, still waiting......

So ok, he could do with working on his right foot. But he’s supplied a number of assists this season both for Leicester and England, is getting better defensively, and is always a menace going forward. Yes, he got turned inside out by Mahrez a couple of weeks ago, but many international/world class defenders have been.  We have to remember he’s still a young player who is developing.

They'd non-ironically still have Fuchs as 1st choice every game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

A left back who simply cannot defend though. That is where the work needs to be done.

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, car1os said:

Yep, still waiting......

Chilwell is certainly not crap and many parts of his game are very good . He is a heads up player always looking to make an effective pass, he runs beautifully with the ball and is good in the air. He has improved his awareness and reading of the game. However the weaker parts of his game are open to exploitation and my point is at this moment in time they need cover. Expecting support from a winger is not working for us because we do not have experienced wide attackers bar Mark , who is certainly good in defence but is less effective going forward. So with a back three Chilwell is much less likely to be exposed , however Rodgers prefers two at the back so the other viable option is to play Hamza who offers both cover to Chilwell and much else beside. Where does that leave Tielmans though is the problem.

Ben is the best left back we currently have on our books, and that is enough for now.

However, he needs to beware, he has scope for improvement and he needs to ensure he does not waste the opportunity.

Alex Stewart from the Tifo Podcast was discussing that by every conceivable metric, TAA is BY FAR the best right back in Europe.

This type of recognition is what should be aspiring too.

Also, I am sorry, but he 100% HAS to improve his right foot - he doesn’t need to be amazing with it, but Christ, I sometimes get the feeling he can barely walk on it.

22 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Chilwell is certainly not crap and many parts of his game are very good . He is a heads up player always looking to make an effective pass, he runs beautifully with the ball and is good in the air. He has improved his awareness and reading of the game. However the weaker parts of his game are open to exploitation and my point is at this moment in time they need cover. Expecting support from a winger is not working for us because we do not have experienced wide attackers bar Mark , who is certainly good in defence but is less effective going forward. So with a back three Chilwell is much less likely to be exposed , however Rodgers prefers two at the back so the other viable option is to play Hamza who offers both cover to Chilwell and much else beside. Where does that leave Tielmans though is the problem.

Why are those the only two viable options when the third option i.e. a back four with one holding midfielder has seen us to second in the league?

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
11 minutes ago, Guest said:

Why are those the only two viable options when the third option i.e. a back four with one holding midfielder has seen us to second in the league?

True but then we had Norwich ,Man. City and Liverpool and in the last three matches Rodgers has changed his thinking.

Edited by An Sionnach

For all the criticism of Chilwell’s defending, surely this is at least in part due to our style of play? 

Our defence (baring the obvious matches against Man City and Liverpool) has been outstanding all season, thanks to two very impressive centre backs. As a result, the fullbacks have been left to attack which is always going to lead to extra vulnerability at the back. While Fuchs may offer a more defensive option, he was at fault for the West Ham goal and I don’t think anyone will be comparing the talents of that side to those of Riyad Mahrez.

Yes, Ricardo manages to do both with ease but I think even we underestimate just how good he is at times. If that is the bar for a good fullback we may as well scrap the position now.