Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ian Holloway makes honest admission about his ill-fated spell as Leicester City manager

He was an awful manager as can be seen with his managerial record in general. He is too much of the class clown with his TV appearances and unique opinions and philosophy of life. 

Talks a good game and that's enough to get you a job sometimes but sooner or later you get found out, and he did. 

4 minutes ago, somebum said:

He was an awful manager as can be seen with his managerial record in general. He is too much of the class clown with his TV appearances and unique opinions and philosophy of life. 

Talks a good game and that's enough to get you a job sometimes but sooner or later you get found out, and he did. 

2 promotions to the Premier League with Blackpool and Palace (not exactly big clubs). 

He's not a PL manager but he's done well in the Championship tbf.

• Like 1

Guest Eamonn

Yeah he's made a good career out of successive failures. In this country you get feted for arrogancd and having a loud mouth . Why is anybody interested in anything he has to say?

36 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

The weekend before the Stoke game was the final nail in the coffin. Getting absolutely humiliated at home by Sheffield Wednesday and we were lucky it wasn't more than 3-1. Leon Clarke lobbing the third when he was about 24 stone along the way.

Enabled them to climb out of the relegation zone and meant that we ultimately needed to win, away from home, against one of the best sides in the division. I of course wouldn't change what's happened since then for the world, but, and as fun as that season was, I still hate the fact we were in League 1.  

Kisnorbo went off injured and that was us down. 

Either way, Harry Worley in central midfield was a wildcard whilst needing a win

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Kisnorbo went off injured and that was us down. 

Either way, Harry Worley in central midfield was a wildcard whilst needing a win

Yeah remember that well, I thought we'd survive right up until the end of that Wednesday game but felt so deflated and inevitable after that. I went to Stoke more in hope than any expectation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

He's right in a way, we were circling a drain at the time. Whether it was him or someone else, we were going down at some point. Look at that squad... jesus. 

Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 10.16.24.png

Collins John hahaha. He actually got 2 caps for Netherlands. ****ing hell.

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He's right in a way, we were circling a drain at the time. Whether it was him or someone else, we were going down at some point. Look at that squad... jesus. 

Wowsers. 

We did worship Fryatt and Hume, though. 

Holloway wasn’t completely void of blame. He made some strange decisions which added to the years of mistakes of his predecessors.

Back then, we accumulated a squad of weak minded players. It’s testament to our recruitment now and essentially since Pearson and Walsh were in charge (except for 18 months when Sven was in charge) that our recruitment doesn’t just concentrate on talent but the mental fortitude of the players we bring in. Yes, there have been mistakes, there always are but the vast majority that have been brought in since 2008 are guys you want in a battle - the best example is how we came back after the Watford play-off which was never easy. 

Back then, we really had players who would give up at the first hurdle. Some were decent players but no one who could really carry the team. It’s never a good thing to go down but the club needed to hit rock bottom and re-asses it’s approach to progress. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

He spent over 2Mill on Steve Howard, Matt Oakley in January

1 hour ago, Koke said:

He cant have been a bad manager as he took both Blackpool and Palace up to the Premier League. 

He cant fully absolve himself. He went to Stoke for a draw. Granted it was a high flying Stoke side on the brink of promotion. 

Looking back on the sausd the only players I can assume he wanted rid of are Bruno N'Gotti and/or Stephen Clemence. They were senior players on high wages and they weren't contributing on the pitch.

...he thought he had struck it lucky when he got the job!!!

He was cocky, arrogant to the point of being rude. His constant chirping at interviewers that they are being too negative.."we are not going down"..."there are far too much negativity around this place".

He never set the team up to perform, he just thought his blarney would galvanise the players to perform, the only time he appeared concerned was the last game where he attempted to set us up and it felt that he actually cared. We have all seen the pictures of him apparently distraught after the game but I felt it was just for show as he did not give a hoot about the poor results that were being played out week after week.

I dislike the bloke, his fake joviality and poor attitude in the job. If he really was that good, where is he now!!!!!

2 hours ago, Langston said:

He's passing the buck, no doubt we were crap, but we had enough to stay up that season and his tactical ****ing buffoonery at the Britannia was atypical of his time with us. The worst manager we've ever had in my opinion.

I think you might mean it was typical - I can't remember him being a tactical mastermind the rest of the time.

I'm still a bit annoyed that we can't say we've never been outside the top two divisions, but I know that if it was possible to go back and change anything, we almost certainly wouldn't be enjoying the most successful era in the history of the club now.

• Like 1

Had we scored we would sent Coventry down to League One. This is why you should cherish and enjoy our football atm. We may be 16th in the Championship in the year 2035 whilst Coventry are chasing a Champions League spot

For all the people, knocking Holloway now and at the time, and I was one of those. The club was rotten, in much the same way as Sunderland and probably Leeds, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom and let the realisation that thing need to change and you have to take you medicine. 

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Both actually turn out to be good signings in the long run to be fair.

Yes they did but doesn't that say a lot about Holloway's ability to get the best out of players.

I remember when we were dropping like a stone he still had time to do a weekly comedy (well what he thought it was funny) article for the BBC. 

We'd have fallen to new depths and then you'd find a new article appear called "Bubble bath and cake mix, my take on the weeks football" or something like that. 

It made me so angry that he was using his time to do that rather than fixing the club that was rotten to the core, to be fair, I don't think there was much that could have be done - although a Nigel Pearson military setup would have been a start. 

2 hours ago, davieG said:

Maybe he just wasn't good enough, were we were too big for him, Pearson managed to turn us around and do the job he couldn't even with Mandaric still there what's to say he couldn't have done that if we had stayed up.

but then we wouldn't have such great memories of losing at the Withdean (on particularly wobbly scaffold) or beating Carlisle away!

• Like 1