Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ian Holloway makes honest admission about his ill-fated spell as Leicester City manager

12 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I remember when we were dropping like a stone he still had time to do a weekly comedy (well what he thought it was funny) article for the BBC. 

We'd have fallen to new depths and then you'd find a new article appear called "Bubble bath and cake mix, my take on the weeks football" or something like that. 

It made me so angry that he was using his time to do that rather than fixing the club that was rotten to the core, to be fair, I don't think there was much that could have be done - although a Nigel Pearson military setup would have been a start. 

Don'd disagree with that.  he did always seem more like a full time comedian masquerading as a football manager

1 hour ago, lifted*fox said:

a total media clown, the complete opposite of a Nigel Pearson type - hence his failure and Pearson's success. 

Promotions to the premier league: Holloway 2 Pearson 1. He might be a media clown, but he's been pretty successful at times.

9 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

That’s at the start of the season. He brought in a fair few players in January

I know... it just highlights the fact we were a bloody mess. He certainly isn't blameless, but woeful decision making from the top was to blame more than him IMO. Our scattergun approach was a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Babylon

3 hours ago, davieG said:

He can't totally absolve himself.

When he joined us we were around 15th by the end of the season we were 22nd

He bought or loaned in 12 players spending over £2mill.

I agree but we were Dead meat when he took over...the attitude was far too arrogant from avg-players..!!

3 hours ago, Beliall said:

Image result for peter taylor

I expected this and it's flip of a coin stuff, but Holloway takes it by virtue of taking us to the third tier, he had half a year to sort it out and was utterly out if his depth and had nothing to offer but the odd funny analogy which I'm sure would've been hilarious had we not been abject shit.

27 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I agree but we were Dead meat when he took over...the attitude was far too arrogant from avg-players..!!

We were 15th when he took over, Pearson manage to sort out the players and he still had Mandaric to deal with so that's no excuse either.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koke said:

He cant have been a bad manager as he took both Blackpool and Palace up to the Premier League. 

He cant fully absolve himself. He went to Stoke for a draw. Granted it was a high flying Stoke side on the brink of promotion. 

Looking back on the sausd the only players I can assume he wanted rid of are Bruno N'Gotti and/or Stephen Clemence. They were senior players on high wages and they weren't contributing on the pitch.

It was two players that were heavily involved on and off the pitch. There were huge dressing room issues that season which culminated in three managerial sackings. Martin Allen got sacked due to the players, led by a certain centre forward, went to Milan and threatened to strike unless he was sacked. 

4 hours ago, Langston said:

He's passing the buck, no doubt we were crap, but we had enough to stay up that season and his tactical ****ing buffoonery at the Britannia was atypical of his time with us. The worst manager we've ever had in my opinion.

Tactical buffoonery 🤣🤣 now that made me laugh.

4 hours ago, davieG said:

“There were two players in particular that I wanted to get out. I told the chairman that I didn’t want them at the club. It was either me or them.

“He got rid of me.

What he doesnt tell you is that the players were Barry Hayles and Jamie Clapham... 2 players he signed. lol

In fairness, we may well have struggled for promotion the following year without 2 of his signings. Steve Howard and Matt Oakley were exceptional that year and I think part of the reason King settled into our midfield so quickly, was because of playing with someone like Oakley next to him.  

Was he good for us, absolutely not. But there was a reason we were floating around the bottom for so long, our lowest low is what saved our club. Who knows what would have happened if we had survived and continued our cycle of hiring run-of-mill championship managers. I look at a club like Ipswich, who did just this, never ever being able to grow as they spent all their time focusing on surviving in the league... now that theyve been relegated they have the chance to rebuild, to take a gamble on a few players (Such as Norwood) and they will probably be better for it should they return to the championship next season. 

It might be an odd view but for a big club getting relegated can almost be like a season of pre-season... trying a new system, bedding in the young talent that you wouldnt give a go in the championship, signing players that look good but havent proved themselves at a high enough level, all with a lower level of pressure. I can imagine the outrage if a Leeds, Forest or Sunderland fan read this lol 

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

We were 15th when he took over, Pearson manage to sort out the players and he still had Mandaric to deal with so that's no excuse either.

Fair dues...

But it Shows the different strengths of the various managers....Pearson had the character,that was needed, that few others could hold upto.

We  as fans have the Luxury to throw around the critic so easily...and fail to Really understand the task at Hand  in front of the Management teams...

I for One always for Leicester Rated Pearson...others dont...  but he hasnt found that same success After his Leicester career..!!

Has a Leicester manager he Stands high..!!  Holloway has a lower Club manager has been successfull. I wish I could of reached that level!! ( Never tried!!)

God, they were dark times. I remember once we started with 5/6 right backs on the pitch - it was so baffling. Think James Chambers was in central midfield; maybe he was trying to make a point.

No idea who the 2 players were, I always remember hearing rumours back then that Sheehan was a young troublemaker - and of course it didn't end well for Porter. And I forgot all about DJ Campbell till I saw that line-up in a previous post.  

He's not wrong, he took over a complete mess. 

Edited by Guesty

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

He's right in a way, we were circling a drain at the time. Whether it was him or someone else, we were going down at some point. Look at that squad... jesus. 

Screenshot 2019-11-01 at 10.16.24.png

There were definitely worse squads in the division that season though. Fulop, McAuley, Kisnorbo, Stearman, Fryatt (and, you could argue, Campbell and Hume) were all more than capable players in the second tier. That's before adding Steve Howard who'd bagged the best part of twenty goals in the league the season before and Matt Oakley to give the midfield a little more quality.

Granted there was little beyond that bar a glut of average to rubbish players, but I actually think our squad in 05/06 was worse on the face of it.

59 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

him, Taylor and Levien 

You forgot David Pleat, Gary Megson and Frank McLintock!! (Ye Gods, we've had some dreadful managers!)

For me Pleat was the worst manager I've seen at Leicester City and I still switch off the volume if he commentates on any match.

Holloway was just out of his depth, his entertaining and often baffling comments with the media were just a cover for his incompetence as a manager.

• Like 1