Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Sam Allardyce claims he could have signed Jamie Vardy for West Ham in 2011

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I was thinking exactly this. 

He wasnt ready for us in the championship, the premier league would have completely destroyed his confidence. Pearsons greatest achievement at Leicester was probably his man management of Vardy.

So the real story would be, Allardyce could have signed Vardy, never played him and sold him to peterborough. lol

It does make you think though, how many Jamie Vardy's have gone missing because of circumstance. Worthy of a thread of its own. 

The exact reason he has set up his academy to give non league players a chance to receive some expert coaching to develop their skills and smooth out a few rough edges and then put them in the shop window of professional clubs scouts

3 hours ago, Eamonn said:

@Lambert09

Yes that's right. I never bothered turning up when Nugent was getting picked. And I've never even heard of Ulloa.

lol Ulloa who we signed in the premier league? 

Vardy won players player of the year in the Championship, scored loads of goals and won us bucket loads of penalty’s. 

Most city fans knew he was special before we stepped foot in the premier league. 

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Vardy won players player of the year in the Championship, scored loads of goals and won us bucket loads of penalty’s. 

Most city fans knew he was special before we stepped foot in the premier league. 

Really? I don't think most thought he was special. He had a good season 13/14, scoring 16 Championship goals, but plenty of players have managed that and gone on to do nothing afterwards. Even in his first prem season he only scored 5 goals.

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Really? I don't think most thought he was special. He had a good season 13/14, scoring 16 Championship goals, but plenty of players have managed that and gone on to do nothing afterwards. Even in his first prem season he only scored 5 goals.

There was definitely a buzz in the crowd when he came on before he hit his stride in the championship.  Pretty much everyone I knew could see there was something special about him. 

He was just so fast and aggressive and exciting. 

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

There was definitely a buzz in the crowd when he came on before he hit his stride in the championship.  Pretty much everyone I knew could see there was something special about him. 

He was just so fast and aggressive and exciting. 

Hes even faster now..

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

everyone hoped he was going to do something nuts in the prem. the reaction when he came on against arsenal (i think) after being a bit injured at the start of the season was crazy. the promotion season in the championship had quite a lot of people on here talking about him playing for england before we'd even secured a place in the prem. 

TBF I thought it was a forward thinking signing and although I had never heard of him it seemed like a reasonable gamble for the club at that time, but his first few outings were definitely a bit meh.  Yes he was quick but his touch was just not there. he got dropped and most thought that was probably the last we would see of him. We did not know the crisis of confidence he was going through at the time, but he obviously buckled down and then when he came back towards the end of that season he looked so much improved. Obviously Shakey and the rest of the coaching staff had been putting in some time with him, and he is obviously a quick learner.  Next season he was on fire. The same pattern emerged after promotion, again many believing the step up was a bridge too far, apart from the 5-3 against MUFC he was pretty poor. Again he worked on his first touch came back into the side a much improved player and we all know what happened the following season. Each time he stepped up it seemed to take him a while to find his feet, but he obviously has a good footballing brain and understanding of the game as each time he has stuck at it and improved. Under BR he has again adapted his game. Over time he has continually improved and we are reaping the benefit of the belief that the club instilled in him.

Guest Eamonn
13 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

lol Ulloa who we signed in the premier league? 

I said he wasn't the main man until 2015. We signed Ullia in 2014. Ulloa scored more than Vardy in 14/15 and i think played more games. Maybe you shpuld  check your facts before assuming you are right?

I am not cticising Vardy. He is a suoerstar. But i maintain that he was not the main man until 2015. He had a very good season when we went up and scored a lot of goals. Nugent scored more.

It's way too easy to claim you and others thought he was special before we went up. I'd be more impressed if you told me somone was special before they hit the heights rather than after. It's disrespectful too, to Vardy. He's had to work hard to be the star he is. He didn't succeed because he was blessed by some of our fans.

10 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I’m not saying he proved people right(at first), but I and many others expected him to do much better than he did at the start of the prem campaign. 

I can’t be the only person who sabotaged their own fpl season by having him as captain every week 😂

Did I expect him to be as good as he has been? Of course not. But he was the first striker to be excited about since Dickov so naturally I overhyped him. 

34 minutes ago, Eamonn said:

I said he wasn't the main man until 2015. We signed Ullia in 2014. Ulloa scored more than Vardy in 14/15 and i think played more games. Maybe you shpuld  check your facts before assuming you are right?

I am not cticising Vardy. He is a suoerstar. But i maintain that he was not the main man until 2015. He had a very good season when we went up and scored a lot of goals. Nugent scored more.

It's way too easy to claim you and others thought he was special before we went up. I'd be more impressed if you told me somone was special before they hit the heights rather than after. It's disrespectful too, to Vardy. He's had to work hard to be the star he is. He didn't succeed because he was blessed by some of our fans.

It really does depend on your interpretation of “main man” best player, then no. I read your comments as dismissing his performances up to that point, which to me was disrespectful. 

Im not claiming to be an almighty scout that saw talent nobody else did. The whole squad that got promotion felt like something special had been built, I came up with high expectations and was really disappointed with how we started off that first season. But I still think most fans knew we had some special talent in that squad.  Not always correct, Knockaert for one is a real head scratcher, I still can’t comprehend that he didn’t go on to big things. I remember being sat in a French bar telling a bloke to look out for knockaert because he’ll be in the French team soon. Shows what I know. 

Guest Eamonn

Fair enough!

I agree about Knockaert. I was surprised whent another French (ok, Algerian) winger displaced him. I thought Pearson was making a big mistake.

Edited by Eamonn
typo