Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

'Daniel Levy enquired about taking Brendan Rodgers from Leicester'

41 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Just posted this in another thread ...   what say you about this ... 

Been told by an ITK (worked there in a senior role and usually very reliable) that LCFC stopped Levy talking to Brendan but if they had he would have loved to have gone there and was very keen ...   can one of our ITK's please tell me this is defo bolox as its made my bottom lip come out and it won't go back in ...    :(

Is the ITK a Spuds fan, don’t believe them.

5 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

He jumped ship when he was a few months away from creating history at Celtic. Anyone who thinks he would show any loyalty to Leicester is letting their love for the club cloud reality.

But moving on from where we are currently to jump to Spurs would be the SPL equivalent of going from Celtic to Kilmarnock. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

He jumped ship when he was a few months away from creating history at Celtic. Anyone who thinks he would show any loyalty to Leicester is letting their love for the club cloud reality.

Dont think anyone believes he's here because he loves leicester. But it was never about loyalty, it was about the project. There is literally no reason for him to leave at the moment, possibly not even in the summer if he qualifies for the champions league. But if the right opportunity comes up he will go. Genuinely though, our current squad is better than most of the clubs that are looking for a manager, with age on our side and ambitious owners... so taking club-love out of the equation would it be a smart choice to leave us for spurs? 

A huge task already for them to get into the top 4, a unrealistic fan expectation (along with anger towards the decision to let MP go) and a squad that want to jump ship. The only real things they have on us at this moment is the champions league and being a bigger club.  Putting my football manager hat on, theres no way id want that move at this moment. 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2

Just now, Samilktray said:

I think a lot of people may be in for a nasty surprise with Rodgers when another club comes sniffing round him who represent a step up in any way 

Spurs aren’t a step up imo, Manchester City yes if they are interested I can see Rodgers going but the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester United I cannot see why Rodgers would go.

• Haha 1

Second in the league and Rodgers is just dying to go to Spurs.....

The very same club that tried to poach him at Liverpool and his response was something like, that he would destroy his career by going there.

I let someone once throw the good old ITK statement that closed discussion down and my anger at that got me banned for a couple days.

So unless Ziyech is coming I'm thinking people who claim ITK are just trying to win the internet for the day.:appl:Congrats.

I have no doubt that Rodgers has no "loyalty" to a club he has no historical ties to, that he has been working at for 6 months.

I wouldn't be surprised that he would find a job like Spurs a good place to land.

I very much doubt he would in an instant thought Leicester would even contemplate letting him talk to Spurs, nor would he have thought they were in any way doing him a wrong.

Given that, I doubt he would have vocalized in any way that he had a "keen interest" in taking the Spurs job. It is possible a game of Chinese whispers could have led to someone no longer at the club from getting that impression, but I can't see Rodgers walking up to any of the LCFC suits telling them such a thing. Absolutely nothing he could gain from that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

It's not like going to Kilmarnock though is it, I see people saying the same things over and over again, the training ground, the great owners, fantastic young squad, don't get me wrong it's exciting times and all them things are great BUT that still doesn't mean that our manager and most of our players wouldn't go to earn triple their wages with a massive signing on fee. I want us to cement our place in the top 4 as much as anyone and become that big club but it isn't going to be easy and we are going to be stripped of some of our assets, the only real way we can compete is by offering the same wages and that then leaves us incredibly vulnerable in regards to ffp. I just think the current levels of excitement and success are getting people carried away with the reality of the pecking order of football which we simply can't change over a season.

You say that they'll earn more as if Spurs don't have an utterly shit wage policy that's been reported constantly.

That Levy isn't a penny-pinching scrooge who's wage structure has caused player backlash and resentment o the point where 3 out of their back 4 are just waiting for their contracts to end.

As if their need to pay off their stadium isn't affecting the money allowed to be spent. That Mourinho has come out and said he won't buy players in Jan because he wants to work with the players he has rather than Spurs not actually being able to buy players like Poch had been asking to refresh this tired squad. 

And also I'm tired of the media amd fans narrative that were not big or good enough currently. I understand for lots of Leicester fans that historically we've always been a yo-yo club.

But I also can't stand the pessimistic nature of it all because it completely ignores the facts of where we are and how we're doing right now.

I totally understand the disappointments of the McLintocks, Pleats and Taylors have ingrained themselves deep into psyches of people. But currently I'd rather choose to be optimistic, positive and supportive of our ability to do the impossible like we have done for the last 5-6 years and just enjoy the ride. 

Yeah history is cyclical, even more reason for the here and now to be cherished after 10 long years of disappointments. This is all fans of any club asks for. Going into every game with hope and joy rather than awaiting disappointment. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Spurs aren’t a step up imo, Manchester City yes if they are interested I can see Rodgers going but the likes of Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester United I cannot see why Rodgers would go.

To most people in football Spurs probably are a step up though 

17 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I have no doubt that Rodgers has no "loyalty" to a club he has no historical ties to, that he has been working at for 6 months.

I wouldn't be surprised that he would find a job like Spurs a good place to land.

I very much doubt he would in an instant thought Leicester would even contemplate letting him talk to Spurs, nor would he have thought they were in any way doing him a wrong.

Given that, I doubt he would have vocalized in any way that he had a "keen interest" in taking the Spurs job. It is possible a game of Chinese whispers could have led to someone no longer at the club from getting that impression, but I can't see Rodgers walking up to any of the LCFC suits telling them such a thing. Absolutely nothing he could gain from that.

Your first sentence is right on. Rodgers owes nobody nothing. But because of what happened at Celtic people think Rodgers is stupid.

:frusty: Dumb as a box of rocks ready to leave as soon as he gets a phone call. Crazy.

Edited by SO1

So many are missing the point here

big jobs come up all the time

rodgers is not an old man

he still has plenty of moves left 

he will show us no loyalty when a big job comes along BUT that won’t be for another year at least - whilst things are going well here AND he hasn’t seen through a whole season or two  then he simply wouldn’t go. 

My money would be on summer 2021, assuming that we haven’t won the league in 20/21!

if he feels the situation here is possibly going pear shaped then he may be tempted to jump earlier to protect his reputation 

• Like 1

Spurs are a bigger club than us. They have one of the best stadiums in Europe, lots of good players (not necessarily on form at the minute) and Champions League football.

Yes, we're doing better than them this year and they need a re-build, but they're still a massive draw. 

As for Rodgers, I'm sure he's grown fond of Leicester but if a big job comes up at the end of the season (Arsenal, Man Utd) then he's probably off. 

54 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

The Triple Treble. Thank God I don't have to hear about that gargantuan sporting achievement anymore or "The Ten".

All I ever wanted to see was the club punch above its weight in Europe.

And Celtic provided some excellent entertainment going toe to toe with some of the best no matter what the score. Fighting and pressing their asses off.

Some of the best performances I ever saw by a Rodgers club.

Rodgers left because he wasn't going to stack BB's in the corner. Think about that. Life is to precious to waste for someone else's bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Spurs are a bigger club than us. They have one of the best stadiums in Europe, lots of good players (not necessarily on form at the minute) and Champions League football.

Yes, we're doing better than them this year and they need a re-build, but they're still a massive draw. 

As for Rodgers, I'm sure he's grown fond of Leicester but if a big job comes up at the end of the season (Arsenal, Man Utd) then he's probably off. 

I simply disagree, especially if we have got into the CL

if big club appointments only arose every five years then I would have some sympathy with your post 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If he was offered the Man Utd job tomorrow he'd be gone like a shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I'm not saying for a second that he's going to stay here forever and that if you cut him open he'd bleed blue, but this assertion that he's likely to jump ship at the first possible opportunity to get himself to a 'big' club is based on very little factual evidence. I know I have blue-tinted specs but Leicester is a club with huge potential, plenty of investment, state-of-the-art facilities and, most importantly (for his ego), an opportunity for him to make a name for himself again and claim credit for turning us into a top-class side. He's got it good here and he'd be risking that going to any of the big clubs in disarray, so whilst he might move to them in the long term I think we've got him until at least summer 2021, pending good results.

He also has a contract with Leicester City. I am sure this conversation came up during his talks before getting the club -- there is no way the club would let him jump ship in the middle of the season, even if Real Madrid came calling.

I know people speak about the draw of the "big clubs" but the owners have been tougher than we give them credit for: Mahrez wanted ot leave two years before he finally got his transfer: A record fee for both clubs involved. And it wasn't quiet waiting, with open letters and airport shenanigans. Drinkwater was absolute insane money: I wouldn't want to sell my dog, but if you offered me $1 million, I'd take it. The club's problem wasn't with the deal, it was with the timing of the deal; there isn't a person that wouldn't have driven Drinkwater to London for 35 million. And Maguire was told in the summer of 2018 he wasn't going to be allowed to leave that season, even though ManU came calling. 

Rodgers won't be allowed to leave this year, and my guess is that if we get Champions League, he will be told he can't leave next year. Yes, he left Celtic, but that was only because we gave Celtic 8 million (I don't know if that was just what it took, or if he had a buyout clause). I can't see him having a buyout clause that could be activated within the first two years of his contract with us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Just posted this in another thread ...   what say you about this ... 

Been told by an ITK (worked there in a senior role and usually very reliable) that LCFC stopped Levy talking to Brendan but if they had he would have loved to have gone there and was very keen ...   can one of our ITK's please tell me this is defo bolox as its made my bottom lip come out and it won't go back in ...    :(

I'm sure he would've been tempted, but that doesn't mean he's going to throw his toys out of the pram and be resentful. He'll still be focused on us and wanting to do well and keep his reputation high.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

Agreed but, only if a 'big job' comes up, but those two currently aren't in my opinion at this particular moment in time. Both jobs have the potential to ruin Rodgers future big time. Let's just remember how low his stock was when he went to Celtic, nobody of any note here wanted him, he was seen as a failure and has had to build his reputation up again albeit with a dead cert of a team in a poor league. 

I wouldn't blame him or any of our players to want to better themselves, they do it for a variety of reasons and we would too if it was our job.

However,  Rodgers is nobody's fool. He leapt here because he could see that he was onto a good thing. Unlike Man Utd, Spurs and Arsenal who will need rebuilding, the latter two with no more money than he could potentially be given here, we are a very young talented side with the right players already here. The odd tweak player wise in the transfer market and a bit of coaching and he's in a win win situation. Get us into the top 4 and his stock will rise even higher and I'd suggest that at the end of next season we'll be talking about much better jobs than those currently on offer, possibly abroad like Bayern or if Pep goes, Man City. Its surely got to be worth forgetting these potential bananas skins at the moment. Timing for him is everything.