Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

10 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Think good things will come for Rangers under this new gaffer perhaps its blue half domination to come in years. Going back to Rodgers for Celtic was a massive backward step.

No. This Rangers team is woefully average. There's someone still at Celtic whom has the fore vision for appointments like Ange and some really good signings too. 

On 16/12/2023 at 15:41, CWC1983 said:

He's been stealing a living for the last 2 seasons. 

A lot of his mistakes and indecisiveness are beginning to hurt his team. 

Not true, he's actually been a great signing for us and that's coming from someone who never liked him previously. He was great last season and the one before but time is beginning to catch up with him now and he should probably have been replaced in the summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muzzy_Larsson said:

Have to agree with this, definitely not a vintage crop across both teams.

I'm sick the way we didn't lay a glove on a very average Rangers team yesterday  

Could have had potentially two penalties that VAR didn't get get involved with, but Rangers learned their lesson from Pittodrie and defended deep which didn't give Miovski or Sokler space to run into. 

We'll never have a better chance to win silverware in Glasgow against one of you two. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Good atmosphere at Easter Road tonight.    It's amazing what having a good chunk of away fans does for local derbies!

(something we used to get all the time years ago, but has almost become a thing of the past ... what with season ticket filled home games, nervous club and police authorities, etc)

Missed pens from both sides already too!

Always seems to be a very end-to-end fixture whenever I watch it.

10 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

So good.

Always a derby I try to make a point of watching - definitely one of the best on this island. There's always some entertainment.

Definitely, its actually getting better and better each year, but that seems to be happening a lot in Scottish football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Definitely, its actually getting better and better each year, but that seems to be happening a lot in Scottish football.

The final piece of the puzzle is someone upsetting the Old Firm duopoly and winning the league. Think that'd really make more people sit up and take note.

Hard to see how that happens after it never occurred when Rangers went bust though. That was the big chance.

4 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

The final piece of the puzzle is someone upsetting the Old Firm duopoly and winning the league. Think that'd really make more people sit up and take note.

Hard to see how that happens after it never occurred when Rangers went bust though. That was the big chance.

True.  It doesn't seem to bother most Scottish fans though they seem to be in it for different reasons.  They probably understand that they can never win the league and just enjoy what they have.  Maybe that's one of the reasons the clubs are so much better connected to their fanbase?

The only downside of these great Scottish derby games is the childish tit for tat reductions of away fans for the old firm.  They're still incredible occasions but its not the same without the large away allocations. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, purpleronnie said:

True.  It doesn't seem to bother most Scottish fans though they seem to be in it for different reasons.  They probably understand that they can never win the league and just enjoy what they have.  Maybe that's one of the reasons the clubs are so much better connected to their fanbase?

Pretty much summed up the non old firm fans feelings, hence why we'd be delighted for them to swan off to another league. 

The main rivalries and one-upmanship sit with the rest of the clubs, and we'll all take a pot shot at the Glasgow 2 in hope more than expectation. 

On 28/12/2023 at 08:59, Voll Blau said:

@CWC1983

It'll be great when someone else other than Celtic/Rangers win the League.  I can't see it happening anytime soon ... although saying that, no one saw our 2016 Premier League win coming until it happened.

I can remember the last time the Old Firm domination was smashed.   It had been all C&R after Kilmarnock's win in 1965 and heading towards the end of the 1979-80 season, it looked like Celtic were cruising it again.   They'd stuttered a bit in early April, but the wheels really came off a couple of weeks later when they got stuffed 5-1 at Dundee (who were well adrift in the 2nd relegation spot).   That game was arguably the biggest upset since the Premier League was set up in 1975.

Then 4 days later Aberdeen went to Parkhead.  Everyone had just expected Celtic to finally put cheeky upstarts Aberdeen in their place.  But Aberdeen won 3-1 away, which absolutely rocked Scottish football, and you believed they could really do it.   (a bit like out 3-1 win at Man City in 2016).   Anyway, Aberdeen saw the job out, and won the League 3 matches later by beating Hibs away 5-0 ... and with one match to spare.

That started a great spell for Aberdeen who won 3 titles in 6 years.   Dundee Utd also chipped in with a title in 1983.   And Hearts would've won one in 1986, if they hadn't imploded at Dundee in the last 10 minutes of that season.

Since then it's been 38 years of C&R.    I can only remember one serious challenge ... in 1991 when Aberdeen took it to the last match before losing 2-0 in the head-to-head title decider with Rangers.   

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before someone "does a Leicester".   I'd like it to be Queen Of The South, but that's not going to happen.  Failing that, I'd be happy to see Hearts win it.   They've suffered 38 years of merciless ribbing from Hibs fans, and I think they deserve a break.

Here are the goals from the latter of the 2 crucial wins at Parkhead:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

Hopefully it won't be too much longer before someone "does a Leicester".   I'd like it to be Queen Of The South, but that's not going to happen.  Failing that, I'd be happy to see Hearts win it.   They've suffered 38 years of merciless ribbing from Hibs fans, and I think they deserve a break.

38 years? Don't trust anyone who wants Hearts over Hibs quite frankly 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

@CWC1983

It'll be great when someone else other than Celtic/Rangers win the League.  I can't see it happening anytime soon ... although saying that, no one saw our 2016 Premier League win coming until it happened.

I can remember the last time the Old Firm domination was smashed.   It had been all C&R after Kilmarnock's win in 1965 and heading towards the end of the 1979-80 season, it looked like Celtic were cruising it again.   They'd stuttered a bit in early April, but the wheels really came off a couple of weeks later when they got stuffed 5-1 at Dundee (who were well adrift in the 2nd relegation spot).   That game was arguably the biggest upset since the Premier League was set up in 1975.

Then 4 days later Aberdeen went to Parkhead.  Everyone had just expected Celtic to finally put cheeky upstarts Aberdeen in their place.  But Aberdeen won 3-1 away, which absolutely rocked Scottish football, and you believed they could really do it.   (a bit like out 3-1 win at Man City in 2016).   Anyway, Aberdeen saw the job out, and won the League 3 matches later by beating Hibs away 5-0 ... and with one match to spare.

That started a great spell for Aberdeen who won 3 titles in 6 years.   Dundee Utd also chipped in with a title in 1983.   And Hearts would've won one in 1986, if they hadn't imploded at Dundee in the last 10 minutes of that season.

Since then it's been 38 years of C&R.    I can only remember one serious challenge ... in 1991 when Aberdeen took it to the last match before losing 2-0 in the head-to-head title decider with Rangers.   

Here are the goals from the latter of the 2 crucial wins at Parkhead:

Good post, 

I'm old enough to to remember the late 70's and 1980''s so I was brought up expecting to beat the old firm home and away. 

The 1991 one was a hard one to take. I travelled down without a ticket but managed to pick one up for the away end at £70. 

Rangers squad was decimated by injuries and all we needed was a draw. We had clawed back a big gap by playing attacking football  but for this game Alex Smith went more defensive. 

1st minute, a high cross went into our 6 yard box and Mark Hately absolutely smashed our young inexperienced keeper. He wasn't the same after that. 

At 0-0 Peter van de ven was clean through with Chris Woods to beat.......he fluffed his chance by trying to dink it.  Small margins etc, but once rangers scored there was no way back even though we huffed and puffed.

It would have been interesting to see what Hearts would have done when George Burley won the first 12 game before getting sacked by Mad Vlad. 

The only other time there was a title race to speak of was when Rangers were in Div 3 and Celtic had Ronnie Dalia as manager. We managed to keep pace with them up until January when Klopp decided to recall our best player to Liverpool.  Danny Ward believe it or not was on loan and was outstanding. Klopp then didn't play him or use him as a sub......

• Like 1