Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Scottish Football

25 minutes ago, Corky said:

Has this fixture had two English keepers before?

14 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Who was Celtic keeper when Chris Woods played for Rangers ?

Not sure if it was the last time 2 English keepers played in this fixture, but our very own Ian Andrews filled in for an injured Pat Bonner in this 1988 fixture opposite Chris Woods. Had a nightmare as Rangers won 5-1

It's a bit of a shame what's happened to the OF game. 

Very little ability. Barely any intensity (first red card in 12 games or something) and no atmosphere anymore since the took away, away fans...

Also.... Dessers is an abomination of a footballer. 

9 minutes ago, Scotch said:

It's a bit of a shame what's happened to the OF game. 

Very little ability. Barely any intensity (first red card in 12 games or something) and no atmosphere anymore since the took away, away fans...

Also.... Dessers is an abomination of a footballer. 

No atmosphere?  LOL.

11 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

No atmosphere?  LOL.

Not in my opinion no. A great atmosphere is generated by two opposing fans. Those particular set of fans generated a great atmosphere because of their hatred for each other. 

Sure for a sing along it's great but so is a Taylor swift concert. 

2 hours ago, Scotch said:

Not in my opinion no. A great atmosphere is generated by two opposing fans. Those particular set of fans generated a great atmosphere because of their hatred for each other. 

Sure for a sing along it's great but so is a Taylor swift concert. 

Definitely not the same without lots of away fans.   And I mean lots of away fans.

What makes most of the traditional English derbies so sterile these days ... whether it be Liverpool v Everton, Man Utd v Man City, Arsenal v Tottenham, etc etc) is it's usually the same number of away fans every match.   3000 ... no different to every other league match.

What made the local derbies so special years ago, was the large number of away fans.   And nowhere was better than the Old Firm for huge away followings.  Even up to the mid 1980's Rangers were taking 23,000 to Parkhead (which held 67,000 at the time ... just the one seated stand.   3 sides all terracing).     Celtic brought less to Ibrox, as at the time it was nearly all-seats and only held 45,000 ... but they still had the whole of the Broomloan Road stand (7500 seat) and half the main stand terrace ... probably 12,000 in total.

I manged to get to quite a few of the Old Firm games in the early 80's.   Absolutely brilliant atmospheres.   I wouldn't go to an Old Firm game without away fans, if you paid me.

38 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

Definitely not the same without lots of away fans.   And I mean lots of away fans.

What makes most of the traditional English derbies so sterile these days ... whether it be Liverpool v Everton, Man Utd v Man City, Arsenal v Tottenham, etc etc) is it's usually the same number of away fans every match.   3000 ... no different to every other league match.

What made the local derbies so special years ago, was the large number of away fans.   And nowhere was better than the Old Firm for huge away followings.  Even up to the mid 1980's Rangers were taking 23,000 to Parkhead (which held 67,000 at the time ... just the one seated stand.   3 sides all terracing).     Celtic brought less to Ibrox, as at the time it was nearly all-seats and only held 45,000 ... but they still had the whole of the Broomloan Road stand (7500 seat) and half the main stand terrace ... probably 12,000 in total.

I manged to get to quite a few of the Old Firm games in the early 80's.   Absolutely brilliant atmospheres.   I wouldn't go to an Old Firm game without away fans, if you paid me.

From the age of about 10-14 I spent almost every birthday at an old firm game as it was either on my Birthday or the day before. This was late 90s and I have no idea of the away allocations but the atmosphere was always electric.

It maybe wasn't fair of me to say that there was "no" atmosphere at games now but in comparison to what is used to be...

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

Yet the atmosphere was a million times better than the English derbies despite no away fans.

I agree that away fans improve it, its just the whole 'no atmosphere' I was chuckling at.  It was bouncing.