Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Revolution in TV watching a massive success

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

3 o’ clock games are not available in this country to protect leagues 1 and 2 and non league. As @cardifffox  perfectly I llustrates above .......

When amazon broadcast all the premier league games, there is nothing to stop them abolishing Saturday 3pm kick off times. They could all play Sunday with staggered kick off times.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Lets say e.g. is 150k LCFC supporters

30k attend game

Are the other 120k not real fans because may be they too ill, cannot afford it, work during games, cannot get a ticket, or have other sound reasons not real fans?

I think the point of view where only people attending games should get to watch it live is outdated and elitist.

The way games are aired on TV is most definitely outdated.

The amazon way is the future, what BT did for this round of games was also ok, although I prefer the streaming service as can also watch games on VOD as well.

This nonsense of selling rights to three different companies because apparently its better for consumers, just means people have to pay three providers and even then cannot see their own team every week because of this nonsensical 3pm blackout.

End of the day if someone wants to watch a game they will whether its via legal or illegal services, I think it has little "proven" impact on non league football, if anything it probably helps as it raises the profile of the game.  How were attendances in the years before 1992?  I vaguely remember English football been in a dire state.

"Average home league attendance‎: ‎15,184" 1991

Random non league club I checked here.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/nonleague/chec.htm

Attendances have declined historically but it bottomed out 10 years before the PL was formed. 

Having read some informative posts since my initial response,I admit mine wasn't ideal.

I think I have my head in the sand with reference to supporters watching games in TV.

Don't know the ideal scenario but just hope it doesn't jepordise football in general.

7 hours ago, sheffield_fox said:

The streams are usually HD. A few streamers put up streams that never lag too. And it has every single game. 

Excellent. I've been using them for years because I travel and spend half my time in London I can't get to many home games and rarely attend away fixtures these days. Could you recommend some stable and reliable ones, not simply for me, but for the benefit of many on this forum. I have used scores in the past and have many in my bookmarks but it is a complete lottery and its very rare that the link does not freeze, lag, hang or become inoperable during the game. I think I am correct in saying that this is the experience of most on here. Quality wise, absolutely agree the HD picture is superb when it isn't buffering. 

• Like 1

I think it would be good in principle, but as long as it is still a collective agreement - i.e. a Bournemouth TV season ticket costs the same as Man United or Spurs. Otherwise clubs will negotiate individual rights and the "big" clubs will begin to get much richer - rather then the gradual levelling of finances we've seen in the past 10 years or so

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

When amazon broadcast all the premier league games, there is nothing to stop them abolishing Saturday 3pm kick off times. They could all play Sunday with staggered kick off times.

This is pretty much what happened on New Year’s Day, but by BT. Sense Amazon’s sojourn into PL football is having an effect a,ready.

• Like 1

Having given it some through given I'm a minority, if the law was to change it has to be for like a season ticket package per individual club with some blackout percentage rule. Try to kill off the awkward kick-off times, still encourage physical attendance and by making it club specific avoiding lower league clubs to feel the pinch. 

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’d pay for a TV season pass to LCFC ideally to watch games 2 hours after KO time. Whilst that would be a bit pants for evening games I’d happily ignore the result and watch a game at home on a Saturday at 5pm.... (Not that I’d be attending Accrington Stanley v Cambridge at 3pm instead but if it helped the lower leagues somehow....

For Leicester fans, it's less of an effect. 

But imagine if every Manchester United game was available on TV including Saturday 3pm's. Oldham, Salford, Bury*, Rochdale and other Manchester area clubs have a huge challenge then. There's a trend in League 1/2 of season ticket holders of 'smaller clubs' who also follow a PL club. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Raj said:

The way it's going there won't be any lower league clubs.

Everyone will just be watching Premier League games on TV.

Thanks God for the REAL fans who go to the games.

I live in Germany....was and am still a Real fan,but club stopping me!!   

How..

#Silly unfair membership-scheme.

#officially,not allowing STs to be shared

#Crowd capacity...!!

# Rarity for game day tickets..

I would come over twice a month to watch a game.I am not the only one,from all clubs.Who would love to watch their home born team live.

I was an earlier pensioner,now climbed into the official pension years,but there are alot of young working lads n lasses,who would enjoy & find time to watch LIVE "their" club of birth or choice,

Home or away...It's still reasonably cheap to travel within Europe.Just look at the short stay..Stag or Hen parties..

I am now Wheelchair bound,but I would come over,if tickets ' home or Away' were ready .available. 

But let's be fair to the situation..

A) increase in capacity at Leicester would see regular 3-5000 fans more.

B)For the overseas fan coming home,

Maybe 2-300 fans max,plastic or REAL.!!

I have UK Sky..but refuse to pay more for BT,or any other..!!

If games got less & cricket coverage worsened...Good night sky!!!

I look for free streams..They are usually around...I would rather pay LCFC a monthly rate for guaranteed stream instead of Sky...But clubs/ PL are lacking!! So no guilty feelings for picking up on pirate streams...Oh..Hey Jim laaad..Oi'l walk the plank with thee yet,to catch the tide of Davy Jones,and the stream of blue beard Vardy..:beer:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Foxaholic ME said:

Cant believe a non league side charge £18  but take your word for it  the libary atmosphere is usually when the home side performing badly  our last 2 away games being good examples

Kid you not! Up near me the prices for lower/ non-league matchday prices

Macclesfield/ Oldham (League 2 - bottom of table) - £22

Stockport County (conference, 5th in table) - £18

Curzon Ashton (conference north, mid table) - £14

The only outlier - Salford City (League 2, mid table) - £10. Having spoken to locals the belief is because the Class of 92 want it to be a proper community club for Salford and they do some sterling work. Yet Macclesfield 30 miles away don't pay their players. There's a reason the Nevilles are well respected.

Mark my words - this decade will see more clubs go under, like Bury

• Like 1

The focus of football has to be about watching live in the stadiums. I live in London and have 4 kids so I usually only make 10-12 games a season. I love it when we’re on TV, but I wouldn’t like every game to be shown if it reduced the number of people watching live football throughout the leagues/pyramid.

What makes English football so special is the attendances at the various of the game and the atmosphere it generates. I used to watch my local side Barnet at times as a kid and some of the atmospheres at non-league level were superb.

The game has to move with the times and I have enjoyed the amazon offering this festive season, so who knows where it will end up.

Half and half tourists, songs on the speaker system, a bottle of watery lager, and a pasty costing the same as a small family hatchback. Lapped up by consumers replete in branded plastic clothing, made by children for pennies, clutching tickets equating to the weekly food budget for the majority of lower income families. 

Yep, this is a glorious true fan experience played out while sitting on an overpriced cramped chair, in the cold, suffering a nearby tool spouting ignorance or bile.

Oh that’s not me, I know the words to WYS and who shares a flat with Julian Joachim.”

You propa fans are welcome to what now laughably constitutes the live matchday experience [tm]. Chant equal opportunities approved songs and run to beat the traffic on 80 minutes.

Lap up the platitudes from your preferred vendor.

Promise to buy more product. 

The game died decades ago but people still think that history or salary structures can be reversed and the zombie reanimated. Those glory days of service station brown envelopes, Ken Bates’ fences and Bob Wilson, anchorman.

The future is streamed season ticket content and I can not wait. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

Kid you not! Up near me the prices for lower/ non-league matchday prices

Macclesfield/ Oldham (League 2 - bottom of table) - £22

Stockport County (conference, 5th in table) - £18

Curzon Ashton (conference north, mid table) - £14

The only outlier - Salford City (League 2, mid table) - £10. Having spoken to locals the belief is because the Class of 92 want it to be a proper community club for Salford and they do some sterling work. Yet Macclesfield 30 miles away don't pay their players. There's a reason the Nevilles are well respected.

Mark my words - this decade will see more clubs go under, like Bury

It's the Chicken/Egg scenario on that. The TV deals have inflated the wage bills - which reaches down to those depths. Such a 'season ticket' TV deal sees another increase in money coming to the top level clubs who equally spend it. So the Lower league clubs have to find another why of bridging the gap in wages. 

Salford can take the hit of not making a profit every match day and I am not entirely convinced they are there for a community service. 

Obviously the one-club TV season pass revenue would have to be centralised and distributed in an equitable way

I can see the likes of Man Utd lobbying hard for a bigger chunk of the pot when it's shown that 8 million Man Utd passes were sold versus 3 thousand Bournemouth passes

You'd need a cheap, flat top-up rate for individual fixtures too, like when you support Leicester but want to watch Watford beat Wolves later on

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

It's the Chicken/Egg scenario on that. The TV deals have inflated the wage bills - which reaches down to those depths. Such a 'season ticket' TV deal sees another increase in money coming to the top level clubs who equally spend it. So the Lower league clubs have to find another why of bridging the gap in wages. 

Salford can take the hit of not making a profit every match day and I am not entirely convinced they are there for a community service. 

I'd tend to agree. Even some League Two players are getting about £50k a year - which is almost double the national average (and a damn sight more than I'm on). Yes, they are few and far between but for the quality you get it's nonsense. You'd like to think the bubble is close to bursting but we all thought that about 10 years ago when Ronaldo sold for £80 million.

As for Salford - that's just based on what locals tell me. Never been to a game myself. 

• Like 1

Netflix EPL sounds good, consolidated price to watch all Premiership football. Alternatively you could have it to show all UK football including cups and allow for a more equal spread of incoming revenue across all clubs from all professional divisions.

Customer is happy because they don't pay for 2 or more subscriptions

Clubs get a further reach to the fanbase and more appeal

Clubs should benefit from revenue

Premier League stadiums will still fill (lower leagues don't in the current model, so at least they should get a larger slice of TV revenue to help the coffers)

Finally, if the FA/UK Footballing Leagues do it right, they could film all football themselves, set the platform up for domestic and global streaming... they will still earn themselves a pretty penny. 

1 minute ago, Rusko187 said:

if the FA/UK Footballing Leagues do it right, they could film all football themselves, set the platform up for domestic and global streaming... they will still earn themselves a pretty penny. 

This is the sensible, long-term option 

Just now, Bourbon Fox said:

This is the sensible, long-term option 

Think it's the model Formula One operate, except they sell the rights to air the footage to television companies... I just figure in this day and age that a subscription based model for ALL UK football would be far more lucrative for them.

Have staggered passes too:

- Own club

- Selected League

- Selected League and Domestic Cups

- Selected League and All Cups (globally)

- All Leagues and Domestic Cups

- All Leagues and All Cups (globally)

Great suggestions from everyone and a great debate. I’m sure someone at the club frequently scans football forums like ours to get a sense of what fans are missing and need.

I only dream of getting hold of a ST one day to share with my brother who lives in Leicester but  being an ex pat in California it’s almost impossible to make it to more than a couple of home games a year. I watch everything I can on tv and if not I’ll scour the net for any decent streams that are available as frustrating as it is with the constant pop-ups and having to refresh. If I ever moved back to leics I’d line up for a ST for me and my son. Meanwhile beg, borrow and steal to get any tickets to any games home & away. We do what we have to I guess.

5 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Great suggestions from everyone and a great debate. I’m sure someone at the club frequently scans football forums like ours to get a sense of what fans are missing and need.

I only dream of getting hold of a ST one day to share with my brother who lives in Leicester but  being an ex pat in California it’s almost impossible to make it to more than a couple of home games a year. I watch everything I can on tv and if not I’ll scour the net for any decent streams that are available as frustrating as it is with the constant pop-ups and having to refresh. If I ever moved back to leics I’d line up for a ST for me and my son. Meanwhile beg, borrow and steal to get any tickets to any games home & away. We do what we have to I guess.

Can't you watch them on NBC?

6 hours ago, Daggers said:

Half and half tourists, songs on the speaker system, a bottle of watery lager, and a pasty costing the same as a small family hatchback. Lapped up by consumers replete in branded plastic clothing, made by children for pennies, clutching tickets equating to the weekly food budget for the majority of lower income families. 

Yep, this is a glorious true fan experience played out while sitting on an overpriced cramped chair, in the cold, suffering a nearby tool spouting ignorance or bile.

Oh that’s not me, I know the words to WYS and who shares a flat with Julian Joachim.”

You propa fans are welcome to what now laughably constitutes the live matchday experience [tm]. Chant equal opportunities approved songs and run to beat the traffic on 80 minutes.

Lap up the platitudes from your preferred vendor.

Promise to buy more product. 

The game died decades ago but people still think that history or salary structures can be reversed and the zombie reanimated. Those glory days of service station brown envelopes, Ken Bates’ fences and Bob Wilson, anchorman.

The future is streamed season ticket content and I can not wait. 

I’m sure this post will be ignored by the elitist on here but it’s spot on, absolutely spot on.