Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

Revolution in TV watching a massive success

13 minutes ago, Raj said:

The way it's going there won't be any lower league clubs.

Everyone will just be watching Premier League games on TV.

Thanks God for the REAL fans who go to the games.

Theres a huge market untapped, of fans who live far out, can't go to games or simply don't want to attend live matches for a host of reasons but would happily pay to view matches on TV. Arguably this demographic are paying when they can or already streaming which isn't impacting on lower leagues or if it is, isn't going to change anything.

And God's got fvck all to do with any of it!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

That's such a dismissive snooty response. Our games sell out every single week - a lot of fans simply can't get a ticket even if they want to. A lot of fans don't live in Leicester anymore and make it to games when they can, but often can't.

100% that. Been years since I went to a Saturday home game and I "only" live two hours away. The fact is, a lot of people either can't get a ticket or can't justify the time and cost to get to live games.

I'd say ticket prices are more of an issue than broadcast. Even my local non league club charges £18 a home game. That price gets me two tickets to the cinema or a cheap meal out with the girlfriend. 

Vincent Kompany did a thing about a year ago where he said one of the EPL's assets is the atmosphere from fans. Having been to games at "big" clubs and heard more noise in a library I'd say it's already being lost. 

35 minutes ago, Sly said:

It doesn’t impact US sports, which allow you to watch every game with a “season pass”. The stadiums are always full from what I see! 

Not every fan can get to a game, as they have other life commitments. 

I haven’t had a season ticket in 10 years, due to family commitments. I’d happily pay for a Digital Season Ticket and watch all games Amazon style. 

But correct me if I'm wrong. But dont the NFL have a blackout in the state local to the game. Ie. If the cowboys are playing in Dallas, you cant watch the game in Texas.

4 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Was it Jules Breach? 

Yes. Just googled the name. 

She does well amidst all the pougatch, savage and Sutton bantz.  And I hadn't clock anything on her wedding finger. Sadly, she appears to be attached. So will just have to wait for the inevitable cracks to appear in her marriage before making a move

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

I was watching on BT ya weapon 

Yeah apologies. As I said earlier it wasn't well advertised.

Personally, I feel we've taken a step backwards. At the moment our games are spread across Sky, BT, Amazon, BBC and even Quest. I liked what Amazon did, watch the match you want. That is how it needs to be.

It's not just football. You need Netflick to watch this, Sky Atlantic to watch that, Disney+ to watch other. You could spend a small fortune watching all the popular shows and paying fully to just watch one show while the rest is just filler.

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Yes. Just googled the name. 

She does well amidst all the pougatch, savage and Sutton bantz.  And I hadn't clock anything on her wedding finger. Sadly, she appears to be attached. So will just have to wait for the inevitable cracks to appear in her marriage before making a move

She's very knowledgeable too. Host's a decent podcast with Andy Brassall on The Football Ramble. 

Worth noting that some countries do broadcast Saturday afternoon kickoffs. I think this includes Germany, where attendances are consistently high.

As it is, I watch Sky games on my lads login, and he watches on my BT. Having a digtal season ticket would be great.

1 hour ago, sheffield_fox said:

The streams are usually better quality and less laggy than the sky player...

Its a joke that the 3pm kick offs aren't televised. Its a joke that you have to pay now for 3 different networks to watch the games and still half of them aren't televised. 

The Premier league is taking the piss out of fans. I can't believe that so many people actually pay for sky and bt when the streams are soooo much more reliable. 

When every game is televised like it was when amazon did it the other day, with everything on one channel and equal representation for every team, I'll start paying. 

Thats how they broadcast the Premier league in every other country in the world. Ridiculous that they don't do it here. 

I actually preferred the Amazon Prime Live Premier League coverage thought it was a breathe of fresh air to the usual drivel from certain has been commentary dished our on Sly & Bt, really hoping they get the chance to show a few more games over the season.

We watch every Leicester game (and any other EPL game we want, live or recorded) using a legal streaming service in Canada called DAZN. $20 Canadian a month. I don’t need a VPN because I live here, but others might. (FYI I have found Expressvpn to be very stable). I’m sure there are lots of people around the world, including plenty in the UK, who can’t get to games. We are not “plastic” or “armchair” fans. Speaking for myself, I’ve been a member of the Blue Army since the days I was in L3 singing about the “Mighty String”, but I get back to the UK very rarely, so this service is a godsend. On that note, several of us will be back for a wedding when Leicester play Sheffield....so help any with tickets would be very much welcomed.

Must be nice to be able to afford £80 or so for a couple to watch a game, I’d rather be there than watch on tv but 1) can’t afford it and 2) it’s usually sold out. But thanks for patronising all those people and telling them they aren’t real fans. More and more people are having to use food banks just to feed their families so not sure how you expect everyone to be able to spend a fortune on tickets. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bennytwohats said:

A well respected member of the broadband isp community (who has many contacts, used to work for virgin media), confirmed that in the first round of Amazon games, BT Wholesale had capacity issues, millions of broadband users rely on BT wholesale, so Amazon are not really to blame for the issues some people had.

My own connection doesn't rely on BT Wholesale and I had no issues watching the games on Amazon.

2 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

100% that. Been years since I went to a Saturday home game and I "only" live two hours away. The fact is, a lot of people either can't get a ticket or can't justify the time and cost to get to live games.

I'd say ticket prices are more of an issue than broadcast. Even my local non league club charges £18 a home game. That price gets me two tickets to the cinema or a cheap meal out with the girlfriend. 

Vincent Kompany did a thing about a year ago where he said one of the EPL's assets is the atmosphere from fans. Having been to games at "big" clubs and heard more noise in a library I'd say it's already being lost. 

Cant believe a non league side charge £18  but take your word for it  the libary atmosphere is usually when the home side performing badly  our last 2 away games being good examples

A balance needs to be struck between catering for fans who can't get to games and those who do attend. There's no doubt the 3pm blackout has hit the matchgoing fans hard in terms of kick-off times (Arsenal have had trips to Man United and Sheffield United on Monday nights this season) because that match can be the showpiece of the evening.

Us being on TV doesn't bother me too much- if anything, I'd prefer all our home matches to be 3pm Saturday- but I realise that people want to watch the team and many more can't attend than can. We do need to think about the clubs lower down, however, and if it is certain that live games at 3pm badly hurt attendances then that can't be allowed to happen.

This is an issue that won't be resolved easily as different parties have different needs. I think it is more likely that the Premier League ceases to have matches at 3pm on Saturday in the future and the schedule is expanded initially then condensed with three or four early and late kick-offs, as today had.

3 hours ago, Raj said:

The way it's going there won't be any lower league clubs.

Everyone will just be watching Premier League games on TV.

Thanks God for the REAL fans who go to the games.

Lets say e.g. is 150k LCFC supporters

30k attend game

Are the other 120k not real fans because may be they too ill, cannot afford it, work during games, cannot get a ticket, or have other sound reasons not real fans?

I think the point of view where only people attending games should get to watch it live is outdated and elitist.

The way games are aired on TV is most definitely outdated.

The amazon way is the future, what BT did for this round of games was also ok, although I prefer the streaming service as can also watch games on VOD as well.

This nonsense of selling rights to three different companies because apparently its better for consumers, just means people have to pay three providers and even then cannot see their own team every week because of this nonsensical 3pm blackout.

End of the day if someone wants to watch a game they will whether its via legal or illegal services, I think it has little "proven" impact on non league football, if anything it probably helps as it raises the profile of the game.  How were attendances in the years before 1992?  I vaguely remember English football been in a dire state.

"Average home league attendance‎: ‎15,184" 1991

Random non league club I checked here.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/nonleague/chec.htm

Attendances have declined historically but it bottomed out 10 years before the PL was formed. 

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Line-X said:

You sure about that? 

100% sure. I used to use the sky player online thing and for large chunks of the game, it's completely pixelated. Must be about 144p. I've given up on it. 

The streams are usually HD. A few streamers put up streams that never lag too. And it has every single game. 

That's what the networks should be competing with and until they provide a similar level of service to what is available for free, I won't bother buying them in anymore. 

Yeah my idea was to simply have EPL games not on Sat 3pm, but match going fans may think different because as you said its the "tradition".

Also I can confirm now tv has pixelation issues.  The auto resolution feature they have has issues.

Edited by Chrysalis

Look at what Netflix has done for films and TV in terms of piracy, whatever you think of Netflix as a company. There was a time I'd download and watch films/TV shows all the time from torrent sites, now I pay my tenner and have a library of thousands, it's good value for money. Give the people what they want at a reasonable price and piracy decreases a lot.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

.  How were attendances in the years before 1992?  I vaguely remember English football been in a dire state.

"Average home league attendance‎: ‎15,184" 1991

Random non league club I checked here.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/nonleague/chec.htm

Attendances have declined historically but it bottomed out 10 years before the PL was formed. 

There’s a huge, obvious reasons for attendances pre 1992 - hooliganism. Throw in the Taylor Report what made stadiums actually nice places to sit in rather than standing under tin leaking roofs 

I’d pay for a TV season pass to LCFC ideally to watch games 2 hours after KO time. Whilst that would be a bit pants for evening games I’d happily ignore the result and watch a game at home on a Saturday at 5pm.... (Not that I’d be attending Accrington Stanley v Cambridge at 3pm instead but if it helped the lower leagues somehow....