Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

FA Cup 4th Round - Brentford Away

46 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

At least 1 of them is home fans only though, The Griffin.

Away fans are always welcome in The Griffin before the match. Occasionally it’s been home fans only afterwards, however that tends to be the more problematic fixtures (of which we have few). Assuming it’s been a good natured day - which I’m sure it will be - you’ll have no problem in there afterwards either. In any case you’re not short of places to drink.

I’d like to think we can both fancy winning this one; hopefully the team selections should reflect this and be decent.

I can’t wait.

Edited by Dai Brent
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Solihullfox said:

I was sitting in the side stand too, can’t remember for sure but think we had the away end too. My abiding memory of the afternoon was seeing planes fly across the ground seemingly every minute as they went in and out of Heathrow.

Maybe Brentford gave us behind the goal and a section along one of the side stands. 

Or I was very, very drunk😄

51 minutes ago, Craig said:

I went in The Griffin prior to their home game with Cardiff and there were plenty of Cardiff fans in there. 

5 minutes ago, Jakarta Bee said:

Well it had a load of Stoke fans in there on Saturday!

Times must have changed! Been a while since I've been to GP.

12 hours ago, pds said:

Screenshot_20200106-205950.png

You learn something every day!

I knew that Norwich City's record attendance was against us (in 1963), but had completely forgotten ... assuming I knew in the first place ... that Brentford's record crowd was also against us.

I don't think any other clubs have us as their record attendance.  

Although interestingly, QPR's record attendance was broken when they played us in the 1974 FA Cup Quarter final (just over 34000), but then it was broken again a few weeks later when Leeds Utd played there on the last match of the season - after they had been crowned League champions.

<<< Edited to say:

This is really weird, but at least explains why I never knew Brentford record crowd was against us.

Apparently many records imply that Brentford's record crowd was 39,626 against Preston North End in the FA Cup in 1938.   This was the one that use to be quoted in all books up until 2000-ish.

But since then, it says their record crowd was 38,678 against us in 1949.  

Some sources still quote the first attendance.

I can only assume that about 20 years, someone at Brentford was looking through old records and realised that the 1938 attendance was wrong?

>>>

Edited by worth_the_wait
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dai Brent said:

Away fans are always welcome in The Griffin before the match. Occasionally it’s been home fans only afterwards, however that tends to be the more problematic fixtures (of which we have few). Assuming it’s been a good natured day - which I’m sure it will be - you’ll have no problem in there afterwards either. In any case you’re not short of places to drink.

I’d like to think we can both fancy winning this one; hopefully the team selections should reflect this and be decent.

I can’t wait.

Ah, that explains it, thanks.

I usually go to The Globe. Assume that would be fine although I cant remember seeing away fans in there before.

Edited by ealingfox

Think this could be tricky Tight ground and a very decent footballing side to contend with.

They'll want to mark their last season at Griffin Pk with a Premier League scalp

Would like to see Brendan going top dollar for this one. 

(Puzzled by some of the disparaging references to this part of London above. My niece used to live opposite, and loved the area.

Probably not gentrified enough for some of our county supporters...)

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Ah, that explains it, thanks.

I usually go to The Globe. Assume that would be fine although I cant remember seeing away fans in there before.

The Globe is my preferred pre-match boozer too (nothing to do with the buxom barmaids they put on on match days wearing undersized replica shirts, of course...) and you only occasionally get a sprinkling of away fans in there because it's not on the way from anywhere to the ground so you need to go looking for it. 

There cannot be another ground in the country with as many nearby pubs as GP. I counted all the pubs within a 10 minute walk about 20 years ago and it was something like 28! Some crappy ones have closed since then but there must still be about 20 (I've surveyed the new ground already and, fortunately, there are still over 10 within 10 minutes). The four at the ground are all perfectly safe for away fans, though sometimes the New Inn is home fans only if we're playing someone with particularly scummy fans like Millwall or Birmingham. 

• Haha 1

In a very busy period of about 18 days, we have matches against Burnley, West Ham, Brentford, Villa (semi final) and Chelsea. Of these, for me, the Brentford match is much the least important. A top four place is easily the most important goal followed some way behind by hopefully a cup final which, if it turns out to be against ManCity would be a big ask. I wouldn't personally think the game against Brentford anywhere near qualifies for a so called best first 11. It's a nice to win but not a need to win game and romance of the FA cup aside, I would for example put far more emphasis on the importance of the Chelsea match.

• Like 2

The talk of prioritising games is a peculiar topic for me. If we want the club to progress, then it's going to become a bigger occurrence. 

I don't know whether anyone has noticed but we have quite a cushion within the Top4 right now. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Top 4 qualification means a stronger playing squad which means more chance of a trophy .....

So we sacrifice a good chance to win a trophy this season, for the possibility of maybe winning a trophy at some point in the future?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't know much about Brentford but that they are known as a team that play good football and always seem to be there or thereabouts. 

Will be a very tough tie and certainly will be on the telly. Need a strong team for this one.

30 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I will definitely prioritise telling my grandchildren about trophies we win over where we come in the league.

Me too. Then I'll remember I haven't got any grandchildren and wonder who the bleeding 'ell I've just been talking to..,

• Haha 3

Hmm no real crowd pullers there for the TV so I suspect they will go for the usual suspects either in the hope of a hatful of goals or a shock upset. Difficult for them also because in these early rounds they could easily find themselves covering a reserve/youth team against a second/third tier side, so that would not really count as a giant killing as per the old days.  A couple of potential banana skins (including our tie) but all the top teams (assuming they get past their respective replays etc) have avoided each other. With only two definite all prem ties (plus a couple of probable's following replays) there could be as many as 11 PL clubs in the hat for the next round, although there will be  5 guaranteed lower league sides too.