Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Jannik Vestergaard

I'm a bit confused as to what folks want, exactly.  A star-caliber player (likely our most expensive transfer ever) who's willing to come in, play cup matches and fetch water for Evans and Soyuncu?  Someone to replace Evans or Soynuncu?  If not, someone like Vestergaard is about as good as you're going to find.

2 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm a bit confused as to what folks want, exactly.  A star-caliber player (likely our most expensive transfer ever) who's willing to come in, play cup matches and fetch water for Evans and Soyuncu?  Someone to replace Evans or Soynuncu?  If not, someone like Vestergaard is about as good as you're going to find.

Do you not think trying to get a back up on loan would be a better option?

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Do you not think trying to get a back up on loan would be a better option?

It's an option, sure.  But I'm not sure how many quality CBs are in a position where their clubs are looking to loan them out - who are we talking about, that's the question.  Hell, I'd imagine it's not totally out of the question that if Soton are willing to sell Vestergaard, they might be willing to loan him out.  

I'd be fine with this. Not been great for Soton, but I think Rodgers could probably improve him.

£15m for a 27-year-old backup CB is alright. That's pocket change these days.

Getting CB cover would mean Benko could go out on loan for the rest of the season to get valuable experience.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

One of the worst and immobile centre backs in the premier league... Lee Congerton effect?

We have been praised and rightly so, for our transfer dealings over the last few years. This however is the complete opposite

Is this fair?

Whenever I've seen him I thought hes looked comfortable on the ball and very good in the air. He's 4th choice effectively so I think it's a low risk signing. Hes played in a 3 a lot as well so could make sense from that perspective.

It's a meh signing but I'd prefer him over wes at this stage.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm a bit confused as to what folks want, exactly.  

They want different things, which is understandable because, at the risk of teaching grannie to suck eggs (however it came to mean what it means), folk are different people.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I'd be fine with this. Not been great for Soton, but I think Rodgers could probably improve him.

£15m for a 27-year-old backup CB is alright. That's pocket change these days.

Getting CB cover would mean Benko could go out on loan for the rest of the season to get valuable experience.

I've no opinion on Vestergaard but that's the kind of line I take with my thinking.  

He’s seen as a useful backup and the club don’t need to sell.

Which is, of course, another issue we'll face. Not just inflated prices (in fact, not even inflated prices, in the scale of things an extra £3M is nothing) but enticing someone away when offering a like-for-like role.  

3 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Is this fair?

Whenever I've seen him I thought hes looked comfortable on the ball and very good in the air. He's 4th choice effectively so I think it's a low risk signing. Hes played in a 3 a lot as well so could make sense from that perspective.

It's a meh signing but I'd prefer him over wes at this stage.

He’s huge but he can’t jump... a ball in behind, he can’t run (bearing in mind we play a high line). 
Someone quoted once he’d not scored for Southampton (might not be the case anymore) but proves he’s no good in the air. 

I think I’d prefer benkovic being given more of a chance... and Wes 

Edited by lcfceaves
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

It's an option, sure.  But I'm not sure how many quality CBs are in a position where their clubs are looking to loan them out - who are we talking about, that's the question.  Hell, I'd imagine it's not totally out of the question that if Soton are willing to sell Vestergaard, they might be willing to loan him out.  

So your logic is if we can’t buy a good Centre back lets buy a shit one? Probably why you are confused

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

So your logic is if we can’t buy a good Centre back lets buy a shit one? Probably why you are confused

I think you're confused, since you seem to think anyone who wouldn't be first team for Barca or Bayern is shit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

He’s huge but he can’t jump... a ball in behind, he can’t run (bearing in mind we play a high line). 
Someone quoted once he’d not scored for Southampton (might not be the case anymore) but proves he’s no good in the air. 

I think I’d prefer benkovic being given more if a chance... and Wes 

Benko needs to play week in week out and we're not risking that here clearly

Not the signing we have been dreaming of but we could do a lot worse for a 3rd/4th choice cb.

plus there’s the Brendan affect. He does improve players and he may well have seen something in vestergard that he feels he can work with and improve.

im still waiting for a top class winger though.

16 minutes ago, Abrasive fox said:

Benko needs to play week in week out and we're not risking that here clearly

We’ll never know how able he is to play a full season unless he has to play every week .... as you say that’s never happening here at the moment so a loan makes a lot of sense ...... his is not a normal situation....

Would rather spend a bit less on a cover centre back, will probably be 4th choice. I know we want to give Benkovic some game time by loaning him out but is it worth spending that kind of money to do it. Would rather pick some cover by signing a solid defender from the championship. Maybe a 30plus player who has some premier league experience.

If we're signing someone to play in back 3 then I hope we'd have better targets.