Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Jannik Vestergaard

If he hadn't played for Southampton you'd all be drooling over this.

We need a 4th choice defender and Benkovic needs game time to improve his game.

This isn't a case of he's going to come in and play every week. 15m for a backup that clearly offers something we lack seems like astute business. Once Wes retires (probably this summer) then we'll go for someone like Demiral or Ajer.

11 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

This isn't a case of he's going to come in and play every week. 15m for a backup that clearly offers something we lack seems like astute business. Once Wes retires (probably this summer) then we'll go for someone like Demiral or Ajer.

Your definition of "astute business" severely differs from mine. 

£15m for a 27yo CB who has already failed at one PL club doesn't strike me as "astute".

Either bring in a loanee, get a cheaper alternative, buy quality or buy potential. I'm not happy about spending big money on a player to do a job as a reserve CB who has little scope for improvement and is likely to be another player who we'll be desperate to get rid of a year or two down the line like Ghezzal, Silva or Slimani. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

Your definition of "astute business" severely differs from mine. 

£15m for a 27yo CB who has already failed at one PL club doesn't strike me as "astute".

Either bring in a loanee, get a cheaper alternative, buy quality or buy potential. I'm not happy about spending big money on a player to do a job as a reserve CB who has little scope for improvement and is likely to be another player who we'll be desperate to get rid of a year or two down the line like Ghezzal, Silva or Slimani. 

Hes not failed at Southanpton because he doesn't fit the current set up. He was one of the best defenders in the BuLi.

15m is literally **** all. We dont have a single player that I'd sell for that cheap. To come in and do a job when asked for, knowing the league and our keeper? Seems like perfectly good business to me.

27 isnt exactly old for a centre half either. Wes Morgan - arguably one of our absolute greats - didnt play Premier League football until he was 30.

This isnt a Maguire deal where we will bring him in to sell him for profit. Bring him in to do a job while we are desperately short for players until we can bring more long term defenders. Gets a thumbs up from me.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

He hasn't played for them because he's been dropped.

The only people drooling at the prospect are Saints fans.

13 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

We do need a 4th defender but Vestergaard is not the only option in the world.  You'll have to elaborate on what he offers that we lack.  Yes he's big and tall but so is Jeremy Clarkson and I wouldn't like to see him in our defence.  We can do better, easily and save ourselves £15m toward that quality signing in the summer.  He just isn't good enough and has already proven it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Hes not failed at Southanpton because he doesn't fit the current set up. He was one of the best defenders in the BuLi.

15m is literally **** all. We dont have a single player that I'd sell for that cheap. To come in and do a job when asked for, knowing the league and our keeper? Seems like perfectly good business to me.

27 isnt exactly old for a centre half either. Wes Morgan - arguably one of our absolute greats - didnt play Premier League football until he was 30.

This isnt a Maguire deal where we will bring him in to sell him for profit. Bring him in to do a job while we are desperately short for players until we can bring more long term defenders. Gets a thumbs up from me.

Some shocking deviation from the PARTY LINE here @AKCJ lol

If the Club say he will do a job, I will go with them  :thumbup:

(Especially if it’s this guy or no-one at all)

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Some shocking deviation from the PARTY LINE here @AKCJ lol

If the Club say he will do a job, I will go with them  :thumbup:

(Especially if it’s this guy or no-one at all)

Occasionally.  Just every now and then, even the club gets things wrong.  Even when you can see it coming a mile off.

download.jpeg.a0ee2f7b44e3a648c334b6d152331c32.jpeg

...This is one of those times.

17 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Was he any good before Southampton?

Built up a very good reputation at Werder Bremen and then Borussia Monchengladbach. Was seen as very good business for Southampton to get him so cheap.

Hasn't worked out for them/him since Ralf became their manager.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Built up a very good reputation at Werder Bremen and then Borussia Monchengladbach. Was seen as very good business for Southampton to get him so cheap.

Hasn't worked out for them/him since Ralf became their manager.

Admittedly, I haven't seen him play in Germany, but we play in the Premier League.  Even if he did well in Germany, he has been poor in the PL.  He may have aerial presence but he makes Maguire look quick and agile.  I always go back to this but Southampton fans on twitter can't believe their luck.

I think we need one CB and one of the quality to challenge Soyuncu and Evans.  Morgan retires at the end of the season but we will get Benkovic back if he goes out on loan.  That gives us four CBs. 

If we can't get that player in this window, we should try for a loan to tide us over, not blow £15m on a player that hasn't started in the last 12 or so games for Southampton, recently shipped nine goals and is rated poorly by their fans.  £15m might be a relatively small fee these days but if we're looking for a £40m man in the summer, that's a big chunk of it and  big chunk of any transfer budget.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, murphy said:

Me neither.  There has got to be a better option than Southampton's worst defender, surely?  Even for a loan.

What's Dragovic up to these days?

Going from Demiral to Vestergaard is like going from Rachel Riley to Lisa Riley.

Jonathan Tah £25m release clause. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

If we got him he might be ok for us? He just doesn't sound like a good fit for Southampton

I’m not having a go, please don’t take it like that, I’m just of a different opinion.

In Germany, the game is a bit slower, a bit more technical (not that he’s very technically gifted) and tactical... here, it is faster paced. If he doesn’t fit in at Southampton (with a German manager who plays similar to many teams in Germany) and he doesn’t suit a high defensive line and pressing style, how will he all of a sudden suit us...? 
If we sign him then obviously, like everyone else I’ll give a chance (and wouldn’t stoop to boo’ing him...), but I am against this just like I was Ghezzal and Inler. Everything I saw, heard/read from people who’d watched them week in week out made me think they’d have no hope in our league. Southampton fans have confirmed what I’d seen up to this point... he can’t run, he can’t jump, he’s not agile nor is he that good on the ball. I just don’t get this at all. 

7 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Only king I think 

benkovic absent from the bench today makes me wonder if we are definitely getting a CB across the line so he can go out on loan 

I think this will 100% happen imo. Going purely of rumours, I would be shocked if it’s not Vestegaard (However you spell it) which I would be disappointed in personally.

If we do sign him I would be surprised if we give him more than a two year contract, give Benko a year or two to see if he’s capable at this standard then if not it will be time to look at getting a few better options.

13 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I think this will 100% happen imo. Going purely of rumours, I would be shocked if it’s not Vestegaard (However you spell it) which I would be disappointed in personally.

If we do sign him I would be surprised if we give him more than a two year contract, give Benko a year or two to see if he’s capable at this standard then if not it will be time to look at getting a few better options.

Players don’t sign 2 year deals unless it’s the twilight of their careers ! .........

we need a competent CB to sit on our bench ......who do people expect we will attract ??

Occasionally.  Just every now and then, even the club gets things wrong.  Even when you can see it coming a mile off.

and we didnt get it more wrong than this chap.

43 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Players don’t sign 2 year deals unless it’s the twilight of their careers ! .........

we need a competent CB to sit on our bench ......who do people expect we will attract ??

We should trade up, not down.  We should sign a player to compete for a first team spot, not a squad filler.  Then we have three very good CBs competing for two (sometimes three) spots plus Benkovic to develop,

In the meantime, for the remainder of the season, look for a loan as cover.

33 minutes ago, murphy said:

We should trade up, not down.  We should sign a player to compete for a first team spot, not a squad filler.  Then we have three very good CBs competing for two (sometimes three) spots plus Benkovic to develop,

In the meantime, for the remainder of the season, look for a loan as cover.

Do you think clubs like Liverpool and Man City only sign guys they think will be in the first 11?  If you want to perform like a big club, you have to start thinking like a big club.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Do you think clubs like Liverpool and Man City only sign guys they think will be in the first 11?  If you want to perform like a big club, you have to start thinking like a big club.

That makes no sense.

You think that buying a cast off mid table CB is thinking big, but buying a CB of a similar level to Evans and Soyuncu is thinking small?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, murphy said:

If you can remember the club did not want to sign him....

CP was so adamant that he needed to sign him he did all that he could do do so.

This signing was not a club signing it was a puel signing that should not of gone ahead.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

If you can remember the club did not want to sign him....

CP was so adamant that he needed to sign him he did all that he could do do so.

This signing was not a club signing it was a puel signing that should not of gone ahead.

How do you know?  Diabate was Puel's, we know that because he said so.

I remember after Mahrez leaving Ghezzal was  after Jahkanbash and Elyounoussi in the pecking order of players we tried to sign. 

I know that Puel had worked with Ghezzal previously but by that logic, if you're going to pin Ghezzal on him then you have to credit him for Ricardo too.

Anyway, there are loads of other examples - Slim, Inler, Musa, Silva, Hernandez...

Edited by murphy

1 minute ago, TommyK said:

Ha ha do you think he gives a shit?

Would not know.  But I am asking myself wtf is he doing everyday if this is the sort of names he can come up with.  Did he watch the 0-9 I wonder??