Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Jannik Vestergaard

ROFL.  Around here you're either a global superstar or crap.

Vestergaard is not a bad central defender by any stretch.  Does he dislodge a healthy Evans or Soyuncu?  No - but he's certainly an upgrade on Morgan.  Strong as a horse, a big threat in the box and valuable against set pieces.  Starter on a national side that's perennially a qualifier for Euros and the World Cup.  That's not crap.  if you're looking for a depth piece in the 15M range, he's a solid choice.

• Sad 1

Come on, the lad has made only 23 starts in 2 seasons, that's s concern in itself as Southampton have hardly been blessed with great defenders to keep him out of the team in recent seasons.

He's not settled well here, his lack of mobility has been exposed a lot. Is this a poundland Maguire replacement? 

• Like 2

Written off already lol

He could be decent as a back up player or squad player. We'll need it for next year for sure with European games too...

£15m is a snip too. 

If you only think about the 9-0 in isolation then yeah but then that means every other player that night is shite and doesn't make sense how Southampton's form recently has dramatically changed. 

At least we're not spending £80m on a CB lol

Very underwhelming. Take him as a reserve if rodgers is desperate and we cant get anyone else as it is a position where we need to strengthen short term. 

Was good at monchengladbach but been woeful in the prem. Hopefully we can agree a loan with an option in the summer rather than spending money on him now. 

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Written off already lol

He could be decent as a back up player or squad player. We'll need it for next year for sure with European games too...

£15m is a snip too. 

If you only think about the 9-0 in isolation then yeah but then that means every other player that night is shite and doesn't make sense how Southampton's form recently has dramatically changed. 

At least we're not spending £80m on a CB lol

True, he will be 4th choice and it's not easy signing back up players as any with real quality take a lot of convincing. I still would expect better.

47 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

ROFL.  Around here you're either a global superstar or crap.

Vestergaard is not a bad central defender by any stretch.  Does he dislodge a healthy Evans or Soyuncu?  No - but he's certainly an upgrade on Morgan.  Strong as a horse, a big threat in the box and valuable against set pieces.  Starter on a national side that's perennially a qualifier for Euros and the World Cup.  That's not crap.  if you're looking for a depth piece in the 15M range, he's a solid choice.

He's not a starter though - the waning Kjær and Christensen are ahead of him. He was touted as a great prospect years ago, but he's never lived up to that - or he was just overrated. He's obviously good in the air and has decent feet, but otherwise pretty average top league player.

9 minutes ago, shen said:

He's not a starter though - the waning Kjær and Christensen are ahead of him. He was touted as a great prospect years ago, but he's never lived up to that - or he was just overrated. He's obviously good in the air and has decent feet, but otherwise pretty average top league player.

An average top league player goes for about 15 million, and that's the sort of player CL clubs have as primary bench options.

• Like 1

Remember seeing him against us in the champions league a few years back for Monchengladbach and was really impressed with him. He’s lost his way a bit at Southampton but same can be said for a lot of players during what has been a period of turmoil for them, look at someone like Armstrong who slipped by the wayside in said period and has now come out the other side of it and is playing well and scoring goals. No reason why the same can’t be the case with Vestergard, albeit at Leicester.

He’d defo improve your options at centre back in terms of cover imo and for £15m which is a snip in EPL terms I think this wouldn’t be a bad move to make at all.

Get him in now and go out and spend big on a new real first choice centre back in the summer with the carrot of having qualified for the CL and you are looking very strong overall at CB. Then you can give us Benkovic for £7m :-P 

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Remember seeing him against us in the champions league a few years back for Monchengladbach and was really impressed with him. He’s lost his way a bit at Southampton but same can be said for a lot of players during what has been a period of turmoil for them, look at someone like Armstrong who slipped by the wayside in said period and has now come out the other side of it and is playing well and scoring goals. No reason why the same can’t be the case with Vestergard, albeit at Leicester.

He’d defo improve your options at centre back in terms of cover imo and for £15m which is a snip in EPL terms I think this wouldn’t be a bad move to make at all.

Look. Don`t come around here with your "reason" and your "pragmatic appraisals".

Either grab your pitchfork and your torch, or GTFO :@

Seriously though folks, he was highly regarded, but he has been balls at Saints, so maybe.....

And who the f**k says its Congerton????? I know people are always desparate for scapegoat, but come on!! :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Look. Don`t come around here with your "reason" and your "pragmatic appraisals".

Either grab your pitchfork and your torch, or GTFO :@

Seriously though folks, he was highly regarded, but he has been balls at Saints, so maybe.....

And who the f**k says its Congerton????? I know people are always desparate for scapegoat, but come on!! :rolleyes:

Hahahahaha lol

I find this a bit of a surreal situation, not that I don't understand it.

We don't want to play Benkovic because he's not quite there yet and needs more game time, so we're looking to loan him out. He's one for the future. But we need another CB if we loan him out so we're looking to shell out on someone who won't play much, will be used only if needed, but is also reliably of sufficient quality so as not to weaken us. That probably means an experienced older player, one that's a 'make do' and maybe playing out their career (or perhaps one could optimistically say they're looking to force their way into the first team) It doesn't read much of a job spec to me! It might well suit someone I guess, someone happy to pocket a wage for training and sitting on the bench. You never know - if you don't ask, you don't get. Colour me cynical lol

I'm not saying we don't need cover at CB, it's the scenario that amuses me.

• Like 1

Saw him play 1 game for Southampton against United, he scored and he had Maguire on strings for the majority, big threat from corners and looked fairly solid. 

I can’t say I’ve seen much else of him since as he doesn’t really seem to play all that often. I’m sure he’s a fairly solid CB, Jonny Evans could make me look like a competent centre half to be honest. 

Do we need a bigger squad? Yes. Do we need cover at centre half? Yes. Would he be the best we could get? Probably not. Would he be a starter from the off? Absolutely not. Has he played in the CL? Yes. 

That’s what this stinks of to me - Brendan wants a cheap(ish) buy who has CL experience. He did the same at Liverpool when he bought Kolo (I know he isn’t at the same level as Toure, before anyone starts). 

• Like 1

Our CB pairing isn't broken so it doesn't need fixing. It simply needs cover and, longer term, an Evans replacement. "Bang average" maybe all we can get (considering what's on offer, as I outlined above) I'm assuming the long term plan is provisionally Benkovic, once he gets games under his belt, so we are only really looking at a stop gap. I'm not sure you'd find "quality" to come in under those terms. We are were we are.