Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ross 'LCFC' Turner

Jannik Vestergaard

Squad players for 15 million. Football has gone proper mad.

Even as a Dane, I am not that impressed with Jannik. He is a giant, but very slow and immobile. We do need some more physicality as times, so it kinda makes sense.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would also suggest that Benko isn't seen as a viable option. 

He’s still highly thought of but we are keen for him to go on loan in the Championship to help with his development. He’s learning nothing from playing U23 matches and occasionally sitting on the bench. 

2 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

One of the worst and immobile centre backs in the premier league... Lee Congerton effect?

We have been praised and rightly so, for our transfer dealings over the last few years. This however is the complete opposite

Robert Huth? That’s the sort of response he got when we first loaned him. He turned out ok. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If this is true, this is why we had worries over Congerton and Rodgers on recruitment. The man is garbage. One of the worst defenders in the league in the last few years.

Exactly this. Is this seriously the best we can do?

Just seems a really daft signing to me. Cannot get my head around it.

48 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

Squad players for 15 million. Football has gone proper mad.

Even as a Dane, I am not that impressed with Jannik. He is a giant, but very slow and immobile. We do need some more physicality as times, so it kinda makes sense.

We've just managed to get rid of that big slow lump McGuire, we don't need another one! 🤣

36 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Robert Huth? That’s the sort of response he got when we first loaned him. He turned out ok. 

No it wasn’t. Premier League winner and regular in the league at a time when we really needed experience, completely different.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoyFox said:

We’re only 4/5 wins away from Top 4, thanks to the inconsistency of teams below us. I’d rather we went for someone in the summer that follows the same successful model of late (21-24 years old, with upside (helped by decent coaching), and potential to threaten the starting XI CB’s long term. Plus potential for profit and reinvestment). 

experienced center backs are a must for me... we have wes and evans but not sure if Wes will be playing for another year, so  why not?

£15m isn't pocket change as some on here suggest. It isn't much less than our average net spend per season on transfers.

I'm just not a fan whatsoever in buying 27yo reserves who have no expectation of forcing their way into the first team.

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Would also suggest that Benko isn't seen as a viable option. 

Yet. Perhaps the staff think he'll be better for us down the line if he goes and gets regular games and is a little more polished? This transfer just seems like a (relatively) budget stop-gap until Benkovic is ready and Evans starts creaking a little.

Weird if we're looking at spending £15M for a 4th choice CB, when this has probably been our strongest position in the U23s over the last few seasons.  Johnson, Hughes and Knight have all been impressive (including appearances with the first team in pre-season friendlies while half the squad were away following the World Cup), so it would be nice to see at least one of them given a chance.

I think I'm right in saying that after nearly a year in charge, Brendan has yet to give a competitive debut to any of the development squad, even off the bench in the early rounds of a cup competition, as is kinda traditional. Edit: unless you consider Benkovic a member of the development squad, which I don't.

Edited by WilmslowFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I think you're confused, since you seem to think anyone who wouldn't be first team for Barca or Bayern is shit.

You mean anyone who couldn’t be first team for Southampton?

While I wouldn’t call him shit myself, there are literally hundreds of players on a sliding scale between not being first team for Barca or Bayern and not being first team for the Saints. I would suggest we keep looking or at worst get him on loan with option to buy. Overall, a most underwhelming development.

>

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Reg Vardy said:

Well if he is that crap Southampton are top half in the premiership, decent player, 100% attitude, good price, or 75m Tarkowski, Ake or Dunk......ideal with Champions league just around the corner.....gerrimin 

Except it seems they got there once they stopped playing him. :ph34r:

It just seems a pointless signing when we're going to a club who are a lesser level (temporarily at least) or historically a similar level club to us and giving them good money for one of their reserves who has already levelled on their potential. 

It would be like us selling Mendy for good money at the start of the season when he's 27 and just a squad player and forever destined to be just that. 

Edited by Gerard