Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

I completely agree - for a start it just promotes fear, unnecesary in most cases.  Secondly if fuels this left wing anti-tory rhetoric which says they are failing to provide PPE, which is also not helpful.  The fact is clinicians are using WAY more PPE than they ever have before, and the supplies are stretched.  The press banging on about it helps no one.

14 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The way things are carrying on we’ll end up with a civil war.

On one side the ‘good guys’ who follow the rules versus the ‘bad guys’ on the other side who think they can do as they please. 
A bit like Star Wars but without the light sabres.

I think lockdown is starting to take its toll.

46 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Therein lies the problem, I just dont think there's enough masks to go around. And even if there were, we are culturally undisposed to wear them en mass

And while the point about the mask providing protection for an hour is valid. I'm pretty sure you are not then supposed to reuse them. I believe they should disposed of correctly and fresh ones then used.

Genuine question for anyone who might have some scientific view, but if the virus only lives for ~ 3 days outside of a host, couldn’t masks be simply kept in isolation for a week or so and then reused, by the same person of course. Obviously there could be bacterial issues I suppose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

Well, I'm in Scraptoft, and most folk here seem to be playing by the rules at present. 

Well, you would say that wouldn't you....:ph34r:

(Sorry, only picked Scraptoft as I spent my formative years in the area...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

What absolute nonsense. This is not North Korea. People should have every right to question, scrutinise and criticise the government.

To the detriment of public panic and redirection of valuable resources? 

• Like 1

What absolute nonsense. This is not North Korea. People should have every right to question, scrutinise and criticise the government.

You try going on social media and criticising your employer and see how far that gets you.  We should hold public employees to higher standards IMO.

8 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

I think lockdown is starting to take its toll.

I mean I’m joking but...

There’s already uproar in Devon from local residents who are trying to ban second home owners from visiting their properties for a holiday during lockdown. 
People are rightly getting pissed off and angry with those who are flouting the rules and I can see a bit of civil unrest if this carries on much longer - and it will IMO

• Like 2

Sweden has a vastly different plan to us. The outcome is not much worse, so far. 

Suicide rates here increasing 40%.

Does the lock down work? Will the social/economic damage be more far reaching longer term? I think so. 

Didn't the WHO say there was no evidence that masks prevent the spread? If used incorrectly which lets face it most will, they will have no impact. People removing them to drink, eat, smoke, answer their phone etc. 

It should be fairly basic:

1. Wash your hands

2. Don't touch your face

3. Avoid confined spaces and distancing

4. Track and test, infected people not to integrate until recovered. 

5. Protect and Provide for the at/risk vulnerable. 

6. Let the fit and healthy continue economic activity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

To the detriment of public panic and redirection of valuable resources? 

What evidence do you have that either of those things are enacted by NHS workers pointing out that they aren't adequately protected?

If anything you could argue it works the other way - public panic forces the government into quicker action.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You try going on social media and criticising your employer and see how far that gets you.  We should hold public employees to higher standards IMO.

Two different things. How does stamping out whistleblowing and curtailing freedom of speech create higher standards?

• Like 3

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

I agree, we live in a free country and that requires questioning of the executive and many commentators have done that with logic, evidence and reason - they deserve to be listened toband treated seriously.

Those people that have just criticised and criticised Boris and the government non stop ever since he took over for every single thing they have done will rightly have their opinions treated as political motivated though, rather than ones of genuine scrutiny or concern.

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I mean I’m joking but...

There’s already uproar in Devon from local residents who are trying to ban second home owners from visiting their properties for a holiday during lockdown. 
People are rightly getting pissed off and angry with those who are flouting the rules and I can see a bit of civil unrest if this carries on much longer - and it will IMO

Yes mate, I know it was tongue in cheek , hence the lockdown sending you crazy post, but as you say people really are not taking this seriously and it is so infuriating. I am surprised there has been no disorder up to this point but it only takes one area to start and the whole country will descend into chaos.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Sweden has a vastly different plan to us. The outcome is not much worse, so far. 

Suicide rates here increasing 40%.

Does the lock down work? Will the social/economic damage be more far reaching longer term? I think so. 

Didn't the WHO say there was no evidence that masks prevent the spread? If used incorrectly which lets face it most will, they will have no impact. People removing them to drink, eat, smoke, answer their phone etc. 

It should be fairly basic:

1. Wash your hands

2. Don't touch your face

3. Avoid confined spaces and distancing

4. Track and test, infected people not to integrate until recovered. 

5. Protect and Provide for the at/risk vulnerable. 

6. Let the fit and healthy continue economic activity. 

If we hadn't locked down London would've been worse than anywhere in Italy. It might still be. We will see in a few years whose was the best approach, but politically there was no way the government could encourage businesses to stay open and people working when thousands of deaths were racking up. Lockdown was impossible to avoid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I agree, we live in a free country and that requires questioning of the executive and many commentators have done that with logic, evidence and reason - they deserve to be listened toband treated seriously.

Those people that have just criticised and criticised Boris and the government non stop ever since he took over for every single thing they have done will rightly have their opinions treated as political motivated though, rather than ones of genuine scrutiny or concern.

The government have made mistakes, and will continue to do so.Generally I think they have handled it well from most angles. 

We are not alone, governments left and right have made mistakes, death tolls have been large cross the globe.

This is an unprecedented global pandemic, no one could plan for this, previously we had no reason to plan for it. I think in future lessons will be learnt, for now its getting through with as few deaths as possible.Having 60000 ventilators and unlimited supplied of PPE would have been stupid and a waste in normal times. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Two different things. How does stamping out whistleblowing and curtailing freedom of speech create higher standards?

Whistleblowing is a legally protected right and there are many routes for people to do so that don't involve talking to the media.  Freedom of speach shouldn't mean scaring the hell out of the population.

What evidence do you have that either of those things are enacted by NHS workers pointing out that they aren't adequately protected?

If anything you could argue it works the other way - public panic forces the government into quicker action.

This is no slander on NHS staff.

Having to redirect resources, to maintain public order in areas which require control due to outrage based on such outbursts is hardly sensible.

Yes, there is a need to examine what happened, what went wrong, but after this is done, not during. 

It is disappointing that people need this explaining. 

1 minute ago, bovril said:

If we hadn't locked down London would've been worse than anywhere in Italy. It might still be. We will see in a few years whose was the best approach, but politically there was no way the government could encourage businesses to stay open and people working when thousands of deaths were racking up. Lockdown was impossible to avoid.

Maybe certain areas, I can understand but nationally I am not so sure.

Really international flights/travel should have been halted in January globally. I would have perhaps locked down London and Birmingham and allowed no outbound travel from those areas initially. Again, its difficult to know which approach would/could have worked best. I am however concerned for the future. 

I think the damage to jobs and as a result mental health and wellbeing will be far more damaging long term and probably cause a lot of lives to be lost over the next 5 years. 

1 minute ago, Foxin_Mad said:

The government have made mistakes, and will continue to do so.Generally I think they have handled it well from most angles. 

We are not alone, governments left and right have made mistakes, death tolls have been large cross the globe.

This is an unprecedented global pandemic, no one could plan for this, previously we had no reason to plan for it. I think in future lessons will be learnt, for now its getting through with as few deaths as possible.Having 60000 ventilators and unlimited supplied of PPE would have been stupid and a waste in normal times. 

Indeed hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I am by the way not saying no one should criticise the government, and there are many questions that need answering now and afterwards.  I just don't think it is the right thing for frontline NHS workers - who have no clue about the challenges their colleagues in say PPE procurement are facing - to come out publicly and criticise the government for it.  Firstly is isn't helpful, and secondly anecdotal stories from small numbers of the millions who work in the NHS picked up for mostly political or headline grabbing reasons is a shit way to raise issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1