Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest Fktf
8 hours ago, swanlee said:

Fair point ..... but you could, in my understanding, still become infected for example by rubbing your eye. And if you touch the mask with your hand, then the virus could still be very much on the mask and then transmitted back to the hand, or another surface, upon removal?

@Parafox makes the point further back in this thread, and as this particular individual seems to work in the NHS :appl:, I'm happy to align with their viewpoint. Far more knowledgeable in these subjects than I. To quote....

'they are utterly useless after an hour or so and are no more protective than no mask unless you are infected and then they will help prevent the release of a virus if you cough, sneeze or breathe close to another person.'

My post was a continuation of this argument. And I was in general agreement with Parafox. While I understand why people wear them, the masks annoy me a little too. I guessing a vast percentage of people who are wearing them, believe them to be a form of protection?

In my experience people are being extremely respectful and the advice we are being given about self-distancing is generally being well observed. If you are that worried about catching this thing, then stay at home, wash your hands regularly, try not to touch your face and don't make unnecessary journeys. And obviously if you do begin to show symptoms, then self-isolate.

A small number of individuals out & about with scraggly bits of dirty cloth dangling over their noses & mouths is not the panacea to this thing.

They are a form of protection - both to an individual and other people. You're right they're not going to solve the situation alone, but wearing masks would complement the existing advice and slow the spread further. Parafox has said they're good for an hour or so, which is the time we're supposed to spend outside of the home. If you're asymptomatic, they prevent you spreading the disease to others. They stop you touching most of your face, which we have been told is a route of transmission 

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, bmt said:

To be fair, none of it is opinion - apart from maybe the bit about people in flats finding it harder during lockdown. It’s just factual information.

I agree with both of your points usually just don't think that's a particularly good example of it.

Doesn't change that the idea of being a presenter of a news show is that you don't give your opinions on a subject, whether you deem that factual or not.

Although I actually take the Peter Hitchen view here - I wish they would do it more often, at least we would have it confirmed to us that almost everyone in the broadcast media holds the liberal metropolitan outlook they do.

The BBC is actually still the best of the bunch though, compared to C4 and Sky (since Goodall and Rigby took over) they are a bastion of neutrality.

2 minutes ago, Fktf said:

They are a form of protection - both to an individual and other people. You're right they're not going to solve the situation alone, but wearing masks would complement the existing advice and slow the spread further. Parafox has said they're good for an hour or so, which is the time we're supposed to spend outside of the home. If you're asymptomatic, they prevent you spreading the disease to others. They stop you touching most of your face, which we have been told is a route of transmission 

Therein lies the problem, I just dont think there's enough masks to go around. And even if there were, we are culturally undisposed to wear them en mass

And while the point about the mask providing protection for an hour is valid. I'm pretty sure you are not then supposed to reuse them. I believe they should disposed of correctly and fresh ones then used.

Guest Markyblue
12 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

lol eh? Did you actually listen to it?

Yes i listened to it ,why would i be commentating on it if i hadn't 🤔 , I'm sorry my opinion differs from yours but hey thats life, stay safe.

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

Doesn't change that the idea of being a presenter of a news show is that you don't give your opinions on a subject, whether you deem that factual or not.

Although I actually take the Peter Hitchen view here - I wish they would do it more often, at least we would have it confirmed to us that almost everyone in the broadcast media holds the liberal metropolitan outlook they do.

The BBC is actually still the best of the bunch though, compared to C4 and Sky (since Goodall and Rigby took over) they are a bastion of neutrality.

Yeah fair points, and should probably be left to the guests. I don’t have too much of a problem with biased news reporting though, not because I think it’s right (which I don’t), just because I think it’s so common. Happy even for a public broadcast newsreader to occasionally have a human moment, as long as the bias isn’t a consistent institutional bias. Aware others will disagree.

11 minutes ago, murphy said:

:facepalm:

We're doomed.  What hope is there unless we can come up with a vaccine for stupid!

This is why I think lockdown is going to have to be harsher and longer. My mum was telling me of someone she knows who is in her 80s and planning on going to the seaside this weekend with her boyfriend. Madness 

Guest Markyblue
2 minutes ago, bmt said:

This is why I think lockdown is going to have to be harsher and longer. My mum was telling me of someone she knows who is in her 80s and planning on going to the seaside this weekend with her boyfriend. Madness 

Wont let anyone in the old bill are turning everyone away,  even skeggy😀

8 minutes ago, bmt said:

That's mental. Boyfriend at 80?

9 minutes ago, bmt said:

How old's her boyfriend?

I can understand people maybe being tempted by a local park etc thinking they will get away with it if they social distance but who on earth thinks a trip to the seaside is a good idea? Nothing is open anyway.

I love a walk down the coast as much as anyone but its just ridiculous. I live on the coast and I haven't been to the promenade in 4 weeks.

Maybe BoJo's own personal experience of this virus will result in the government being more stringent in its lock-down measures than we've seen thus far, especially if the daily death toll shows little sign of slowing down significantly. One study suggests that lock-downs across the world should continue until an effective vaccine is produced. As regards dating old ladies, why not?

The way things are carrying on we’ll end up with a civil war.

On one side the ‘good guys’ who follow the rules versus the ‘bad guys’ on the other side who think they can do as they please. 
A bit like Star Wars but without the light sabres.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

The way things are carrying on we’ll end up with a civil war.

On one side the ‘good guys’ who follow the rules versus the ‘bad guys’ on the other side who think they can do as they please. 
A bit like Star Wars but without the light sabres.

I can see it now

3vyz34.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bmt said:

In fairness it’s not everyday that Wayne Rooney takes you to the seaside.