Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

22 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Haven't been out at all this week. Had a couple of migraines on Saturday and Tuesday so decided to sack it off for a few days. Might go tonight, will be the first time in a week.

I haven't been out for 2 weeks :(

Achilles is proper fvcked and I've tried stretching, massage, ice, everything but it's still shagged. 

Feel lethargic and unfit but it is what it is. Hope you have a good run tonight :thumbup:

Anyone got any tips for avoiding the post run munchies?

I've lost a lot of weight since lockdown but in the last 2 weeks or so I am definitely feeling a lot hungrier, especially after a run, and there's the temptation to stuff yourself immediately afterwards and undo all your hard work! Actually this happened to me last year, I went running every day for 6 months in the gym but hardly lost any weight as it turns out having some Pop Tarts after the run wasn't such a good idea! I've found that mixing in weight and strength training is the key to losing weight whilst running a lot, but as I say I am a bit concerned that I am feeling peckish all the time.

Hi guys, 

Just signed up to the forum - long time reader, first time poster!

I'm trying to get into a routine with running at the moment, and by working from home I have a lot more time either side of the working day, which has made things a lot easier.

I'm using the Couch to 5K app at the moment, just coming to the end of Week 3. Doing okay so far but it looks like things are about to get much tougher. Anyone else using the app and reached a similar stage to me? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastStand42 said:

Hi guys, 

I'm trying to get into a routine with running at the moment, and by working from home I have a lot more time either side of the working day, which has made things a lot easier.

I'm using the Couch to 5K app at the moment, just coming to the end of Week 3. Doing okay so far but it looks like things are about to get much tougher. Anyone else using the app and reached a similar stage to me? 

Welcome along and you are very welcome to join our Strava app

my wife (some time back now) used it and eventually bagged a half marathon…. Follow the guidance and build it up as it instructs you to…

the step of continuous running 5km may appear daunting, but, dig deep and you’ll be fine…. It really is the gateway distance to go further and faster (all in time!)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Been resting a ropey knee for a few days (and feeling a few sniffles) but thought I'd have a real crack at trying to break a sub-hour 10k. Sadly didn't quite manage it but...

10K PB - 1h + 44s

5K PB - 30m + 20s

2mile PB - 19m + 6s

Small victories in life go a long way.

Might treat myself to a takeaway tonight.

Your 10k PB being only 4 seconds more than your 5k PB doubled is remarkably consistent, nice running! Keep that up and you'll easily get sub30, and sub 1h will follow soon as well. Particularly if you've managed those time after not being 100% in the buildup. You've earned that takeaway, enjoy :D 

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, EastStand42 said:

Hi guys, 

I’ve not long finished it! It’s a great motivation tool. 

6 hours ago, Xen said:

Your 10k PB being only 4 seconds more than your 5k PB doubled is remarkably consistent, nice running! Keep that up and you'll easily get sub30, and sub 1h will follow soon as well. Particularly if you've managed those time after not being 100% in the buildup. You've earned that takeaway, enjoy :D 

I deliberately chose a route that was largely upwards for the first 5k and largely downwards for the second 5k, thinking that I could make up time on the home stretch.

Didn't work that way at all which was really baffling.

Usually I aim for distance over pace but today was the first time I deliberately targetted 10k and a certain time.

I must be running quicker and/or the walking bits in between the runs are getting shorter.

I really don't know much about running but it's an experience finding out.

And seeing how everyone else here is getting is really useful and I appreciate that.

18 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I've lost a lot of weight since lockdown but in the last 2 weeks or so I am definitely feeling a lot hungrier, especially after a run, and there's the temptation to stuff yourself immediately afterwards and undo all your hard work! Actually this happened to me last year, I went running every day for 6 months in the gym but hardly lost any weight as it turns out having some Pop Tarts after the run wasn't such a good idea! I've found that mixing in weight and strength training is the key to losing weight whilst running a lot, but as I say I am a bit concerned that I am feeling peckish all the time.

To be fair, the runs you go on will burn somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 calories, that's like having a full day's allowance again. I wouldn't feel too bad eating a lot on run days if I was you. Although maybe I would replace Pop Tarts with something more nutritional!!!

After longer runs (and in fact any decent distance runs) I feel hungry for the remainder of the day. However, I tend to eat "good" stuff to refuel me. Although when I am about to go on a run, I will often have something sugary like sweets/cake or similar. If you eat the right things though you shouldn't feel peckish for too long. You should definitely be losing/maintaining a good weight running as much as you do unless you literally pig out every day, so you'll be fine.

And the strength training is exactly the right combination for it. Running (or cardio) in general will only get you so far without strength training to mix in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

To be fair, the runs you go on will burn somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 calories, that's like having a full day's allowance again. I wouldn't feel too bad eating a lot on run days if I was you. Although maybe I would replace Pop Tarts with something more nutritional!!!

After longer runs (and in fact any decent distance runs) I feel hungry for the remainder of the day. However, I tend to eat "good" stuff to refuel me. Although when I am about to go on a run, I will often have something sugary like sweets/cake or similar. If you eat the right things though you shouldn't feel peckish for too long. You should definitely be losing/maintaining a good weight running as much as you do unless you literally pig out every day, so you'll be fine.

And the strength training is exactly the right combination for it. Running (or cardio) in general will only get you so far without strength training to mix in.

Thanks for the reply!

Yep Pop Tarts need to go in the bin... they are so tasty though!!! lol

20 hours ago, MustardTiger said:

I was in a rut the past two- three weeks. I could barely get myself out of the door and around a 5k circuit.

I go out Tuesday and at the start of what was going to be another "get out and get at least something done" jog I decide to just go for it and I end up running a PB 10km.

Now I feel like a rocket again, strange how elusively motivation waxes and wanes. If anyone here feels like I did last week, don't give up, your next PB might be just around the corner.

I’m struggling a bit for motivation at the moment. I usually run as part of a running club and their social running group - I don’t particularly enjoy solo running.

at the start of the month, I signed up to the Miles For Mind challenge and set myself 50 miles for the month. I have found that this is making me get out for a run, even if I dont really fancy it.

22 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Welcome along and you are very welcome to join our Strava app

my wife (some time back now) used it and eventually bagged a half marathon…. Follow the guidance and build it up as it instructs you to…

the step of continuous running 5km may appear daunting, but, dig deep and you’ll be fine…. It really is the gateway distance to go further and faster (all in time!)

Great, thanks - I'll look into that.

I've been using these Healthy at Home resources on the LRS website too. They've been a massive help on the days where I can't pluck up the motivation to get outdoors.

Link here for anyone interested - https://bit.ly/2WYvgmr

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

Since lockdown, I’ve started running 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday....however every week without a doubt, Fridays are always the toughest runs for me. I can’t quite put my finger on it.....anyone else here feel end of the week runs are harder?

Here's an idea...

Start your running week on a Wednesday so that the following Monday is the last run of your running week and see if that makes a difference :D

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Like 1

On 14/05/2020 at 12:02, StriderHiryu said:

I think the best time to eat is within 45 minutes of your exercise. Just make sure it includes good quality protein. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, pds said:

Can you log walks on this? Can't run cos of my knees but been trying to do a fair bit of walking.

You can log walks on strava but they don't add on to the foxestalk group. Only running counts on that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

Since lockdown, I’ve started running 3 times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday....however every week without a doubt, Fridays are always the toughest runs for me. I can’t quite put my finger on it.....anyone else here feel end of the week runs are harder?

I normally found Monday's were bad for me. Probably all depends on what your routine is. Right now I am actually pretty consistent.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2020 at 18:14, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 said:

Quite simply harder because it’s your third run in five days. Sunday’s are my best because I have two days rest as opposed to normally one 

• Like 1

6 miles yday in just about  45-47 minutes. ( I don't tend to stopwatch times until close to a race!). I can tell by the pain this morning it was a good pace and not bad considering I hit 49 yday.

People must keep finding a positive in a run at ALL times. If you go for a run but didn't get s PB or didn't do the amount you wanted you Must think that ATLEAST you DID get out and run. NEVER EVER best yourself up about times/length of run. You did it- that's the main thing

• Like 3