Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
80footgiraffe

Summer 2020 transfer window

5 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

It’s that sort of snooty nosed, snob like attitude that saw Palace miss out on VVD for the tune of £8m.

Thankfully, your scouting system and those running the club aren’t so narrow minded given the £19m bid that was rejected for McGregor in the summer.

I’d imagine it would be things like McGregor dominating Milenkovic-Savic on his own turf, against the side that are second in Serie A, a player who has been linked with Europe’s top teams for in the region of £100m that will make them believe he’s a good option as opposed to run of the mill SPFL games.

So if Mcgregor’s that good that he can ‘dominate’ these sort of players why is it only ever Leicester thats linked with him? I personally would be very miffed if we get in the champions league and spend a whole window chasing Celtic players.. should be aiming so much higher. 

... I really think there should be a decision made regarding Tielemans!! 

He has failed to perform consistently for Monaco and now it is happening here.... just what is going on with him. This is not just a loss of form there must be underlying problems and the club needs to address it as we can not rely on him to deliver. 

Mcgregor would be a good replacement in respect of technicalty, experience and most importantly leadership. 

Watching Mendy against West Ham it was noticeable the difference a player picking the ball up deep and bringing it forward would make to the team. Puel always discouraged him to break forward and wanted him to sit where his natural inclination was to carry the ball forward to start an attack. 

We need someone to bring the ball out and Tielemans can't do it so get Mcgregor in. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

It’s that sort of snooty nosed, snob like attitude that saw Palace miss out on VVD for the tune of £8m.

Thankfully, your scouting system and those running the club aren’t so narrow minded given the £19m bid that was rejected for McGregor in the summer.

I’d imagine it would be things like McGregor dominating Milenkovic-Savic on his own turf, against the side that are second in Serie A, a player who has been linked with Europe’s top teams for in the region of £100m that will make them believe he’s a good option as opposed to run of the mill SPFL games.

So just because there’s been a handful of half decent players to come out of the SPL, admittedly including probably the best defender in world football at the moment, football fans/scouts/managers are supposed to ignore the fact that the majority of players to come down from Scotland have been shite? 

Also, Palace didn’t sign him because they believed him to be too inexperienced and slow (ironically) not because he played in Scotland.

18 minutes ago, TJB-fox said:

So just because there’s been a handful of half decent players to come out of the SPL, admittedly including probably the best defender in world football at the moment, football fans/scouts/managers are supposed to ignore the fact that the majority of players to come down from Scotland have been shite? 

Also, Palace didn’t sign him because they believed him to be too inexperienced and slow (ironically) not because he played in Scotland.

Again it’s opinions mate, that’s one way to look at it but most players we have sold to the EPL in the last decade have done relatively well. No other club sells players at that level from Scotland anymore, bar McGinn, another who has been successful in the EPL (via the championship), now being talked about for £40-50m when he could have been gotten for £3m 18 months ago. That’s kinda my point, there’s diamonds in the rough and bargains to be had for relatively low financial risk.

I’m under no illusions in regards how poor Scottish football is, I just think it’s short sighted to turn your nose up at it, particularly when shopping in so called stronger leagues in recent years such as Portugal and at times France has been a disaster for you guys.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ajer McGregor Edouard all good players, even though @henrik_62 is not mentioning Ajer (why?) and all would be worthwhile should we be able land  a CL place.

Ajer I think has potential but he’s regressed a fair bit this season, based on his performances and the money spoke about previously (£20m) I wouldn’t go near him at the moment if I were you guys. The sure things in our squad who could go down and thrive in the EPL are without much doubt are Edouard and McGregor.

Beyond those two there a clutch of riskier players in that regard who I think it could go either way should they move to a top league are guys like Forrest, Christie (at the moment) and Ajer.

Frimpong if he keeps going the way he is could be one of the best we’ve sold on in a long time, won’t say produced as we got him from Man City due to a fortunate series of events and our long standing relationship with them.

• Thanks 1

Edouard, Telles, Idrassi(sp?) And Dean Henderson. 

in fact I would go all out for Hendo and we could probably get him for £25 million. 

He will be England number 1 soon enough and he 'fits' our signing profile. Man United just signed some kid from Southend too honestly cant see him making it there. Yeah Sheff Utd have a great chance of getting him but realistically Leicester or Sheff Utd? Not a hard one. 

maybe take a look at Bunedia too

Edited by Ashley

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Ajer McGregor Edouard all good players, even though @henrik_62 is not mentioning Ajer (why?) and all would be worthwhile should we be able land  a CL place.

Not a single one of them would get in our first 11 IMO. We should be going out looking for players to improve the first 11 and take us to the next level. 

Just now, South Shire Fox said:

Not a single one of them would get in our first 11 IMO. We should be going out looking for players to improve the first 11 and take us to the next level. 

That’s not the only thing we will need, but Edouard would fit like a glove I think and matches the type of signings we often make, sure Henrik will put in a good word for us...

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

That’s not the only thing we will need, but Edouard would fit like a glove I think and matches the type of signings we often make, sure Henrik will put in a good word for us...

Ive no doubt hes a good player but do we really need him? We play with one upfront (usually) and weve got a more then capable replacement in Kelechi. Should be looking at a tricky direct winger and abit of physicality at CM imo.

1 minute ago, South Shire Fox said:

Ive no doubt hes a good player but do we really need him? We play with one upfront (usually) and weve got a more then capable replacement in Kelechi. Should be looking at a tricky direct winger and abit of physicality at CM imo.

Probably at some point over the next 2-3 seasons, as Vardy will become more of a bit part player.

4 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

I agree with the winger and CM but these past few months have hopefully made us aware that Vardy can’t play every match at his age now, especially if we make Europe. I hope he can come back from this poor form but either way we need to plan for his successor now. Iheanacho isn’t the answer.

14 minutes ago, South Shire Fox said:

I get that to a point but there’s also the argument succession planning for life without Vardy may be something that has to happen at some point.

• Like 1

Justin, Praet, Tielemans, Perez and Bennett. Not a single player associated with Rodgers in any way.

Crap papers yield crap rumours. Typical lazy journalism connecting Rodgers with his former players. I don't think we're in for any of them for all kinds of reasons.

49 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Justin, Praet, Tielemans, Perez and Bennett. Not a single player associated with Rodgers in any way.

Crap papers yield crap rumours. Typical lazy journalism connecting Rodgers with his former players. I don't think we're in for any of them for all kinds of reasons.

I don’t think you can file this one under that same bracket tbh given rodgers actually bid for this player in the summer and rumours in Glasgow have been rife for approaching a year now that both Rodgers and the player are keen for the move. It’s not unfounded for the simple reason alone that he has tried to sign McGregor less than a year ago. All the others, Ajer etc I agree can be put down to lazy journalism.

Furthermore, just about every club he’s been at he’s signed at least one player he’s worked with before.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

Players we should look to sign from relegation candidates.

Callum wilson.

Cantwell

Doucore

Cresswell

Lanzini or Felipe Anderson.

Ake

Dunk.

Not that they will all go down but all potentially could some good players there that we could snipe.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

It isn't snob like to believe that a team sitting 3rd in the toughest league in world football have at least 4 Midfielders that are better than McGregor, who plays in a standard of league equivalent to our league one. I will believe he is good enough if and when he proves it in a better league. It's a big step up in quality though, and for every success story, there are 10 or more failures. Personally, I think we should be aiming higher. 

• Sad 1