Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
80footgiraffe

Summer 2020 transfer window

38 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He would hit the ground running I am sure , we would probably get him for less than the fee for Ben as he is four years older . If Chilwell returns to best form though he would not be needed.

Frankfurt are such a strange club. They got very good money for Jovic and Haller but then loaned Rebic out to Milan for 2 years, so we might be able to get Kostic for under £30m. It's a toss up between him and Telles for me and also bringing in another winger to compete with the squad.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Leipzig are a different proposition to Liverpool surely? The latter have always had the pull of being one of the most prestigious clubs in the world, even when they were a bit pony - and can sell pretty average players for very decent cash based on having them on their CV alone. 

I don't think the issue is that the players Leipzig sell are surplus to requirements, more that they lose good players when their stock is highest (and rising) and replace them with a few unpolished diamonds. If anything it's the bracket we want to be operating in if / when we likely lose players like Maddison etc.

I wouldn't be wary of buying from them, I know they're no misers but there's no reason why we can't be one of the clubs poaching from them given the cash in this league.

For sure Leipzig aren't anything like Liverpool's size but they've progressed at a rapid rate - largely through strong investment and clever dealings in the transfer window (save paying £14mil for Oliver Burke). I'm not necessarily saying Forsberg is a bad player but I don't think he's leaving them because he's too good for them, such as say Timo Werner, but I think they're probably selling him because he's shown signs of declining - he hasn't started a league game for them since 9th November.

It's akin to us selling Albrighton now for a decent amount of money - you would do it if you could.

By no means am I saying he's rubbish but I'm not sure this would be all some are cracking it up to be as a signing.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 1

Forsberg is looking at leaving RB Leipzig, as mentioned above.

I think he'd be a class signing for our midfield. Just what we need in terms of competition for places, and he needs a fresh start someplace else.

Some of our youngsters have become a bit too comfortable holding on to their place in the squad lately...

Edited by MC Prussian

On 26/02/2020 at 12:17, Dan LCFC said:

It's a very tough balancing act - Spurs have exactly this problem with Kane. If Kane's fit, he plays, if Kane's not even fully fit, he usually plays, what good striker that can fill his boots when he's injured is going to sit around and accept that? We've got a similar situation with Vardy and Iheanacho for the first time in two and a half years actually looks like he can fill this role. To be fair to Iheanacho there's a genuine case for him to start over Vardy at the minute.

I don't think attack is our problem, I think lack of wide man creativity and goal threat is a problem, lack of midfield running is a problem*, and lack of centre halves** is a problem.

* I keep coming back to this but Liverpool's midfield. People so often call them individually poor but they manage to dominate games and shut others out. We simply don't do this enough, Ndidi is the only one who could do that. Our midfield barely got a kick against Liverpool. You can accept not dominating them in midfield but we got completely schooled, I just think we need an alternative in there who may show up in those types of games, Maddison and in-particular Tielemans were total passengers against them.

** Not so much a problem right now as Bennett will suffice for the next three months in terms of numbers but given his tendency to go to a back three every now and then I wouldn't mind another option. I thought that Robin Koch would've been a shrewd buy.

The very big difference here is that Kane of course is 26 and Vardy 33. Like it or not, Vardy has probably got 1/2 seasons left and, despite his current renaissance, is Iheanacho really going to be that 20 goal a season replacement? Even then, Spurs have two class strikers in Kane and Son but with both them injured they're currently knackered. Vardy can't play all competitions next season even if injury free. Top 4 in the Premiership has to be the aim again as well as a good showing in Europe. I really don't see Iheanacho and Perez as enough and doubt the latters ability anywhere on the team but Iheanacho is far the better prospect of the two. We badly need a striker as well as a winger.

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

The very big difference here is that Kane of course is 26 and Vardy 33. Like it or not, Vardy has probably got 1/2 seasons left and, despite his current renaissance, is Iheanacho really going to be that 20 goal a season replacement? Even then, Spurs have two class strikers in Kane and Son but with both them injured they're currently knackered. Vardy can't play all competitions next season even if injury free. Top 4 in the Premiership has to be the aim again as well as a good showing in Europe. I really don't see Iheanacho and Perez as enough and doubt the latters ability anywhere on the team but Iheanacho is far the better prospect of the two. We badly need a striker as well as a winger.

Probably true I suppose. I'd still rank the other positions as a priority but it's a fair argument for buying another striker. David is sounding like a good fit.

• Like 1

said we should've signed Smalling from Manure last summer, think even moreso now that he's the CB we should get for our triumvirate. And he'd probably join us now.

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Frankfurt are such a strange club. They got very good money for Jovic and Haller but then loaned Rebic out to Milan for 2 years, so we might be able to get Kostic for under £30m. It's a toss up between him and Telles for me and also bringing in another winger to compete with the squad.

Always thought that was absolute suicide given the attacking threat they lost in Jovic and Haller.  Andre Silva has flopped at them and can't remember the other lads name, Pacienca (sp) maybe, the guy with the man bun, couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo the few times I've watched them this season.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FIF said:

said we should've signed Smalling from Manure last summer, think even moreso now that he's the CB we should get for our triumvirate. And he'd probably join us now.

Have heard worse shouts tbh and he's done very well at Roma this yearand although no world beater he's good at the basics of defending and proven at EPL level. I've always felt a bit sorry for Smalling as his game has suffered for years with having to man mark Phil Jones as well as the opposition striker.

• Haha 2

Guest An Sionnach
39 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Have heard worse shouts tbh and he's done very well at Roma this yearand although no world beater he's good at the basics of defending and proven at EPL level. I've always felt a bit sorry for Smalling as his game has suffered for years with having to man mark Phil Jones as well as the opposition striker.

They had Evans and Smalling and thought they could do better : bad mistake.

Arnaud Lusamba, good mates with Youri, and we are tying up loose ends.....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8056905/Leicester-closing-free-transfer-Nice-midfielder-Arnaud-Lusamba.html

....or it’s The Mail , and I told you before @SO1, it’s from News Now, honest.

Edited by Dahnsouff

I watched AZ vs Ajax last night (sad I know) Idrissi was superb, Stengs efficient but not quite as lethal as I've seen him before and Boadu will be a very good striker. I want all 3 in by the start of the Euros please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Onions said:

Daniel Sturridge free Agent after being released from Trabzonspor. 

Played immense under Rodgers back in the days, 35 goals 47 games over 3 seasons. Rodgers clearly knows the lad.

Worth a punt?

Wouldn’t be able to join until the summer

Whoever we buy up top/out wide I really hope we get someone with a bit of physicality who can head the ball.

The amount of times we put a ball into the box (or choose not to from good positions) and the only player in there is Vards or Nacho it drives me up the wall.

With Ndidi out, our only real aerial presence are our CBs. We need that bit of physicality at the top end of the pitch.

• Like 1

Heard a coach talk about him once saying he has to be 100% fit to play. He won’t ply with any sort of niggle. I assume most players have some minor issue week in week out so I think there’s a risk of paying him to sit around waiting to be happy to play