Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
80footgiraffe

Summer 2020 transfer window

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I do, likewise Edouard but is there room for another striker of that calibre with Vardy and Iheanacho revitalised? I would loathe to mug Kelechi off after the way he has regrouped and rediscovered his confidence at the highest level. Maybe that's a lack of ambition to think that way, if we get top 4 we have to be ruthless at times in our forward planning. I suppose Osimhen can play a variety of positions which makes the signings more plausible.

It's a very tough balancing act - Spurs have exactly this problem with Kane. If Kane's fit, he plays, if Kane's not even fully fit, he usually plays, what good striker that can fill his boots when he's injured is going to sit around and accept that? We've got a similar situation with Vardy and Iheanacho for the first time in two and a half years actually looks like he can fill this role. To be fair to Iheanacho there's a genuine case for him to start over Vardy at the minute.

I don't think attack is our problem, I think lack of wide man creativity and goal threat is a problem, lack of midfield running is a problem*, and lack of centre halves** is a problem.

* I keep coming back to this but Liverpool's midfield. People so often call them individually poor but they manage to dominate games and shut others out. We simply don't do this enough, Ndidi is the only one who could do that. Our midfield barely got a kick against Liverpool. You can accept not dominating them in midfield but we got completely schooled, I just think we need an alternative in there who may show up in those types of games, Maddison and in-particular Tielemans were total passengers against them.

** Not so much a problem right now as Bennett will suffice for the next three months in terms of numbers but given his tendency to go to a back three every now and then I wouldn't mind another option. I thought that Robin Koch would've been a shrewd buy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

He is just the sort of powerful, direct forward we really need. Of course he has to start he would never be satisfied just coming on from the bench .

He’s an average height winger, what are you on about?

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

By the way if we're the club who pays £30mil for Harry Wilson we need county wide protests.

I think Wilson is half-decent but no more than that, he's your archetypical EPL youngster though who will be hugely overpriced because he's young and is at a top club, as you allude to £30m or whatever would be nuts for him.  I have a fear Rodgers may do it though as he tried to get him at Celtic on loan twice and obviously would have known a lot about him at Liverpool when he was manager there and Wilson was younger.

5 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

By the way if we're the club who pays £30mil for Harry Wilson we need county wide protests.

3 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

I think Wilson is half-decent but no more than that, he's your archetypical EPL youngster though who will be hugely overpriced because he's young and is at a top club, as you allude to £30m or whatever would be nuts for him.  I have a fear Rodgers may do it though as he tried to get him at Celtic on loan twice and obviously would have known a lot about him at Liverpool when he was manager there and Wilson was younger.

FFS. It’s this sort of attitude that caused us to miss out on Jordan Ibe,

ahem

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

What difference is he to Harvey apart from being smaller? We need more power.

He's established himself as an elite scorer and playmaker at the highest levels of club and international competition?  Apart from that yeah, not much difference.

Edited by Deeg67

Guest An Sionnach
5 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

He's established himself as an elite scorer and playmaker at the highest levels of club and international competition?  Apart from that yeah, not much difference.

He's scored a few more than Harvey this season but he has played very little for Liverpool and I ask why? He's not bad but not different enough for me.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

He's scored a few more than Harvey this season but he has played very little for Liverpool and I ask why? He's not bad but not different enough for me.

Oops, sorry - thought we were still talking about Forsberg, ROFL.

If it's Wilson I think you're more or less right, though one could argue Wilson's style is a better fit for our lineup right now that Barnes'.

2 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Yes as we have shown since Christmas without a fully firing Vardy we don't scored enough goals.

Vardy is and still will be our number 1 striker for at least the next 18 months. In a team playing only 1 up top the majority of the time it will be very difficult to have 3 top level strikers like Vardy, Iheanacho and Osimhen. I'd be surprised if he'd even come here with the potential of not being first choice. We have struggled for goals and Vardy definitely is the obvious reason but we need more goals from out wide and central midfield too.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Vardy is and still will be our number 1 striker for at least the next 18 months. In a team playing only 1 up top the majority of the time it will be very difficult to have 3 top level strikers like Vardy, Iheanacho and Osimhen. I'd be surprised if he'd even come here with the potential of not being first choice. We have struggled for goals and Vardy definitely is the obvious reason but we need more goals from out wide and central midfield too.

Maybe true, however even though his much improved I'm yet to be convinced that Nacho can play as a lone front man.

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

Maybe true, however even though his much improved I'm yet to be convinced that Nacho can play as a lone front man.

Maybe someone like Jonathan David from Gent would be the ideal signing, he's just turned 20 and is in blistering form. Seems to be able to play anywhere from attacking midfield, to support striker, to out wide to being the number 9. Not sure how he fits in to our current system but would give us another option.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Yeah I mean he's not the worst player in the world but he's just mediocre, and by pouring another thirty million into Liverpool for a player they won't ever use you just strengthen them further as well. Bournemouth have got a lot of responsibility for Liverpool's improvement.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

Yeah I mean he's not the worst player in the world but he's just mediocre, and by pouring another thirty million into Liverpool for a player they won't ever use you just strengthen them further as well. Bournemouth have got a lot of responsibility for Liverpool's improvement.

Yeah i'd rather not fund Liverpool's purchase of Timo Werner for the same ****ing price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe someone like Jonathan David from Gent would be the ideal signing, he's just turned 20 and is in blistering form. Seems to be able to play anywhere from attacking midfield, to support striker, to out wide to being the number 9. Not sure how he fits in to our current system but would give us another option.

I agree, can see us going for prospects and then the odd cheap option to ensure we are not blowing money. Someone like david then fraser would mean we get two new wingers for about 20m. 

• Like 1

I think it’s safe to say Brendan sees Pérez as that third option as a striker so not sure it’s a priority position. But depends if Brendan wants to attempt 352/532 at some point next year then I’d argue we need Morelos or Edouard to come in.

Forsberg would be interesting, we’d get Atleast 3-4 years out of him and not at a high cost. Kostic and Rashica are of particular interest to me, kostic due to his flexibility to play either leftback or on the wing, whilst Rashica can play anywhere In the attacking positions and seems to produce the goods whilst being at an age we’re known for buying players at 25>

16 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

I think it’s safe to say Brendan sees Pérez as that third option as a striker so not sure it’s a priority position. But depends if Brendan wants to attempt 352/532 at some point next year then I’d argue we need Morelos or Edouard to come in.

Forsberg would be interesting, we’d get Atleast 3-4 years out of him and not at a high cost. Kostic and Rashica are of particular interest to me, kostic due to his flexibility to play either leftback or on the wing, whilst Rashica can play anywhere In the attacking positions and seems to produce the goods whilst being at an age we’re known for buying players at 25>

Kostic would be class here, Rebic would have been too but think Milan have signed him permanently now?

The reality is we cant shop in the same places as big boys or those on a resurgence. Champions League qualification showed that before. Well have a network digging wider and more sensibly than the likes of Ziyech who would never have touched us.

We want people who want to be here, not quick pay cheques thanks...

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Leipzig are very well run. I'm weary of buying from them. Well run clubs know exactly when to sell. See also Liverpool.

Leipzig are a different proposition to Liverpool surely? The latter have always had the pull of being one of the most prestigious clubs in the world, even when they were a bit pony - and can sell pretty average players for very decent cash based on having them on their CV alone. 

I don't think the issue is that the players Leipzig sell are surplus to requirements, more that they lose good players when their stock is highest (and rising) and replace them with a few unpolished diamonds. If anything it's the bracket we want to be operating in if / when we likely lose players like Maddison etc.

I wouldn't be wary of buying from them, I know they're no misers but there's no reason why we can't be one of the clubs poaching from them given the cash in this league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

If we kept Fuchs and bought Kostic in then that’d be great for the 3 at the back system. Kostic would be a much better wing back than Chilwell for us imo from what I’ve seen of him. Not sure in a flat back 4 though how he’d do. 

Kostic is one of the best wing backs I've seen, especially if he had a left footed centre half covering him like Nathan Ake....

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Kostic is one of the best wing backs I've seen, especially if he had a left footed centre half covering him like Nathan Ake....

He would hit the ground running I am sure , we would probably get him for less than the fee for Ben as he is four years older . If Chilwell returns to best form though he would not be needed.