Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
80footgiraffe

Summer 2020 transfer window

21 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Talk of Liverpool and United looking at Cantwell from Norwich.  We should be all over this given the Maddison talk, keep the conveyor belt moving...

I don't think I could cope with the cringey celebration he does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Nothing cheeky about it. They threw our season into chaos on purpose in 2018 because they wanted Mahrez but we wouldn't let him leave on their terms.

We should take the absolute piss and bid for everyone.

Lol not a single first team man city player would consider Leicester champions league or not.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Lol not a single first team man city player would consider Leicester champions league or not.

And that is exactly the sort of thinking that perpetuates the drivel spouted by so many so called pundits when talking about the "big" teams.

Assuming the ban sticks, what, apart from massive wages (Ok its a big factor - conceded) will Man City have to offer these players, particularly if the PL/FA also impose sanctions such as a points deduction?

A CL medal is probably the only gap in most of their squads honours list, who is to say that the lure of CL may be sufficient for some  of them to take a pay cut (they are all multi-millionaires already) ?

Obviously we, or other clubs like us, could not pay those sorts of wages, even if we could actually afford it, as that is, in part, what has landed them in this situation in the first place.

Some of these players may have no choice in the matter either. if Man city continue to pay over-inflated wages, then they will continue to breach FFP rules. They may be forced into a fire sale to balance the books.

There are several of their big names that have contracts that will expire before the ban ends.  Man city could well look to sell some on or risk losing them on a Bosman.

Probably ain't gonna happen but will be an interesting one to watch.

We don't necessarily need some giant midfielder but more just somebody with a bit of aggression about them. There's something very Arsenal latter years under Wenger about us - which is obviously good in some ways but bad in others.

I'm not saying I'd sign him necessarily as he'd cost a lot but I think someone like Doucoure strengthens us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Not with that attitude!

He’s right though ....

of course there could be the odd player on the way out age wise or youngster not yet properly established but in general, their squad is not going to sit at our table - and I really don’t see an exodus of players from there in any case ....

Last summer I would have been very reluctant to sell Chilwell, but I'm fine with it now if I'm honest.

He's obviously still young, but he hasn't shown any sign of progressing further in his development this year. In fact I'd make the case that he's the only one of our younger players who has failed to improve under Rodgers, which in itself is a bit of a worry.

His weaknesses are still the same, and his end product/decision making is the same if not marginally worse that last year. Even his goal against Chelsea was the unintended byproduct of a bizarre cross that Ricardo managed to rescue and put back in.

Like Maguire, he is overvalued because he is young and English.

And like Maguire, if a club pays a decent price I think we could do worse than sell up to fund improvements elsewhere.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
23 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Last summer I would have been very reluctant to sell Chilwell, but I'm fine with it now if I'm honest.

He's obviously still young, but he hasn't shown any sign of progressing further in his development this year. In fact I'd make the case that he's the only one of our younger players who has failed to improve under Rodgers, which in itself is a bit of a worry.

His weaknesses are still the same, and his end product/decision making is the same if not marginally worse that last year. Even his goal against Chelsea was the unintended byproduct of a bizarre cross that Ricardo managed to rescue and put back in.

Like Maguire, he is overvalued because he is young and English.

And like Maguire, if a club pays a decent price I think we could do worse than sell up to fund improvements elsewhere.

The implication here is he has peaked , if not, he is not working hard enough at his game. 

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

We don't necessarily need some giant midfielder but more just somebody with a bit of aggression about them. There's something very Arsenal latter years under Wenger about us - which is obviously good in some ways but bad in others.

I'm not saying I'd sign him necessarily as he'd cost a lot but I think someone like Doucoure strengthens us.

I know exactly what you mean about us being Arsenalesque under Wenger, it's all lovely when things goes our way and we can dictate how a game is played but when it doesn't unfold like that we can look very soft. 

Doucoure is exactly the sort of player but the one I'd go for is Leandro Paredes, he wants out of PSG and we could definitely get him with CL football.

• Like 1

I don't disagree with some of the midfielders mentioned but if we wtick with 4 3 3 then who are you dropping? N'Didi, Maddsion or Tielemans? And what does that tell us?

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

I don't disagree with some of the midfielders mentioned but if we wtick with 4 3 3 then who are you dropping? N'Didi, Maddsion or Tielemans? And what does that tell us?

We'll need one more in for CL football next season and in certain games another CM would need to be deployed.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I know exactly what you mean about us being Arsenalesque under Wenger, it's all lovely when things goes our way and we can dictate how a game is played but when it doesn't unfold like that we can look very soft. 

Doucoure is exactly the sort of player but the one I'd go for is Leandro Paredes, he wants out of PSG and we could definitely get him with CL football.

I feel like it's a common theme in our side. It's why Praet's a funny one - he's obviously good, but what does he offer that the others don't? We're a bit samey.

I think it's a collective problem. Not enough variety.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, urban fox said:

And that is exactly the sort of thinking that perpetuates the drivel spouted by so many so called pundits when talking about the "big" teams.

Assuming the ban sticks, what, apart from massive wages (Ok its a big factor - conceded) will Man City have to offer these players, particularly if the PL/FA also impose sanctions such as a points deduction?

A CL medal is probably the only gap in most of their squads honours list, who is to say that the lure of CL may be sufficient for some  of them to take a pay cut (they are all multi-millionaires already) ?

Obviously we, or other clubs like us, could not pay those sorts of wages, even if we could actually afford it, as that is, in part, what has landed them in this situation in the first place.

Some of these players may have no choice in the matter either. if Man city continue to pay over-inflated wages, then they will continue to breach FFP rules. They may be forced into a fire sale to balance the books.

There are several of their big names that have contracts that will expire before the ban ends.  Man city could well look to sell some on or risk losing them on a Bosman.

With all due respect to ourselves, if they wanted a CL medal, why would they come here? There are elite clubs in Italy, Spain, Germany and France that would all be more attractive than us.

In all likelihood the ban will be reduced to 1 year anyway, and I'd argue the majority of players will see out that year and look to reestablish themselves at the top of English football. 

10 hours ago, urban fox said:

if man city got banned from europe for two years, kicked out both domestic cup competition and given a points deduction next season in the league, i would still have them a shorter price in a match bet vs us to be the next club to win a trophy. let alone a champions league trophy. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2020 at 11:19, sdb said:

Agreed. He'll grow out of it in time. Or immediately if he joins us 😅

.. what makes you think so!! 

We already have Maddison who goes down too easily, we have endorsed it as we have not stop him doing it. 

I really do not want another Maddison like player coming here, in some way I would like Maddison to leave and we bring in a more dynamic player supporting the forwards. Taking in all the stats for Maddison it is strange that as soon as they sold him to us then they (Norwich) go and walk their league. They never missed him, £50m+ and I really think we could move forward without him. 

Magregor would suit the central midfield, leadership, experience and good football brain. Moving Youri forward really could be an option. 

6 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. what makes you think so!! 

We already have Maddison who goes down too easily, we have endorsed it as we have not stop him doing it. 

I really do not want another Maddison like player coming here, in some way I would like Maddison to leave and we bring in a more dynamic player supporting the forwards. Taking in all the stats for Maddison it is strange that as soon as they sold him to us then they (Norwich) go and walk their league. They never missed him, £50m+ and I really think we could move forward without him. 

Magregor would suit the central midfield, leadership, experience and good football brain. Moving Youri forward really could be an option. 

I'm not sure what you mean by 'more dynamic'.

Maddison's movement is terrific. In possession he can drop the shoulder, turn on a sixpence and play incisive balls through the eye of a needle. He has excellent close control and has a hell of a finish on him when he gets it right. Also, he often has to drop deep to collect the ball when those behind him aren't moving it quickly enough. His centre of gravity allows him to jink between challenges and spin in possession to put us on the front foot.

Players like Maddison are hard to come by and we're lucky to have him. We need more like him in my opinion. He just needs to stay composed a bit more in the final third, that's my only criticism of him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'more dynamic'.

Maddison's movement is terrific. In possession he can drop the shoulder, turn on a sixpence and play incisive balls through the eye of a needle. He has excellent close control and has a hell of a finish on him when he gets it right. Also, he often has to drop deep to collect the ball when those behind him aren't moving it quickly enough. His centre of gravity allows him to jink between challenges and spin in possession to put us on the front foot.

Players like Maddison are hard to come by and we're lucky to have him. We need more like him in my opinion. He just needs to stay composed a bit more in the final third, that's my only criticism of him.

Totally correct. 

Of course many might miss these moments of magic, due to queuing for pies, pints, pisses or standing in the concourse talking about the good old days of Danny Tiatto and Stephen Clemence😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1