Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

How modern football became broken beyond repair

How modern football became broken beyond repair

“We don’t want too many Leicester Citys.”

These were the words spoken by a senior figure from the Premier League’s ‘big six’ clubs, in the kind of high-end London hotel you can easily imagine.

“Football history suggests fans like big teams winning,” the official continued, to the group of business people and media figures present. “A certain amount of unpredictability is good, but a more democratic league would be bad for business.”

Exactly whose business would it be bad for? And why is football even viewed that way? The answers are among the biggest problems for the game right now.

• Thanks 3

I do wish it was more of a level playing field. I bet it was great the days of sides coming up and then going straight to challenge the league. I know Sheffield Utd are doing well this season, just as Ipswich/Reading did seasons before, but there's far too much money. Even in the second tier now we're seeing sides throw money about and gamble the club on trying to get up. Clubs like Villa, Wednesday, Forest with all their history. Pretty sure I read Villa nearly went into admin before coming back up and that should never happen to a club like Villa.

I'll always love football, I still now get a buzz on the morning when I know I'm going to a game, but the money is outrageous and a joke. Even we're in a position where we can hold out for £80m! £80m for an average player. We're not talking Ronaldo, Zidane, Maldini levels.

The whole "[insert big club] are in transition" too pisses me off. Mentioned it before on here but if it's a smaller / average club bottom of the league it's "they are a bad side" but if it's a bigger club having an average / poor season it's "oh well they are in transition".

• Like 3

This ain't gonna be a popular opinion on here but imo the EPL is one of the main reasons football has headed to this state, it's created such an artificial bubble.

I'm also a hypocrite as I pay for Sky and BT and watch any EPL game that's on TV if it doesn't clash with Celtic.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

This ain't gonna be a popular opinion on here but imo the EPL is one of the main reasons football has headed to this state, it's created such an artificial bubble.

I'm also a hypocrite as I pay for Sky and BT and watch any EPL game that's on TV if it doesn't clash with Celtic.

Doubt you'll find anybody that disagrees with you on that to be fair. If anything you'll be Mr Popular with an opinion like that

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

Im hopeful for Amazon coming in with the streaming service and pushing all games back too Saturday. **** Sky off and give control back too the clubs.

That will be the final nail in the coffin as the already rich clubs will  domunate the viewing fuiures and therefore te income.  Whilst not a lover of the current system at least the coverage and revueue is spread out to a degree,  when all games are televised live then the rich will just continue to get richer while clubs further down the food chain will wither.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

footballers were balding northerners 

tackles were late and hard. 

there no fight,

bring back mitre boots and the magic sponge. 

I've said it before when talking about missing something of the frisson of danger and sense of male culture that was still just about alive on the Raw Dykes Road when I started going to games in the early nineties, and I risk straying into unenlightened knuckle-dragger territory, BUT:

I do miss the game being harder and more working class

3 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Fast falling out of love with football, which was unthinkable a few years ago for me. This season's fortunes have reignited my passion, but genuinely never been more disinterested in the rest of the game.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm a neanderthal at 30 already, but it just ain't the game I fell in love.

I think for me its the demise of the international game.

Italia 90' is the first big tournamount i remember, that cemented my passion for football, Gazza crying the passion of it all got to me.

I watch international football now and its devoid of any passion, its so clinical they are all bred into the game, like machines, the FA dont help with their manager appointment ments.

the only thing i like about football these days is shouting at my beloved Leicester City.

I miss things like Terry Butchers head bandage, i just miss the old times.

This is why i like what Madders has been up to, for me an artist in any industry should be a bit in balanced, but that seems to not be allowed these days.

Also **** Man utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and most of all Chelsea, they are the opposite of what football should be about.

1 hour ago, Robo61 said:

That will be the final nail in the coffin as the already rich clubs will  domunate the viewing fuiures and therefore te income.  Whilst not a lover of the current system at least the coverage and revueue is spread out to a degree,  when all games are televised live then the rich will just continue to get richer while clubs further down the food chain will wither.

Not particularly. As people will have a freedom of what too watch. At the moment you're subject to whats being shown. If all 10 EPL games were shown 'live' at 3pm on a sat, it would be interesting too see the viewing figures on each.

16 minutes ago, Cujek said:

I think for me its the demise of the international game.

Italia 90' is the first big tournamount i remember, that cemented my passion for football, Gazza crying the passion of it all got to me.

I watch international football now and its devoid of any passion, its so clinical they are all bred into the game, like machines, the FA dont help with their manager appointment ments.

the only thing i like about football these days is shouting at my beloved Leicester City.

I miss things like Terry Butchers head bandage, i just miss the old times.

This is why i like what Madders has been up to, for me an artist in any industry should be a bit in balanced, but that seems to not be allowed these days.

Also **** Man utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and most of all Chelsea, they are the opposite of what football should be about.

In many respects you can blame the fans for a lack of characters in the game as they are great at giving ‘it’ out but moan loudly if a player does anything characterful forcing the FA and clubs to clamp down on them.

The sense of fun has disappeared from the game it’s all so very intense now.

2 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

Good article, bloody massive though.

When I read these things, it leaves me thinking "I hope they do a European super league and **** off"

I sometimes think that, but then I imagine what it'll be like in the future... "Well I support Liverpool/Man United/Spurs in the ESL, but Leicester are my English team." Fvck that.

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Hardly, as said you'll find very little opposition. The only people who disagree are the types who want us to be a "big club" at all costs, even if it means shitting on exactly the kind of club we were pre-2016.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

In many respects you can blame the fans for a lack of characters in the game as they are great at giving ‘it’ out but moan loudly if a player does anything characterful forcing the FA and clubs to clamp down on them.

The sense of fun has disappeared from the game it’s all so very intense now.

there is huge pressure on players, can you imagine us getting on the backs of players like we do now when we played at Filbert street?

the moans and groans when a players looses the ball or makes a miss placed pass is cringeworthy.

I think the game misses players like Barton, who for me was the last player of his type in a long line going back to people like Norman Hunter and Billy Bremner.

its all so sanitized and controlled now.

Whilst I agree the fans do have a part to play in it, but its the money that has created the way fans behave.

when we was in league one and i would go to every game, home and away and sometimes i would sit there with the other 15 or 16 thousand people, having a whale of time.

now i sit there thinking who on earth are these bellends i am surronded by.

I guess its just a sign of the times.

5 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Fast falling out of love with football, which was unthinkable a few years ago for me. This season's fortunes have reignited my passion, but genuinely never been more disinterested in the rest of the game.

Maybe it's me, maybe I'm a neanderthal at 30 already, but it just ain't the game I fell in love.

I feel a little bit like that this season but its more down to VAR for me, just seems to be a million miles away from my first game back in 91, I've been watching a bit of none league football this season and I've got to say I've really enjoyed it.