Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

How modern football became broken beyond repair

5 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Football is heading into a horrible place, particularly at the top level and money is entirely to blame. Sweaty men sat on mountains of cash are pulling the strings and the Qatar world cup is another big nail in the already decrepit coffin.

Football ,players in each past & future generation were/are NOT heading to any horrible place...Its the platforms und high-fluted organisations that is behind them.

The game itself will always Entertain & be played, on the tips,streets,between mates,organised amateur clubs,and profis...

Its the shit behind Football ( Not Even the money) the wrong People Holding sway......

Agents also should be controlled and forced in regulations,then  law,to become affiliated to football and held also to regulations...

FIFA,or other Football organisations:.Football has enough money,to see they are Not an outside Source or platform. but Contained  and Held within

each national clubs spectrum,across the National leagues linking and interfacing with their European counterparts.Then Ditto interesting with S.American,African,Asian counterparts..

Ex-players, & refs who have interest should be encourage and prevent them being Simply discarded or Fall put of the Sport many ,can be de

educated,and Trained into such necessary organisations & memberships. Some as a representative to their chosen ex-clubs,some within Independent platforms relevant to the game.

Some reckon we have some dickheads as pundits,but rather ex-player/Refs/managers dickheads,involved than dozos from outside.

There will always be different/opposite opinions,and Thoughts how things,should be Run and decisions made, that wont ever be resolved....

IMO ,Force the issue,let it be football-folk,or even from another sport...Those mentioned folk are ,can be,should be in future sporting organisations politicians,presidents,chairman und organisors...There are enough EXes on this Planet,who are more than capable...

Drop the independent Agent idea,and have player representatives from within the game but no Club reliance,backed rather  by the players union/ or not...!!

Bring Football & sport back to the home front...

Owners,club boards and directors,stay Independent as before..

4 hours ago, Cujek said:

I think for me its the demise of the international game.

Italia 90' is the first big tournamount i remember, that cemented my passion for football, Gazza crying the passion of it all got to me.

I watch international football now and its devoid of any passion, its so clinical they are all bred into the game, like machines, the FA dont help with their manager appointment ments.

the only thing i like about football these days is shouting at my beloved Leicester City.

I miss things like Terry Butchers head bandage, i just miss the old times.

This is why i like what Madders has been up to, for me an artist in any industry should be a bit in balanced, but that seems to not be allowed these days.

Also **** Man utd, Liverpool, Arsenal and most of all Chelsea, they are the opposite of what football should be about.

Think most people would agree - its just a media story trying to make a bigger media story by creating the outrage of the day. He's a young lad having a break. Good luck to him.

On the other hand,  I do wish Madders would stop falling over any time there is the faintest whiff of a breeze. Its embarrassing and I don't like it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

This ain't gonna be a popular opinion on here but imo the EPL is one of the main reasons football has headed to this state, it's created such an artificial bubble.

I'm also a hypocrite as I pay for Sky and BT and watch any EPL game that's on TV if it doesn't clash with Celtic.

The Premier League is a big reason for it but I do feel like it was an inevitability either way and if it wasn't the Premier League, it would be another league doing similar. I honestly see absolutely no way you reverse this - they say before it's too late but how is it not already past that point? A select group of clubs as it states continue to call the shots. As stated every bit of negotiation seems to just strengthen these select clubs.

I speak about football frequently and still attend a stupidly high number of games but articles like this just make me question my own sanity to be honest - it's fundamentally a shambles, it's entirely about business over sport and it quite honestly deserves to blow up in the faces of so many people involved in it. It's not quite WWE but it's heading that way.

The number of records being broken is quite telling. It's a frequent thing within the game now. It's just not all that impressive when it's effectively been structured for these things to happen.

Bayern Munich, PSG, Juventus and Real Madrid could win their leagues this season and still have a sizeable proportion of their fans think that their season was a failure. If that doesn't tell you the sport is broken I don't know what does.

Edited by Dan LCFC
  • Like 4

Crikey…. It’s not that bad!  The standard of football is fantastic in the prem…

just because some boorish money man from a top 6 club didn’t fancy it, doesn’t mean the whole game is rotten?

we won the prem, Wigan won the FA cup in living memory and there’ll be the odd upset always…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daggers said:

If people think there was a halcyon time when faceless men sat in boardrooms striving to make the game more accessible to the common man, and placed community before profit, then they’re sadly deluded and have scant grasp on the history of the game.

But there was a better time, and it has fvck all to do with danger or the hardness of fans - the 80s were seriously shit for an away fan looking to enjoy a match.

There was a time when you could arrive at the ground and afford to go through the turnstiles, when the game kicked off at 3 every Saturday, and you could stand. The people who ruined this weren’t sitting in board rooms, they were throwing darts from one pen into another.

Hooliganism killed the game because every normal thinking person in society knew it was an abhorrent way to behave. The violence and boorish behaviour was toxic within society and those who hanker for that as some kind of return to football’s soul are either challenged or just fvcking dim.

I love and hate fan villages, half and half scarves and clappers in equal measure - but then I’ve always been a football tourist. I’ve travelled to see foreign teams I admired, I’ve gone to games of the local sides wherever I’ve lived, I loved that shit. 

Football is what it is, it evolves. Hankering for a golden era is like pretending the 1960s was best for music or that everywhere in England used to be in competition to be used as a picture on top of a chocolate box. There are things in the present I dislike, there’ll be aspects in the future I’ll loathe, but I still get enjoyment from watching ‘the game’. And, for me, my greatest enjoyment would come from watching us when we’re shit again. Sorry.

"Pretending the 60`s` was best for music".........WHAT!.......NEVER IN QUESTION!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Lako42 said:

I'll be out soon

I reckon season after next I might not even bother with a ST. 

I have always been a hardcore fan, I am generally bored of the entire thing these days.  

Watching Arsenal v Southampton as the late game on a Saturday does nothing for me. But wait the Arse are a "top 6 brand" and so I should be excited. :nigel:

Guest Markyblue
48 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

"Pretending the 60`s` was best for music".........WHAT!.......NEVER IN QUESTION!

Yea, the beatles, the stones , the who , motown verses x factor manufacturerd crap tough call.

14 hours ago, Daggers said:

If people think there was a halcyon time when faceless men sat in boardrooms striving to make the game more accessible to the common man, and placed community before profit, then they’re sadly deluded and have scant grasp on the history of the game.

But there was a better time, and it has fvck all to do with danger or the hardness of fans - the 80s were seriously shit for an away fan looking to enjoy a match.

There was a time when you could arrive at the ground and afford to go through the turnstiles, when the game kicked off at 3 every Saturday, and you could stand. The people who ruined this weren’t sitting in board rooms, they were throwing darts from one pen into another.

Hooliganism killed the game because every normal thinking person in society knew it was an abhorrent way to behave. The violence and boorish behaviour was toxic within society and those who hanker for that as some kind of return to football’s soul are either challenged or just fvcking dim.

I love and hate fan villages, half and half scarves and clappers in equal measure - but then I’ve always been a football tourist. I’ve travelled to see foreign teams I admired, I’ve gone to games of the local sides wherever I’ve lived, I loved that shit. 

Football is what it is, it evolves. Hankering for a golden era is like pretending the 1960s was best for music or that everywhere in England used to be in competition to be used as a picture on top of a chocolate box. There are things in the present I dislike, there’ll be aspects in the future I’ll loathe, but I still get enjoyment from watching ‘the game’. And, for me, my greatest enjoyment would come from watching us when we’re shit again. Sorry.

I started going to football in the 70’s when the demographic of the crowd was overwhelmingly white, male and working class.  The only diversity was that it was a game for all ages.  I went away to Uni then got married soon afterwards, kids came along, etc by which time I was out of the habit of going.  Friends weren’t into football so there was no-one to drag along on a cold Saturday afternoon to stand in the rain and risk having the shit kicked out of us on the way home (We live near Mansfield so that is a real risk 😀).  Going to matches became an occasional event when the option to roll up on the day and pay at the turnstiles largely disappeared.

Football has changed though.  Now in my mid-50’s I can sit on the Kop (or stand if we can get tickets in the right place) with my wife and adult kids.  We can sing, chant, get caught up in the ‘limbs’ when we score and feel safe.  We can talk about the game and watch a ridiculous amount on TV so know far more about other teams than we ever did before.  I used to get excited about the prospect of Best, Keegan, Toshack etc coming to Filbert Street, players we had only read about or watched brief clips of on Match of the Day, Star Soccer or Football Focus.  Now we are getting excited at the very real prospect of seeing the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar etc at the KP next year.

Money has changed the game no doubt - I don’t like paying £40 each for Man City but hopefully we get STs next year which will bring the football spend down a fair bit. But this is changing: 10 years or so ago ‘big’ clubs got most of their revenue from rich owners and commercial operations with a lower proportion from TV.  TV money has increased dramatically and is much more evenly spread, more wealthy owners are wanting to be involved hence the likes of us can compete which is why the likes of Arsenal in particular are shitting themselves.

No doubt the game in England is at another crossroads because some of the ‘big clubs’ feel threatened but I sense a real opportunity now and I hope the mid-sized and smaller clubs are not going to let themselves be pushed around this time.

Edited by CUJimmy
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, trabuch said:

Leicester City is doing its damnedest to save football in England (as far as I'm concerned). 

I'm unsure about this. I think we've put up the single best fight against the big clubs out of everybody (which is very commendable for a club of our size really) but I'm sure we as a club voted in favour of giving the big clubs more of the TV money or something daft like that.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm unsure about this. I think we've put up the single best fight against the big clubs out of everybody (which is very commendable for a club of our size really) but I'm sure we as a club voted in favour of giving the big clubs more of the TV money or something daft like that.

Yes the overseas revenue. I guess if we qualify for the CL they'll feel justified.

The only real chance of breaking into the top 6 in a serious way will be to qualify for the CL at least 2 years on the trot, the 2nd Year is always the killer because you need massive resources to compete in 4 competitions and maintain a top 4 position, bear in mind also that if we're in the CL then there's at least 3 big 6 teams that are not and so they are in a better position to challenge for a top 4 place that 2nd season.

18 hours ago, Daggers said:

bollocks

you sound like one of those people who say "well i'm not doing anything illegal so i don't have to worry" as our liberties are eroded in the name of "security"

• Like 1

The sports totally messed up, you have clubs out there dying and you have agents earning enough money to keep leagues afloat! And you have mediocre players earning more money then some of the Top CEOs for some of the biggest companies. The concept of money in Football has totally gone, it's all wooden nickels really. £15m for a player seems like peanuts, but think how many peoples lives change with that amount alone!

Coupled with the fact that the Top teams want to safe-guard their power, widen their market out with a new European Super League and the absolute Dross that is UK officiating (especially with VAR here).... it is indeed a testing time to be a footballer.

Just stick salary caps, and transfer fee caps and be done with it.

• Like 1