Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxile5

What's everyone cooking?

23 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Did you cure a whole side? 

What was your mix? 

Yeah, whole side of salmon. Had the fishmonger pin-bone and scale it. 

1kg salmon = 90g brown sugar, 125g sea salt, 2 raw beetroot, 80g blackberry, 3 juniper berries crushed, and 4tbsp gin.

20 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

What's the process for curing? 

Basically cold-cooking the salmon using a lot of sugar and salt. You coat it in your desired flavouring (beetroot seems to be a favourite) and wrap in cling and weigh down. Leave for 2-3 days in the fridge, then wash off the mix.

Dead easy. Gordon does something similar here, but his process is quicker.

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Yeah, whole side of salmon. Had the fishmonger pin-bone and scale it. 

1kg salmon = 90g brown sugar, 125g sea salt, 2 raw beetroot, 80g blackberry, 3 juniper berries crushed, and 4tbsp gin.

Basically cold-cooking the salmon using a lot of sugar and salt. You coat it in your desired flavouring (beetroot seems to be a favourite) and wrap in cling and weigh down. Leave for 2-3 days in the fridge.

Dead easy. Gordon does something similar here, but his process is quicker.

Aha yeah I did about twice that salt for half a side of salmon(tho I was aiming for a quick cure) so might explain why it was mega salty. 

2 hours ago, SecretPro said:

Anything vegan Japanese, Cantonese, Korean, Chinese and Vietnamese then I'm your man.

Traditional Banh Mi must have ingredients? 

So many variations online

Edited by EastAnglianFox

1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Traditional Banh Mi must have ingredients? 

So many variations online

Pickled daikon radish and red pickled ginger are a must! Chilli salted tofu in mine is a winner.

Edited by SecretPro

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Been watching Masterchef - I always wonder how some people cook the way they do. Surely no amateur is making beetroot tweel at home!

ha ha. I have been trying off and on for ages  to cook pommes souflees .I just love them when I've had them in French restaurants- just potato and oil for frying and a 3 line recipe  guide from a chef - never managed it yet - the little feckers never behave like they should 

On 03/03/2020 at 16:30, stretch1965 said:

My dish usually on a sunday is a good sized seasoned piece of beef brisket cooked in red wine in a slow cooker, the beef just falls apart. its piss easy

Sear/seal beef in a frying pan then add to slow cooker with two glasses merlot or sav/cab shallots and two beef stock pots then cook for 7 hours.

I then make the gravy with jus it was cooked in which takes great flavour from the beef by sieving into a saucepan and thicken with beef gravy granuals.

Here's the best bit,

I make sure I have enough left over to make pulled beef brisket burgers the next day in lightly toasted brioche buns, monteray jack cheese with a few jalapenos. 

Vegetarian option not available...……………………….

Had this on sunday. Never done brisket before and what a revelation!

• Like 2

On 11/03/2020 at 12:07, foxile5 said:

Been watching Masterchef - I always wonder how some people cook the way they do. Surely no amateur is making beetroot tweel at home!

Tbf the woman that attempted that failed miserably. Amusing that she was described as interested molecular gastronomy and then made a bad stir fry.

45 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Hard to do aint they - time consuming and such?

Nah I wouldn't say they're any harder than making a curry. It takes a long time to cook and you have to keep an eye on it and stir it often so no good if you're out but if you're around home it doesn't take up your time once it's on. Still basically one pot cooking tbh. 

You can use a pressure cooker to shorten the time but I didn't think it was anywhere near as good when I did that

15 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Tbf the woman that attempted that failed miserably. Amusing that she was described as interested molecular gastronomy and then made a bad stir fry.

Oh yeah, she was a tool.

All the talk non of the walk. 

I like the look of that Amy Vyse this year and Max too. They seem to be cooking to the judge's tastes. 

Saddened that Jay Rayner's episode has been and gone - he always makes me chuckle.

Hopefully this thread will be a bit useful during what looks to be a period of shortage and resiliency.

I'm thinking of getting a casserole on the go in the slow cooker this evening, using dead basic ingredients. Anyone got any isolation cookery to share?

Just made a Lemon drissel cake - 1st time i cooked a cake in years :D It looks like its doing ok (it has at least risen) so will update later with what it tastes like. 

Yesterday made batches of Tomatoe soup and Carrot and Corriander soup to freeze for lunchs in the coming weeks. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Just made a Lemon drissel cake - 1st time i cooked a cake in years :D It looks like its doing ok (it has at least risen) so will update later with what it tastes like. 

Yesterday made batches of Tomatoe soup and Carrot and Corriander soup to freeze for lunchs in the coming weeks. 

So it was you..!! Buying up all the lemons,Tomatoes und Carrots....Corriander I'll Let you off....

By the way...how many freezers have you been stock-piling...:teehee:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

So it was you..!! Buying up all the lemons,Tomatoes und Carrots....Corriander I'll Let you off....

By the way...how many freezers have you been stock-piling...:teehee:

x2 Freezers but i'm not really stock pilling, i tend to batch cook anyway as silly to make all the mess and have so much washing up for 1 soup every day. When i do the soup i usually make enough for 1 weeks lunch's but was on a roll yesterday so made 2 weeks worth. (i guess thats semi stock pilling? :blush: )

36 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

x2 Freezers but i'm not really stock pilling, i tend to batch cook anyway as silly to make all the mess and have so much washing up for 1 soup every day. When i do the soup i usually make enough for 1 weeks lunch's but was on a roll yesterday so made 2 weeks worth. (i guess thats semi stock pilling? :blush: )

Off to the Stocks with you..lol

Actually for making/creating soups,or Pesto, thats what I tend to do.  Mind you like all men in the kitchen,I Love Making a mess,its the only Proof I have,

that I help my Wife in the kitchen....:D   

Also helps getting out of the washing up, always leave something behind on the pots & crockery,then the wife asks me to forget it..!! She will do it,then she knows itss done right..!!!   Crafty fox that I am, its called experience..:ph34r:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Haha 1